• ...and so much more!
  • singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    So many diet plans and methods out there, my plan is to eat less than I burn daily, the difference made up by my fat stores. Workout at least 4 times a week. Been on this plan for 2 months and loss 6 lbs so far. Food groups that I cut out: any type of chips, soda, ice cream, sweets (cakes, cookies, candy bars, etc), no microwave food, no over processed foods.

Good luck to all attempting to get healthier.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Still going strong. This morning while getting dressed for work I found my belt to be pleasantly loose on its tightest. Slid an IWB holster for my glock 32 on and could still wear my belt at it's tightest. Awesome. around 4 inches in my waist and all of the sudden a new way to carry comfortably is open to me. Really enjoying this whole experience.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I ate well this weekend. Kept my fasting hours right, but man did I eat well. Saturday was a typical overnight oats/boiled egg. Dinner was at the local Mexican joint, had a fajita just ate it with a fork rather than loading it into a flour tortilla. Breakfast on sunday went with the wife to our favorite spot in Batesville and had my usual goetta mix, and I ate the whole wheat toast. I grill sunday afternoon prepping meals for the week. Grilled chicken breast, fresh medly of grilled veggies. Woke up this morning feeling smaller than before.

Clothes are getting looser, I'm less lethargic, and generally better to be around. All men know that inches equal confidence and they are melting away :D lol. If intermittent fasting has done anything for me, it has helped train me in portion control and managing food cravings. Long term I hope to move into a more normal eating pattern, but I hope to never stop being a cleaner eater. But for now I'm sticking with IF and I'm loving feeling my clothes drape looser over me everyday.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Wearing a work shirt that I haven't fit into in 3 years. I ordered a Tshirt and some stuff from LaRue a couple months ago, shipped out finally and now the shirt is a dress. Very happy with fasting.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I too am seeing my clothes fitting a bit looser. As said upthread, I'm not fasting but am on a macro diet. I do admit that at times all the measuring and counting can feel like a chore. But I find food prep'ing on Sunday helps.

Ggreen- sounds like good progress good job staying on track

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Left is tonight, right was after a 5 hour day parking cars and sweating. I found out I had pneumonia a couple days later and the scale said 295. Idk what I weigh now, but IF is no joke if you take it seriously.
    Left shirt is xl right is xxl
    fUAODps.jpg

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ggreen- nice progress. When did you actually start intermittent fasting? I went back to your OP but didn't pick up if you had already started it or if you were about to start. Again nice progress
    A coworker is doing a fasting diet and was talking about drinking some salt water solution and not eating at all for 2 days then eat 2 small meals following that pattern. Are you supplementing in any way for the missed meals or just a multivitamin?

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Ggreen- nice progress. When did you actually start intermittent fasting? I went back to your OP but didn't pick up if you had already started it or if you were about to start. Again nice progress
    A coworker is doing a fasting diet and was talking about drinking some salt water solution and not eating at all for 2 days then eat 2 small meals following that pattern. Are you supplementing in any way for the missed meals or just a multivitamin?

That is not intermittent fasting. I'm eating daily, but only in an 8 hour window. 2 non consecutive days a week I consume less than 600 calories and the other five I do my best to stay under 2k. I've only been going for about 3 weeks. I did fast for 48 hours when I started this, but that was more of a liquid diet cleanse.

bjlay2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2018
    Shelbyville
    I have seen people do the fasting diet and it works for a couple of weeks because it is a drastic change in their lifestyle. A lot of weight that is lost in the first couple of weeks is water weight. Any diet is better than no diet but not all diets are created equal. I have been living the body building lifestyle for the last 13 years. I am not a body builder in the sense that I compete or take performance enhancers but I love going to the gym to lift and I am constantly on either a "cut" or a "bulk". Yes, bulking is always more fun but even with bulking you have to eat the right foods or you will put on too much fat.

When it comes to losing fat, lowering your carbs is the key. First you need to know at what calorie level it takes for your body to maintain it's current body weight. Once you figure that out, drop your calories 500 per day (if lifting). If you are not doing any sort of exercise where you require nutrients for your muscles to repair, you could drop a little more. Either way, the trick is to slowly lower your calories so you're not always starving. Most people make drastic changes and end up starving a few weeks into their diet and it becomes "too hard" to maintain. As you lose weight, your body will require less calories to function and you will not feel as hungry the less you eat.

