• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    201   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    I do remember some internet rumors of Walmart employees being paid to text people when ammo arrived.
    Don't know if it were true, but certainly wouldn't be surprised.

The other saying at the time was: "All the .22 ammo has been neckbearded." Implying that older retirees were standing in line at Gander Mtn. buying up their limit of .22 to flip on Armslist or other websites.
    Which that was happening, I do remember people standing in line to buy their 3 box limit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I do remember some internet rumors of Walmart employees being paid to text people when ammo arrived.
    Don't know if it were true, but certainly wouldn't be surprised.

The other saying at the time was: "All the .22 ammo has been neckbearded." Implying that older retirees were standing in line at Gander Mtn. buying up their limit of .22 to flip on Armslist or other websites.
    Which that was happening, I do remember people standing in line to buy their 3 box limit.

Both are true. Rarely did the ammo make it to the common man.
    This is why my distain for flippers and carpet baggers runs deep.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Obviously those who are a true part of what INGO means and the have interacted with others in FTF meetings other than to sell or trade wouldn't take advantage of other members. If someone needed bullets, brass or primers and I could afford to part with some of my stash for an even trade would be at pre panic prices.

I'll take 2500 of those SS109's for what... 60 bucks a thou. Asking for a friend....

4651feeder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 21, 2016
    East of NWI
    Just for clarification, are those of you who now shame one for suggestion of selling ammunition for any more than they paid for it when times were good; also willing to equally shame a buyer here when they gloat about a "great deal" that was result of the seller suffering a hardship and being forced to sell at a loss?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Just for clarification, are those of you who now shame one for suggestion of selling ammunition for any more than they paid for it when times were good; also willing to equally shame a buyer here when they gloat about a "great deal" that was result of the seller suffering a hardship and being forced to sell at a loss?

I am not shaming.
    Just making a statement. We are watching the market at play. It works just dont gloat at taking this to the gun owners.
    Again if you find a great deal cool. That is a seller and buyer connecting. If the buyer runs out and sells it for profit again its his call. I am just not very fond of the mind set.

As a younger man we would roll out to Arizona and bring back cars that were marketable and sought after. We would put them into shape spending time effort and funds to do so. We also scoured the small car auctions around the state. Then we would sell them at current market locally and yes we made some coin in the process but it was a for real business endeavor. We were filling a specific Niche for those locally who were not able to or capable of doing this. Yes that is flipping. But not in the same way.

I full understand the market. But I have also seen the market get inflated by design. People who are just profit seeking and will rape and pillage then move along.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Obviously those who are a true part of what INGO means and the have interacted with others in FTF meetings other than to sell or trade wouldn't take advantage of other members. If someone needed bullets, brass or primers and I could afford to part with some of my stash for an even trade would be at pre panic prices.

I have in the past and probably will in the future. I take care of my friends because that's what friends do. I also try to help out my community when I can because to me that's what being a good citizen is all about.

But in spite of the small community feel, INGO is not a bunch of friends. Certainly there's a lot of friendship here, and over the years I've gotten to know quite a number of folks and like several. Some current regulars are folks I like and respect quite a lot and I've made more than a few casual friends here over the years. It's amazing to me though the people who are quick to pull out the "but we're friends" card when they want something. I'm sorry, if we're friends you wouldn't even need to pull out that card, and MY friends wouldn't anyway because that's a part of how I filter my friends. Everyone else is merely an acquaintance.

I also get very much the desire to stomp down on the armslist style free-for-all here when shortages occur. Much as I've been playing devil's advocate about the folks bashing people who are taking advantage of the situation (because I also dislike hypocrisy), I don't care for people who game the system in order to be able to take advantage of others.

It's one thing if we are all on a level playing field and because someone was smart and thought ahead and looked at past trends and planned accordingly, then the folks who refused to do so should pay the price. It's a whole different story to me though when people refuse to do anything to help themselves when they could then cry foul when someone else takes advantage of their lack of proper planning. Or the people who see a crisis looming then work to make it worse so they can profit. It's part of why I left disaster response; I dealt with too many people who felt they were owed being taken care of when they would not do anything to help themselves; and this is NOT a right vs. left issue, I saw it plenty on both sides to know that political leanings have nothing to do with it.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have in the past and probably will in the future. I take care of my friends because that's what friends do. I also try to help out my community when I can because to me that's what being a good citizen is all about.

But in spite of the small community feel, INGO is not a bunch of friends. Certainly there's a lot of friendship here, and over the years I've gotten to know quite a number of folks and like several. Some current regulars are folks I like and respect quite a lot and I've made more than a few casual friends here over the years. It's amazing to me though the people who are quick to pull out the "but we're friends" card when they want something. I'm sorry, if we're friends you wouldn't even need to pull out that card, and MY friends wouldn't anyway because that's a part of how I filter my friends. Everyone else is merely an acquaintance.

