• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Something I keep seeing people mention is a window of time when they will eat. Like the above post Hohn mentions only eating between 11 and 7 most days. What is the point in that??

Scientific research has shown that because the body is always burning calories it doesn't matter when you consume food. However, many fitness experts highly recommend consuming carbs early - mid day so the body can utilize the shorter term energy they provide. Likewise they recommend a high protein snack like cottage cheese or greek yogurt before bed.
    Not bashing anyones approach just trying to understand

Fasting for 16 hours a day forces your body into ketosis, so it burns fat for energy. Paraphrasing for simplicity. The other benefit for the 16-8 is that for obese people, and people who don't have a track record of healthy living it tends to cut calorie intake without forcing someone to follow a strict diet. The 16-8 plan doesn't actually restrict what you eat at all, I have mixed it with the 5-2 (2 non consec days eating only 2 300cal meals). I have plenty of fat to burn, I am also fixing my diet and paying attention to calories through meal planning and tracking. So when I get to or close to my goal weight I can adjust off of the 16-8 plan, hopefully by then I'll have a pattern of meals and foods that are healthy that are habit.

Fasting is a way to force the body to burn the energy stored in fat, just that simple. that is what i'm using the 16-8 for. 5-2 is a way for me to become conscious of what i'm eating, and aid in my fasting on my 2 days.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I like coffee but I was looking for something my wife would enjoy. Thank you for posting this I'm going Crio-bru! :)

Ok Amazon prime free 2 day and same price as their site. Should have a new experience by Sat.

We get the dark/french roast with the brown label. It has more of a chocolatey flavor.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    One of my followers on Twitter dropped 60 lbs over the past year on the Keto diet...

She used to be in a lot of romance films and then became a director/producer of romance films....:)

Cuddle films? lol... It is unreal what 60 pounds looks like. I need to cut 80 to pass a mil pt, and I'd like to be back to when I finished a marathon and smoked pt tests. Downside is if that is only 60lbs I can't imagine what 80 or 90 will do to my wardrobe, I may even be able to AIWB. One day at a time one day at a time.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    The theory is that it forces you into ketosis.....and your theory postures that is a good thing.

It does make you burn fat since you don't have anything else to burn.....HOWEVER, you're really just teaching your body to store fat because your body starts to realize that it better store fat since you aren't feeding it.

Fasting for 16 hours a day forces your body into ketosis, so it burns fat for energy. Paraphrasing for simplicity. The other benefit for the 16-8 is that for obese people, and people who don't have a track record of healthy living it tends to cut calorie intake without forcing someone to follow a strict diet. The 16-8 plan doesn't actually restrict what you eat at all, I have mixed it with the 5-2 (2 non consec days eating only 2 300cal meals). I have plenty of fat to burn, I am also fixing my diet and paying attention to calories through meal planning and tracking. So when I get to or close to my goal weight I can adjust off of the 16-8 plan, hopefully by then I'll have a pattern of meals and foods that are healthy that are habit.

Fasting is a way to force the body to burn the energy stored in fat, just that simple. that is what i'm using the 16-8 for. 5-2 is a way for me to become conscious of what i'm eating, and aid in my fasting on my 2 days.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The theory is that it forces you into ketosis.....and your theory postures that is a good thing.

It does make you burn fat since you don't have anything else to burn.....HOWEVER, you're really just teaching your body to store fat because your body starts to realize that it better store fat since you aren't feeding it.

Interesting. After my workout this afternoon I was talking with a very trusted trainer/IFPA body builder about intermittent fasting and he said almost word for word the same thing. He said that while the body would burn fat since eating only 2. 300cal meals a day would create a deficit, the body would also store consumed food as fat to power the body for the next 16hr fast. So, your body burns fat but then stores more fat (albeit at a slower rate than the body burns) because the body is being trained not to expect to be fed. That is if I understand correctly. This stuff is fascinating how many methods and theories are used to achieve the same goals. I think most work but some may be healthier than others

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Interesting. After my workout this afternoon I was talking with a very trusted trainer/IFPA body builder about intermittent fasting and he said almost word for word the same thing. He said that while the body would burn fat since eating only 2. 300cal meals a day would create a deficit, the body would also store consumed food as fat to power the body for the next 16hr fast. So, your body burns fat but then stores more fat (albeit at a slower rate than the body burns) because the body is being trained not to expect to be fed. That is if I understand correctly. This stuff is fascinating how many methods and theories are used to achieve the same goals. I think most work but some may be healthier than others

