Is the Sig P365 ready to bet your life on it for EDC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I work at a range, and I see a lot of people coming in “straight from the gun store”. I see a lot of NIB guns of all types, a lot of people don’t strip a new gun and clean it before trying it out. Oddly enough, I see more shields that won’t function properly straight out of the box than probably any other gun, mainly because of the sheer numbers of shields being sold. I see a lot of 365s as well, and as others have said, the ones from April-may of last year on, have a pretty good track record, it’s rare that someone has one that doesn’t run. Quite a few of our regular customers that own 365s have well into the thousands of rounds down range with no issues. I don’t own a 365 yet, but being able to shoot a lot of different guns, it’s made my short list of things I want/would buy.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I work at a range, and I see a lot of people coming in “straight from the gun store”. I see a lot of NIB guns of all types, a lot of people don’t strip a new gun and clean it before trying it out. Oddly enough, I see more shields that won’t function properly straight out of the box than probably any other gun, mainly because of the sheer numbers of shields being sold. I see a lot of 365s as well, and as others have said, the ones from April-may of last year on, have a pretty good track record, it’s rare that someone has one that doesn’t run. Quite a few of our regular customers that own 365s have well into the thousands of rounds down range with no issues. I don’t own a 365 yet, but being able to shoot a lot of different guns, it’s made my short list of things I want/would buy.
    When my son was cleaning his NIB 365 I pointed out you can't take it straight to the range, it's not a Glock. He then referred to my G26 as "Cold War era ". The 365 ran flawlessly, but man that thing was full of lube out of the box.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    ... I'm sticking with the [xxx], though. I shot one at the rental range, nice little gun, nothing that's enough of an upgrade for me to move to it and all the logistics that entails (magazines, which are pricey, new holsters, replacement springs on hand, etc). I hate changing platforms when I've got a lot of logistical support behind what I've already got, so there needs to be a real payoff. ...

Yep, same here, not enough of a benefit for me to switch at this point. Not that there's anything wrong with the P365. It's just that I already have my system in place.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I completely understand not switching setups on a whim. I'm in the same boat with holsters and mags for my current setup. For me though, the motivation is the couple extra rounds. Right now 7+1 is what I've got, and if I can have 10 + 1 in the same size package that's primarily what's appealing to me. If it wasn't for that, and it was another xyz gun with the same capacity I wouldn't look twice.

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I completely understand not switching setups on a whim. I'm in the same boat with holsters and mags for my current setup. For me though, the motivation is the couple extra rounds. Right now 7+1 is what I've got, and if I can have 10 + 1 in the same size package that's primarily what's appealing to me. If it wasn't for that, and it was another xyz gun with the same capacity I wouldn't look twice.

For me the gun didn't feel that great until I add the 12 round mags. Then it fit my hand well and I have 12 + 1 in an easy to carry compact

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I saw a post on SigTalk. Some gun range with rentals claims they have one with 70k rounds through it...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

I weighed both the P365 and the S&W 9mm Shield.
    In 10+1, the P365 is actually shorter, the length is about the same, and it's about 15 grams lighter.
    In 12+1, the P365 is the same height, and only about 15 grams heavier.

cgaustin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2017
    greenwood
    My p365 has ran 100%, approximately 1200 reload 147gr, and about 100 - 124gr self defense factory ammo. Better sights, grips, trigger, and capacity then the shield.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I'm also not a fan of 9mm semiautos with barrels in the 3" +/- range.

I prefer to get as close to a 3.5" bbl as possible, for 9mms, so I have the luxury of, 1) relying on most of the published ballistic data (and don't have to dig around for short barrel specific data), and 2) having a wider choice of acceptable defensive ammunition.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I weighed both the P365 and the S&W 9mm Shield.
    In 10+1, the P365 is actually shorter, the length is about the same, and it's about 15 grams lighter.
    In 12+1, the P365 is the same height, and only about 15 grams heavier.

I assume that is with the cartridges loaded, correct? That makes sense I guess, 12 + 1 is heavier than 7 + 1.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yep, same here, not enough of a benefit for me to switch at this point. Not that there's anything wrong with the P365. It's just that I already have my system in place.

I have the luxury get of not being heavily invested in a small gun platform. I got rid of the Glock 26 I had and the Walther PPS will go as soon as I'm ready to get a P365. The only thing that doesn't appeal to me about the P365 is that I can't use P226 magazines with it. :cool:

I prefer to get as close to a 3.5" bbl as possible, for 9mms, so I have the luxury of, 1) relying on most of the published ballistic data (and don't have to dig around for short barrel specific data), and 2) having a wider choice of acceptable defensive ammunition.

Have you ever chronographed the Speer Gold Dot 9mm loaded specifically for shorter barrels (faster powder)? I don't know if they still make it, but it might be interesting to know if you can get reasonable muzzle velocities from the baby guns.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

147gr HST passes the complete battery of FBI tests from a 3.1" barrel. I'm sure there are others, I just don't have data handy.

DataGeek19

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 9, 2017
    Southern Indiana
    I prefer Glocks however I have a few Sigs including the P365. There are around a thousand rounds on it. My wife shoots it well and has claimed it as her own. When cleaning it the rear site came loose. Not all the way so it falls out of the groove however it goes side by side. I called SIG and as I have experienced before with other guns they are quick to make it right. Just waiting on it’s return.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Same experience as AllenM. I am over 1000 rounds. The gun looks new (striker channel, striker, etc.) and hasn't had a stoppage. It also went over 900 rounds without a cleaning without an issue.

It shoots like a bigger gun than it is but carries very small.

An esteemed member here has a P365 with something like 2700 rounds with no issues and his is the "original" version. He might stop in with details.

I am actually finishing up my third and final video on the P365 (I have the March 2018 365 with ~2,700 through it. Past 2,000 rounds I have not heard of any issues. Still contemplating getting the machined bar stock firing pin but according to Sig it was a limited issue type thing with the MIM parts not being heat treated properly (thus leading to the firing pins snapping and furthering my distrust of all things MIM)

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I just picked up a 365 last week and I love it. This is maybe my third carry gun, so you know I'm not big on change! Holster for it arrived last night and on initial inspection, it's also perfect. Really looking forward to this gun.

Fallschirmjaeger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 9, 2014
    Noblesville
    I don't have one (yet), but to me the key selling point for the P365 is how it feels when you shoot it. It doesn't feel like a micro compact gun. It feels more like a bigger gun when it fires and it's very easy to make the bullets go where you want them to go.

This is exactly right. Despite a few growing pains, Sig has designed an amazing gun. About 500 rounds with zero issues. I love mine and am acclimating to my new holster set up for EDC.

Top Bottom