• ...and so much more!
  • DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As far as auction fever goes, it's not limited to live auctions. I'm starting to go back to my old strategy on Gunbroker auctions (at least if they're going to end past my bed time). I place my max bid, then shut down the computer and see how I did the next morning. Just too easy to keep going, "Okay, just one more bump and then I'll quit. What?? Outbid?? Okay, just one more bid..." ad empty walletum. :):

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm gong to take a pie-in-the-sky guess that you wear a belt AND suspenders. ;)

Having met Rob, I can attest to the fact that this is not true... at least not when I met him. :):

Nope, I don't, but I am always pulling my pants up, so maybe it's not a bad idea.

I guess I should have been clearer, I didn't attend the auction to make sure I won that particular item. It was just an odd circumstance that I thought was worth sharing.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Nope, I don't, but I am always pulling my pants up, so maybe it's not a bad idea.

I guess I should have been clearer, I didn't attend the auction to make sure I won that particular item. It was just an odd circumstance that I thought was worth sharing.
    haha

At least you wear pants, unlike certain INGOers. ;)

Nah, your post was clear that it was actually a money-saving option. Made total sense.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Lot 64 (looks like a rack grade RR) is at $825, lot 66 (the service grade Ithaca) is at $775. To quote Roger Daltry, I can't explain.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Most of what I initially bid on is way over what it’s worth already.

screw it. I was gonna go on Saturday but now I believe I’ll pass. I just bought a new suppressor today instead.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I have more of a dilemma. The item that I really, really want is still at a very reasonable price, far below market value. However, the current high bidder is a username from previous auctions that I recognize, it's very distinctive. I know that he is someone with very deep pockets that is pretty much always willing to go higher than what I am. Consequently, I am only likely to push the bidding higher without actually winning it. The only chance I have is if he hasn't recognized the unusual thing about this gun that makes it so valuable, but I know he has the same interests as me and likely sees it as well. Right now he is winning with a $50 bid on a $2000 gun.

boogieman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    under your bed!!!
    I have more of a dilemma. The item that I really, really want is still at a very reasonable price, far below market value. However, the current high bidder is a username from previous auctions that I recognize, it's very distinctive. I know that he is someone with very deep pockets that is pretty much always willing to go higher than what I am. Consequently, I am only likely to push the bidding higher without actually winning it. The only chance I have is if he hasn't recognized the unusual thing about this gun that makes it so valuable, but I know he has the same interests as me and likely sees it as well. Right now he is winning with a $50 bid on a $2000 gun.

Set yourself a limit and push up to it. If he wants it bad enough make him pay as much as you can for it. If not you might get it.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    There are several I've been watching that have bids that seem way out of hand. Like Lot #27. A Remington Rand 1911A1. The high bid is $750, which is almost twice what I would consider a good deal on it. Meanwhile, there are others with more collectability sitting with very low bid amounts. There seems to be no rhyme or reason.

What is it about that Remington Rand that puts it at $375 in value to you? It has some pitting but is in better condition than the RR that I have. It’s up to $825 right now which would not be bad except after commissions and fees, that makes it closer to $1050 online.

COOPADUP

Accipiter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 8, 2017
    Hamilton County
    What is it about that Remington Rand that puts it at $375 in value to you? It has some pitting but is in better condition than the RR that I have. It’s up to $825 right now which would not be bad except after commissions and fees, that makes it closer to $1050 online.

I have a friend who owns his father's RR from WW2.
    Pristine shape as he was a pilot.
    So this one was not sent back for refurbishment.
    Estimated value is over 3 grand.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove

Several things. The Remington Rand was the most numerous WWII issue, so there is virtually no collectability. It's not in very good shape. There is no shortage of used 1911s available in the $500 range. I've bought two of these, and never paid more than $350.

If it was between a Remington Rand in good shape or a "modern" used 1911 for $500, I'd probably pick the Remington Rand, but none of the examples in this auction are in particularly good shape.

I will say that one of my Remington Rands is the best shooting 1911 I have. It would be interesting to know what the round count was on that one before I bought it. It was WELL used before I got it.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    The 29-2 in Lot 1 is up to $750. I saw it today, has a couple scratches on the barrel. The Colt 1911 (from 1918) in Lot 65 is gonna go for a crazy price.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I stopped in this morning and marked the ones in the catalog that interested me. Still have maybe 8 or so that are still in the running price-wise. We shall see. May go home empty handed. Unfortunately, some of the rifles will probably not have come up before I have to leave. Grandkids coming for Christmas and I have to make lunch/dinner. I'm mainly interested in the pistols though, so hopefully I can stay for all of those.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I stopped in this morning and marked the ones in the catalog that interested me. Still have maybe 8 or so that are still in the running price-wise. We shall see. May go home empty handed. Unfortunately, some of the rifles will probably not have come up before I have to leave. Grandkids coming for Christmas and I have to make lunch/dinner. I'm mainly interested in the pistols though, so hopefully I can stay for all of those.

If I'm empty handed after the pistols there are a couple shotguns that interest me. The 870 .410 looked really good, but it's at $350 now. Still don't know why the RR 1911A1s are going higher than the Ithaca.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    If I'm empty handed after the pistols there are a couple shotguns that interest me. The 870 .410 looked really good, but it's at $350 now. Still don't know why the RR 1911A1s are going higher than the Ithaca.

There were a lot of nice shotguns, but those just aren't my thing. The Winchester 1897 was cool, but it's already out of my price range.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    There were a lot of nice shotguns, but those just aren't my thing. The Winchester 1897 was cool, but it's already out of my price range.

I just traded off a 1897 12ga with a 32" barrel made in 1914 as partial trade for the 1873 yesterday. Must be sitting in the LGS unless it has already been adopted...

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    The 29-2 in Lot 1 is up to $750. I saw it today, has a couple scratches on the barrel. The Colt 1911 (from 1918) in Lot 65 is gonna go for a crazy price.

I watched that 29 for awhile, it's in average shape, definitely just shooter grade, not worth 750.00 plus fees, i've seen nicer ones sell cheaper on gunbroker.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I watched that 29 for awhile, it's in average shape, definitely just shooter grade, not worth 750.00 plus fees, i've seen nicer ones sell cheaper on gunbroker.
    auctions make people crazy. Haven’t sighted doggie daddy yet

Top Bottom