I also get very much the desire to stomp down on the armslist style free-for-all here when shortages occur. Much as I've been playing devil's advocate about the folks bashing people who are taking advantage of the situation (because I also dislike hypocrisy), I don't care for people who game the system in order to be able to take advantage of others.

It's one thing if we are all on a level playing field and because someone was smart and thought ahead and looked at past trends and planned accordingly, then the folks who refused to do so should pay the price. It's a whole different story to me though when people refuse to do anything to help themselves when they could then cry foul when someone else takes advantage of their lack of proper planning. It's part of why I left disaster response; I dealt with too many people who felt they were owed being taken care of when they would not do anything to help themselves, and this is NOT a right vs. left issue, I saw it plenty on both sides to know that political leanings have nothing to do with it.

Yeah I get the Friend card throw down a lot in the heat of the summer and cold of the winter. HVAC tech.
    I have formulated a good response to this.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've been on both sides of this dilemma during the last shortage.
    I sold some ammo to an INGO member that wanted all I could spare at my cost. He couldn't go to the range due to a lack of ammo.
    I let him have a significant amount at my cost. I see it a couple of weeks later at the inflated price here in the classifieds. Needless to say I no longer acknowledge the maggot's existence.
    You can help out an INGO'er but remember not all human beings are deserving to breath or share our oxygen.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I've been on both sides of this dilemma during the last shortage.
    I sold some ammo to an INGO member that wanted all I could spare at my cost. He couldn't go to the range due to a lack of ammo.
    I let him have a significant amount at my cost. I see it a couple of weeks later at the inflated price here in the classifieds. Needless to say I no longer acknowledge the maggot's existence.
    You can help out an INGO'er but remember not all human beings are deserving to breath or share our oxygen.

Same happened to me during the .22 shortage. I got caught in the trap of believing a sob story because I thought that most folks here were beyond playing the sob story game.

Now I will only let go a small amount of anything and unless I know the person well and they have a good reputation, they aren't getting a deal.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Same happened to me during the .22 shortage. I got caught in the trap of believing a sob story because I thought that most folks here were beyond playing the sob story game.

Now I will only let go a small amount of anything and unless I know the person well and they have a good reputation, they aren't getting a deal.

It's possible it was the same "bottom feeder" that lied to you as well.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Selling things at market price isn't "gouging" in my opinion. Price increases stabilize a high-demand market and PREVENT hoarding.

The person with something to sell is also offering a service to someone who might have more money than they have time.

During ammo shortages, sometimes I can repeatedly go online or watch for announcements of stores and "finally" get that box of ammo for what I consider "regular" price.

Or maybe I'm busy as heck at work and I am willing to pay a premium. I'm then grateful to the guy who has that item in stock because (at that moment) I have the money to spend and don't want to wait.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I have no regrets about selling anything, ever, at the market price. If people want to buy it for the price you're selling, they can. If they think the prices are too high, they can do without.
    It really doesn't bother me all that much when a website like cheaper than dirt raises prices 10%-20%, which they have done at every opportunity. It's just basic economics. They have stuff that everybody wants.
    It's the free market people. You can be offended that you didn't plan ahead all you want, but you'll still be doing without.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Primer shortage has lasted longer than I figured it would.

I’m considering selling some of my stock in part to fund the Anzio Ironworks 20mm I’ve been wanting, and in part to help out fellow ingoers. I checked the investment calculator and 10% interest rate return on the money I spent buying them would put their value to me at $45-70/k depending on type. Considering Gunbroker is running them at $150-180/k I think that’s reasonable, but what I would want to avoid would be someone here buying a bunch then turning around and listing them for 2-3x. I could just list them on GB myself if that was my sole goal.

Ideas to help prevent that? Sell only to longer time folks? Not sell to someone whose majority posts are in the classifieds? Limit the quantities I sell to one person unless they are vouched for? Just say screw it and sell on auction sites for whatever I can get?

What say you all!

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I would say a combo of the choices. Limiting the amount sold to a person to a few thousand at best would give that person plenty to reload with during the panic period. And if you are confident they are not going to flip the merch, sell more to a member well known to you.

Otherwise, for a 20mm, yeah, GB her you go!

Like braces, it comes down to intent. I did not buy ammo during the cheap-N-plentiful times intending to re-sell it. But If I did Gunbroker I would gladly throw half my supply on there now knowing I could replace it 2-3 fold in the future.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    362   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    BTW, I have this picture in my head of Beto O'Rourke yelling about coming for your ARs and AKs then pausing and saying "wait, they have what!!!!" :ar15:

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I agree with Snorko. Sell the primers to established INGO members and possibly break it into several lots. I realize selling them all at once would probably be easier for you.

Top Bottom