• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    its 18% for online bids and 10% bids. Also don't forget the 7% sales tax on top of it.

This. And the sales tax gets charged on top of the price of the gun plus the buyer's premium. So an "in person" bid = price +10% plus 7% of (price +10%) making the total price about 18% more than the winning bid. Online would probably work out to closer to the price of the winning bid + 26% when calculated like this.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    This. And the sales tax gets charged on top of the price of the gun plus the buyer's premium. So an "in person" bid = price +10% plus 7% of (price +10%) making the total price about 18% more than the winning bid. Online would probably work out to closer to the price of the winning bid + 26% when calculated like this.

Wow... DD you sure know your auctions... Many thanks for sharing

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    Ok I have a question. Lot 117 is a sporterized mauser 98 that the bids are already up to $2750.00. I don't see anything special about it but don't really know anything about them. Why is this one going so high.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ok I have a question. Lot 117 is a sporterized mauser 98 that the bids are already up to $2750.00. I don't see anything special about it but don't really know anything about them. Why is this one going so high.

Wow... Just looked at it and in my opinion it's about a $300-$400 gun. It's a nice sporter, but I didn't see anything unusual about it. Maybe just auction fever getting the best of peoples' common sense?

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    That rifle may be listed incorrectly, Is it sporterized?? That is a Commercial Sporter Mauser hunting rifle. Real rare.. They were made to high standards of quality ... Also that scope is very very very nice it has alot to do with the price

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    "Wait, what??? I only meant to bid $275.00!!" :faint:

Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. :)

I just looked at the bid increments, though, and someone jumped to $2.5k, then it went to $2,750. Someone is doing this on purpose.

Oh, and I think I have a lead on why this one is so unique. The picture of the band between the scope mount and the rear sight (I have no idea what that part is called) appears to have Chinese characters partially obscured by the stock. Quick google search revealed:
    The Chinese model 1907 rifles in 6.8 m/m and were made only in 1908 and in very small numbers. (Many others of the same model were made for China in 7 m/m and 7.9 m/m, all before 1910.)

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    That rifle may be listed incorrectly, Is it sporterized?? That is a Commercial Sporter Mauser hunting rifle. Real rare.. They were made to high standards of quality ... Also that scope is very very very nice it has alot to do with the price

This is correct. If the scope didn't look like it had been bounced around in the bottom of a land rover racing across the Serengeti it would be listed for probably 6G on GB. The rifle looks just fine though. And when was the last time you saw a sporterized military Mauser with a dual set trigger set up? This is a fairly rare bird.

This is listed as caliber unknown...to find the caliber they would have to remove it from the stock and look at the stamping on the bottom of the barrel.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I was wondering about that Mauser too. Thanks for the clarification. Glad to see the things I’m looking at aren’t too crazy at this point.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    This is correct. If the scope didn't look like it had been bounced around in the bottom of a land rover racing across the Serengeti it would be listed for probably 6G on GB.

Give it time, the real bidders have not even started yet..

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

This is correct. If the scope didn't look like it had been bounced around in the bottom of a land rover racing across the Serengeti it would be listed for probably 6G on GB. The rifle looks just fine though. And when was the last time you saw a sporterized military Mauser with a dual set trigger set up? This is a fairly rare bird.

This is listed as caliber unknown...to find the caliber they would have to remove it from the stock and look at the stamping on the bottom of the barrel.

Ah, this makes sense. I didn't notice the double set triggers. The listing does just say "Sporterized with painted scope".

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    There are several I've been watching that have bids that seem way out of hand. Like Lot #27. A Remington Rand 1911A1. The high bid is $750, which is almost twice what I would consider a good deal on it. Meanwhile, there are others with more collectability sitting with very low bid amounts. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    There are several I've been watching that have bids that seem way out of hand. Like Lot #27. A Remington Rand 1911A1. The high bid is $750, which is almost twice what I would consider a good deal on it. Meanwhile, there are others with more collectability sitting with very low bid amounts. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.
    I'm planning on going to the Friday preview. Probably going to print out the list of the lots and make some notes to take with me to the live auction. Going to have the grandkids overnight Friday though, so that may throw a wrench into my plans for attending in person, but hopefully not. Maybe I can take the grandson. :)

Top Bottom