If you strictly focus on carbs alone, you can achieve just about any result desired. When you eat more proteins and fats and an extremely low amount of carbs, your body starts using it's own fat for energy. A lot of people are scared to eat anything with fat in it because they are afraid it will make them fat. If you get your body into this fat burning mode, the fat you eat will burn just as easily. Carbs convert into sugar and then to insulin. If your body doesn't use this insulin, it will store as fat.

If you can strive to lower your carb intake to 25% of what your are currently consuming, you will see results pretty easily. Once you start this diet, keep lowering calories every 2-3 weeks (by about 100-150 calories each time). I have lost 45lbs of fat in a matter of 12 weeks by doing this. Keep in mind I lifted weights and did a lot of walking during this so I was burning more calories than someone doing a diet alone.

As mentioned above, it is a lifestyle change. It does help to get on the scale as well. Do it once a week and chart your progress. If you do it daily you might get discouraged by the fluctuations in your body fluids. A healthy loss is 1-2lbs per week. Depending on your size you could lose more per week but don't expect the results you get in the first few weeks to continue later into the diet.

Just keep your goals in your sights and you'll be fine!

Good Luck!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Water weight is a lie. I consume as much or more water now than before, so my water weight has not changed. I'm not suddenly dehydrated, if anything I was very dehydrated in my before picture I posted, I think I had 1 bottle all day standing in the sun. I probably lost 5 or 6 lbs of water weight before I took that picture. So before it turns into another fast bash, intermittent fasting works for those who stick to it like any other diet or weightloss plan. If a person instantly gains back the 15 lbs they lost during a month of IF it's because they reverted, not because the plan failed. I get real sick of hearing "your just losing water weight in the first 3 weeks of fasting" that is a total fallacy, and it is a common excuse I've heard from others on why they won't try it. If you still think Intermittent fasting is a joke, please come back in 3 more weeks for another look. Fasting only fails if the person fails to continue living healthy. I appreciate your input, but I don't appreciate misguiding other people who may be following and dissuading them from giving IF a try because some "bodybuilder" said so. Doctors recommend it for a reason, and it is not to lose water weight.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Ggreen- as I have said before, I think IF has its place and I do not dispute that it works. And I applaud the success you have had with it so far. If it works for you and you are able to maintain it as a habit then all the better. I have given thought to giving it a try, that's why I have an open mind and am trying to learn as much about it as I can..so I know what is involved and any struggles I might run into if I go down that road. I do believe water weight loss is an issue in the first week or so for many people with any diet. I am a firm believer (I could be wrong) that many people constantly live slightly dehydrated by not drinking enough water and too much soda. So when they cut food intake it also cuts some water intake. That's not true for people who consume sufficient amounts of water though.

I do still have some question about the long term (rest of ones life) sustainability of IF.

I don't want to turn anyone away from trying IF, unless it would put them into a serious health risk.

However, as bjlay mentioned info based on a "bodybuilding" nutrition plan is 100% based on scientific studies and is just another method of approaching the same end goal. Just because your Dr hasn't recommended it doesn't diminish the quality of it. I have had plenty of "diet" advice from Dr's that tip the scale upward of 400lbs...so I take their advise with a grain of salt. Most "body building" diets are overseen by nutritionists/ dietitians who are also master certified personal trainers or physical therapists.

Keep doing your thing and build upon your success.

But also don't dismiss other plans just because some sports med Dr didn't give it their seal of approval.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Ggreen- as I have said before, I think IF has its place and I do not dispute that it works. And I applaud the success you have had with it so far. If it works for you and you are able to maintain it as a habit then all the better. I have given thought to giving it a try, that's why I have an open mind and am trying to learn as much about it as I can..so I know what is involved and any struggles I might run into if I go down that road. I do believe water weight loss is an issue in the first week or so for many people with any diet. I am a firm believer (I could be wrong) that many people constantly live slightly dehydrated by not drinking enough water and too much soda. So when they cut food intake it also cuts some water intake. That's not true for people who consume sufficient amounts of water though.

I do still have some question about the long term (rest of ones life) sustainability of IF.

I don't want to turn anyone away from trying IF, unless it would put them into a serious health risk.