I get where he is coming from, but he is also not an obese person. I agree that a person operating at peak performance and in the healthy weight range will have negative effects from intermittent fasting, but people with a glut of stored fats have to eliminate them. Strenuous exercise is scientifically proven to have less effect than monitoring intake. I have enough fat that i'm not even down on energy on my 2 days. I'm actually up. I'm active tossing bags in and out of airplanes and doing maintenance without any slow down due to my fasting. When/if my fasting cycle starts to change my ability to perform I will change it up. I've gotten recommended to this path by a legit sports medicine doc after having a real conversation with him. I'm going to be working with a nutritionist who on the phone counsel supported the 16-8 and the 5-2. I was 290 and 5'11" when I went to the doc for pneumonia a month ago. Something had to change and now it has. You can all hate as much as you want, but I've yet to talk to a doctor that knows my history that has a problem with it, or that even suggested something different. That tells me to keep the path and work this program.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I get where he is coming from, but he is also not an obese person. I agree that a person operating at peak performance and in the healthy weight range will have negative effects from intermittent fasting, but people with a glut of stored fats have to eliminate them. Strenuous exercise is scientifically proven to have less effect than monitoring intake. I have enough fat that i'm not even down on energy on my 2 days. I'm actually up. I'm active tossing bags in and out of airplanes and doing maintenance without any slow down due to my fasting. When/if my fasting cycle starts to change my ability to perform I will change it up. I've gotten recommended to this path by a legit sports medicine doc after having a real conversation with him. I'm going to be working with a nutritionist who on the phone counsel supported the 16-8 and the 5-2. I was 290 and 5'11" when I went to the doc for pneumonia a month ago. Something had to change and now it has. You can all hate as much as you want, but I've yet to talk to a doctor that knows my history that has a problem with it, or that even suggested something different. That tells me to keep the path and work this program.

I get it. And as I said it amazes me how there are so many methods to achieve the same goal. Not hating at all just not so sure that fasting is any better than other methods. Regardless of your program vs what I am on we are both in a caloric deficit so our bodies are forced to burn fat. Ultimately that is how we lose the fat. I think the biggest difference could be in the long term sustainability. I also womder with the such small amout of calories you are consuming how the body responds to such small amounts of micro nutrients. I'm certainly no expert, but I am trying to arm myself with knowledge and to get that I have to keep an open mind and learn from others experience

So keep moving forward and making progress. Keep us posted how you feel and any effects you may see

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    This stuff is too confusing. I average 1-1.5 gallons of water a day. And I make sure I eat a source of lean meat and veggies every meal.

Keep it simple.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I get it. And as I said it amazes me how there are so many methods to achieve the same goal. Not hating at all just not so sure that fasting is any better than other methods. Regardless of your program vs what I am on we are both in a caloric deficit so our bodies are forced to burn fat. Ultimately that is how we lose the fat. I think the biggest difference could be in the long term sustainability. I also womder with the such small amout of calories you are consuming how the body responds to such small amounts of micro nutrients. I'm certainly no expert, but I am trying to arm myself with knowledge and to get that I have to keep an open mind and learn from others experience

So keep moving forward and making progress. Keep us posted how you feel and any effects you may see

That is where the nutritionist comes in. I don't think eating 4 doublestuff oreo's (2 each meal) on a 2 day is advisable, even tho it is about 600calories. I take a basic mens multivitamin everyday. I think it is about focusing on quality foods on the calorie lean days. 5-2 is nothing more than a training tool to break the habit of overconsumption. 16-8 is a similar method to break the overeating habit, one study of 16-8 showed that the subjects consumed an average of 350 fewer calories daily when they followed the plan. It takes an average of 1 hour at the gym to burn 300calories, or 30minutes of running. Not many guys over 250 are going to be running for 30minutes lol. In the end it is just a device to train a person to mentally consume fewer calories. I noticed when I was really eating, my body told me I needed to eat. My brain was hooked and even though I knew I shouldn't order 2 bacon jr's I still would. I never slowed down my eating after basic training, and it was ok when I was running everyday, hiking, biking, and in the gym. Got out and found out I didn't have to pass a pt test and broke the physical habit without breaking the consumption habit.

I think when the weight is off and if I feel like working out I'll transition into diet with a nutritionist based on my physical output rather than caloric input. For now, I'm sticking with what the med prof's have me set on. 185 is the goal, 289 was my starting weight a month ago when I had pneumonia. Whatever path gets me there without endangering my health.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    That is where the nutritionist comes in. I don't think eating 4 doublestuff oreo's (2 each meal) on a 2 day is advisable, even tho it is about 600calories. I take a basic mens multivitamin everyday. I think it is about focusing on quality foods on the calorie lean days. 5-2 is nothing more than a training tool to break the habit of overconsumption. 16-8 is a similar method to break the overeating habit, one study of 16-8 showed that the subjects consumed an average of 350 fewer calories daily when they followed the plan. It takes an average of 1 hour at the gym to burn 300calories, or 30minutes of running. Not many guys over 250 are going to be running for 30minutes lol. In the end it is just a device to train a person to mentally consume fewer calories. I noticed when I was really eating, my body told me I needed to eat. My brain was hooked and even though I knew I shouldn't order 2 bacon jr's I still would. I never slowed down my eating after basic training, and it was ok when I was running everyday, hiking, biking, and in the gym. Got out and found out I didn't have to pass a pt test and broke the physical habit without breaking the consumption habit.

