• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I get that. I don't think anyone would have a problem if I sold some of my stock at what Graf's or the like are selling them for. My point with that is that I would be taking a loss at that point because If I sold them like that it would cost me money compared to if I'd just stuck that money in an account somewhere. Frankly I'd be stupid to sell at that price because I'm essentially giving someone else the benefit of my planning at my expense.

How about selling them two cases at a time on GB and just pay the hazmat yourself, At a 100+ per brick hazmat isn't much.
    A lot more money on GB and you dont have to take time out of your day and meet the buyer.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    How about selling them two cases at a time on GB and just pay the hazmat yourself, At a 100+ per brick hazmat isn't much.
    A lot more money on GB and you dont have to take time out of your day and meet the buyer.

In order to ship hazmat you have to be certified to ship hazmat (the last time I looked). It's not a trivial thing like paying an extra fee.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I get that. I don't think anyone would have a problem if I sold some of my stock at what Graf's or the like are selling them for. My point with that is that I would be taking a loss at that point because If I sold them like that it would cost me money compared to if I'd just stuck that money in an account somewhere. Frankly I'd be stupid to sell at that price because I'm essentially giving someone else the benefit of my planning at my expense.

Yep, I can definitely see your point too.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I am over worrying about what the whiners have to say. Everyone had the opportunity to get stocked up. Everyone should have seen this coming. After a bunch of the cry babies whined at me for just sitting on a bunch of .22 post Sandy Hook, I lost all patience with them. Screw 'em.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    To answer the OP's hypothetical, I see no issue selling at whatever price the market will bear, especially with a non-necessity commodity such as firearms, ammo, reloading components, etc.

If retailers don't have stock, there is a clear shortage.

Higher prices in such circumstances, considered gouging by some, actually serve a valuable market function in times of scarcity by helping to allocate supply across a greater number of market participants and reduces the speed at which the more scarce supply dries up.

If the price of any commodity is capped, then the first guy to the store could theoretically buy all of the supply in a given area, thereby preventing his neighbors access to that good.

Even with quantity limits, the first n guys to the store (where n = total supply / limit) can snap up all the available units (whether they could possibly use that supply or not), again preventing access. People with large families could game the limits as, for most products at most retailers, resources simply aren't available to enforce n units per household.

Price floors cause gluts; price ceilings cause shortages.

That said, one must consider his audience and desired long-term reputation with that audience before acting.

It's no different than trading in stocks or the commodities markets. Buy low, sell high is the goal, and the lower bought and higher sold the better.

For those who disagree, when is the last time you gave someone crap, or even wanted to, when they sold their house at the top of a real estate market?

Fortune favors the prepared.

Thankfully, I'm typically a buyer, and not a seller, so I'm not too concerned about the impact on any upcoming classified transactions due to sharing this opinion :):

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    To answer the OP's hypothetical, I see no issue selling at whatever price the market will bear, especially with a non-necessity commodity such as firearms, ammo, reloading components, etc.

If retailers don't have stock, there is a clear shortage.

Higher prices in such circumstances, considered gouging by some, actually serve a valuable market function in times of scarcity by helping to allocate supply across a greater number of market participants and reduces the speed at which the more scarce supply dries up.

If the price of any commodity is capped, then the first guy to the store could theoretically buy all of the supply in a given area, thereby preventing his neighbors access to that good.

Even with quantity limits, the first n guys to the store (where n = total supply / limit) can snap up all the available units (whether they could possibly use that supply or not), again preventing access. People with large families could game the limits as, for most products at most retailers, resources simply aren't available to enforce n units per household.

Price floors cause gluts; price ceilings cause shortages.

That said, one must consider his audience and desired long-term reputation with that audience before acting.

It's no different than trading in stocks or the commodities markets. Buy low, sell high is the goal, and the lower bought and higher sold the better.

For those who disagree, when is the last time you gave someone crap, or even wanted to, when they sold their house at the top of a real estate market?

Fortune favors the prepared.

Thankfully, I'm typically a buyer, and not a seller, so I'm not too concerned about the impact on any upcoming classified transactions due to sharing this opinion :):

Thats the big reason when I do sell, I sell online.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I was buying ss109 pulled bullets for 6.5-7cents a piece when prices were good. I'm sure I could make a killing reselling but got 5 or 6k stocked and have enough to last for a while when I run out of the 55gr stock I have.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie

Can’t make everyone happy all the time

My “fault” for not buying more when it was under 20 cents a round.