However, as bjlay mentioned info based on a "bodybuilding" nutrition plan is 100% based on scientific studies and is just another method of approaching the same end goal. Just because your Dr hasn't recommended it doesn't diminish the quality of it. I have had plenty of "diet" advice from Dr's that tip the scale upward of 400lbs...so I take their advise with a grain of salt. Most "body building" diets are overseen by nutritionists/ dietitians who are also master certified personal trainers or physical therapists.

Keep doing your thing and build upon your success.

But also don't dismiss other plans just because some sports med Dr didn't give it their seal of approval.

I'm not bashing any other form of weightloss. I'm saying that telling people that fasting "mostly eliminates water weight" is bull&*(# of the highest order, fasting cuts fat by putting your body into ketosis. Science for "weight lost is from used fat" not you eat less so you have less water in you??? People have bought into the weight control industry so much they refuse to accept that weight comes off just by not eating so much. There is not magic powder or shake that will make you lose weight (ok a laxative is a temporary example of a magic weight loss pill). You don't have to hit a gym to lose weight, and for a lot of obese people it's probably best to avoid strenuous activity until their frame can handle what your doing. I'm all for people getting fit in any way, I have not bashed anyone's method to lose weight and if that is how my comment came off, or if it came off directed at you I apologize.

Last edited:

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I just did a 20h fast. It was at work so a little easier. Then I came home and ate a cookie and cheese its. D’oh

I think I would be on a constant work fast if I saw what goes on behind those double doors where you work lol. 20h is a dedicated fast, I've been talking with a friend who lives 16-8 and has been pulling 23-1's... This person has 3 kids and a spouse that counts as half of one lol IDK how they do that. 16-8 is enough for me and showing constant results. I was told to order smaller work pants today by my wife. She told me these ones look ridiculous lol... they are a little zubazi

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I'm not bashing any other form of weightloss. I'm saying that telling people that fasting "mostly eliminates water weight" is bull&*(# of the highest order, fasting cuts fat by putting your body into ketosis. Science for "weight lost is from used fat" not you eat less so you have less water in you??? People have bought into the weight control industry so much they refuse to accept that weight comes off just by not eating so much. There is not magic powder or shake that will make you lose weight (ok a laxative is a temporary example of a magic weight loss pill). You don't have to hit a gym to lose weight, and for a lot of obese people it's probably best to avoid strenuous activity until their frame can handle what your doing. I'm all for people getting fit in any way, I have not bashed anyone's method to lose weight and if that is how my comment came off, or if it came off directed at you I apologize.

No apology needed. I agree putting the body into a caloric deficit puts us into ketosis...doesn't matter what method is used. And ultimately that is the only way to burn off fat.
    Lots of crappy info out there on the subject...kimd of like crappy info spread in many LGS or on ranges. Lol

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I think I would be on a constant work fast if I saw what goes on behind those double doors where you work lol. 20h is a dedicated fast, I've been talking with a friend who lives 16-8 and has been pulling 23-1's... This person has 3 kids and a spouse that counts as half of one lol IDK how they do that. 16-8 is enough for me and showing constant results. I was told to order smaller work pants today by my wife. She told me these ones look ridiculous lol... they are a little zubazi

Rock on bring back the Zubaz. Lol. Ok maybe not the zebra stripes though.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Under 200# for the first time since 2008 when I was training for an expected FBI academy date at Quantico.

Skip breakfast, avoid sugar and carbs for lunch/dinner.

I feel better, sleep better, have better mental clarity.

Haven't been to the gym in ages, last ran in 2015 when my piriformis syndrome went critical and I haven't run since.

bjlay2000

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2018
    Shelbyville

Ggreen, I am sorry you took offense to my advice. If you were quoting me, you incorrectly quoted "fasting mostly eliminates water weight". I never once said anything that would resemble that remark (please read my post again). I do not know your current situation and/or how many diets you have tried before, therefore I wanted to cover the bases just in case this was your first diet. Thunderchicken probably explained it better, most people cut drinks (i.e. sodas) during a diet which gives them a false sense of weight (fat) loss. Either way, I'm not going to get into an argument about it. I just wanted to share my experiences and what I know has worked and hasn't worked for me and for others. If fasting is working for you, that's great and I wish you the best of luck.

I have attached a pic of one of my latest cuts. Left side was pre-cut, right side was the last few weeks. I had a lot of fat all over my back you can see was lost without the sacrifice of muscle. Again, my lifestyle and goals are different so do what works for you.
    Back.jpg

Top Bottom