I think when the weight is off and if I feel like working out I'll transition into diet with a nutritionist based on my physical output rather than caloric input. For now, I'm sticking with what the med prof's have me set on. 185 is the goal, 289 was my starting weight a month ago when I had pneumonia. Whatever path gets me there without endangering my health.

Again I wish you the best in this endeavor. We have basically the same goals with two different approaches. And, I get your method has some merits as to its effectiveness in losing weight.
    I too fully understand the struggle of overeating while knowing you shouldn't but your body telling you that its what you want/need. That is a struggle that many will never understand. I venture to bet it is very similar to breaking other addictions.

Twice now you have sited roughly how long it takes a person 1hr in the gym to burn 300 calories or 30 min of running. While that may be true for some its also BS. That might be true for an "average" 170 - 180lb man. But it doesn't hold water with someone who is obese. A 300lb person doing the same work as a 180lb person will burn more calories in a shorter amount of time. That is a scientific fact because the body has to work harder. Also, as I mentioned before strength training is better for fat burning than cardio anyway because it builds more muscle mass and more muscle mass equates to an increase in metabolism which speeds up the fat burning process even more. So while exercise alone isn't the best means for fat loss it can be a great contributor when coupled with healthy diet habits.

Whatever works for you keep it up and stay the course and know you aren't alone in the struggle

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    So many walls of text...everyone thinks they know what’s best for you, yet NONE of them have ever been 150+lbs overweight and dug out of it.

For almost 8 months I’ve eaten cheese, bacon, real butter, and lots of green veggies. I’ve had zero “cheat” meals, and sticking with my restrictions is almost effortless at this point. I’m almost half way to my goal. I feel great, and ALL my blood work is better than it’s ever been. It’s working for me, and I’m going to keep doing what’s working.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Something I keep seeing people mention is a window of time when they will eat. Like the above post Hohn mentions only eating between 11 and 7 most days. What is the point in that??

Scientific research has shown that because the body is always burning calories it doesn't matter when you consume food. However, many fitness experts highly recommend consuming carbs early - mid day so the body can utilize the shorter term energy they provide. Likewise they recommend a high protein snack like cottage cheese or greek yogurt before bed.
    Not bashing anyones approach just trying to understand

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6KClPkotxM

Watch and learn what the research actually shows.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    So many walls of text...everyone thinks they know what’s best for you, yet NONE of them have ever been 150+lbs overweight and dug out of it.

For almost 8 months I’ve eaten cheese, bacon, real butter, and lots of green veggies. I’ve had zero “cheat” meals, and sticking with my restrictions is almost effortless at this point. I’m almost half way to my goal. I feel great, and ALL my blood work is better than it’s ever been. It’s working for me, and I’m going to keep doing what’s working.

That's great, chez! Last time I had bloodwork, both my bad and good cholesterol were better than ever. They've always been very good, but now I was told they are "superb". Doc says keep doing what I'm doing. (I bet he didn't mean the beer and wine, though). My A1C and glucose has started to creep up over the last few years, not in the unhealthy range yet. That concerns me, I'm hoping if i take off 10-15 more lbs that will improve. I know lots of people that have had great results with keto. Yes, some fall off the wagon, but they eventually come back. I don't think this is any less sustainable than other ways of eating. I love veggies, meat and cheese. It's best to keep it simple, but sometimes I make a "fathead" pizza, and I'm getting pretty good at it. Right now is a perfect time for "zoodles" and zucchini lasagne.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I also don't buy into the fasting or eating only 8 hours through the day.

However, I do see better results when I vary my macro nutrient intake through the day in order to take in most of my carbs early in the day and move towards more fat/protein later in the day.

My theory is that the body isn't holding onto those carbs and turning them into fat while I'm sleeping since you're essentially being sedentary while sleeping.

I do eat a LOT of carbs though. But most of the exercise I like to do is endurance and cardio based.

All energy your body uses in glucose. Regardless of what you eat, it must be converted to glucose for your body to run. So, regardless of what you eat, it's all about glucose management. You are being sedentary while sleeping, but your calorie burn is NOT crashing while you sleep, at least not compared to lying awake. Yes, it's less than while you're running a 10k, of course.

Do yourself a favor a wean yourself from the carbs and you'll be surprised how well you can train on half the carbs. Your body will make glucose from other sources.

It's a little like the fallacy that eating less cholesterol has anything to do with blood cholesterol. EVERY molecule of cholesterol in your blood is cholesterol your body made and put there. Cholesterol you eat is broken down just like anything else.

You can eat tons of eggs and have low blood cholesterol. And you can kill yourself with awful LDL and triglyceride counts on a cholesterol-free diet.

Top Bottom