Once everything calms down, I hope, I’ll be looking at getting into reloading. I told myself I’d do it after the 2012 Famine of 22lr, but got lazy after seeing record low prices on ammo.

“Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice, can’t fool me again”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Retailers that have a price listed, but have no stock, are not actually offering product for that price...

An out of stock price, is not a real market price.

Sell at what the market will bear (realizing that if you are using someone else's platform to sell then they dictate the rules).

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Price gouging...

What's a 67 camaro going for? $50,000?

What did it cost new? $3,000?

Is it price gouging if the market is willing to pay $50,000 on a car that was only $3,000 new? Or is that the way a free market is supposed to work?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Here is our stance on this. It is pretty simple. We watch what's available and how much.
    The pricing you list (OP) does not seem that crazy as things vanish off the shelf. We have removed a couple. But again what you are asking is not that nuts.

The rule.....
    10. No Price Gouging. Posting ads at ridiculous, inflated prices in order to fleece the membership or make a quick buck due to global circumstances will get your ad removed and your posting privileges revoked permanently. This practice is commonly known as "price gouging" and will not be tolerated here. The classifieds is a perk and a safe place to buy/sell/trade and we aim to keep it that way.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Price gouging...

What's a 67 camaro going for? $50,000?

What did it cost new? $3,000?

Is it price gouging if the market is willing to pay $50,000 on a car that was only $3,000 new? Or is that the way a free market is supposed to work?
    I’ll give you $3500, we’ll both make a little.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Here is our stance on this. It is pretty simple. We watch what's available and how much.
    The pricing you list (OP) does not seem that crazy as things vanish off the shelf. We have removed a couple. But again what you are asking is not that nuts.

The rule.....
    10. No Price Gouging. Posting ads at ridiculous, inflated prices in order to fleece the membership or make a quick buck due to global circumstances will get your ad removed and your posting privileges revoked permanently. This practice is commonly known as "price gouging" and will not be tolerated here. The classifieds is a perk and a safe place to buy/sell/trade and we aim to keep it that way.

I’ve got no issue with the forum rules, I appreciate a place that keeps things reasonable and this has never been only a marketplace for me. But I got really disappointed the last time around by some of the reasoning I heard from more than a few people about “hoarding” and “gouging” so I wanted to see where the collective group draws that line now. The reason I posted in the survival forum is because I heard almost the same kinds of reasoning on FB when the early run on other supplies was happening.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I’ve got no issue with the forum rules, I appreciate a place that keeps things reasonable and this has never been only a marketplace for me. But I got really disappointed the last time around by some of the reasoning I heard from more than a few people about “hoarding” and “gouging” so I wanted to see where the collective group draws that line now. The reason I posted in the survival forum is because I heard almost the same kinds of reasoning on FB when the early run on other supplies was happening.

Well when folks sit on their thumbs during good times because they refuse to spend the money to generate a decent reserve and suddenly find the shelves are empty when they want to hit the range.....well, that's when the little sissy's cry and moan. Pay no heed sir.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Hmmmm. My take. I’ll pour the gas and walk away for everyone else to light I reckon :): Nah I’m kidding. My opinion, this is a forum. The classifieds is a bonus feature you get with the main service, which is forum. They set rules for their bonus feature, such as minimum of 50 posts to access, how to post in the classifieds, how to let someone know you’re interested, and a rule to limit price gouging during emergency times. If you want to sell at a high price when the market is demanding it, go to a place that you can or find a avenue that’s possible in. :twocents:

Same for people who whine about being gouged. Like CM said, why are you waiting until there’s such a high demand anyways? We own guns because we wanna be prepared for emergency situations. Carrying a gun is only a small portion of that responsibility if you’re going to take it serious. Training, how you decide to carry it, and preparation are just as important in my opinion. So if the price is too high, go somewhere else to get it. It works both ways.

Tldr:
    Seller: INGO makes rules for their classifieds, if you don’t like it sell your property somewhere else that will allow it.
    Buyer: if you waited til an emergency to buy something expect the price to be high. Don’t whine about it, much like the seller can find somewhere else to sell, if prices are too high for you find somewhere else to buy.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Seems to me this is a very difficult thing for moderators to manage. I think at least until Nov 4th everything will become more scarce and what is now considered a gouged price will be a bargain 2 months from now. As prices rise it seems like the moderators are determining the market price for anything sold here and it will probably rise on a weekly basis. Guys could be buying here and 3 weeks later be selling at a higher price. What a can of worms.

Top Bottom