Is the Sig P365 ready to bet your life on it for EDC?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I really should apologize to you. I didn't mean to "go off" on you. Just venting my frustration of all the noise I see re: Sig striker fired pistols. Much of it by folks who haven't owned one and some who have never even shot one. So much of it is, "So and so reports that...(negative diatribe)". Your #3 is what I was getting at. The P 365 isn't perfect and had the most problems early on. I had never shot 1,000 rounds through any carry handgun before the P 365. I was influenced by all the online negativity. I'm convinced now that all that worry was for naught.

I found it interesting that so many felt they had to have 1000 flawless rounds through their pistols before they would trust them. Historically 200 rounds was enough. I personally would trust a newer gun with 200 rounds through it more than an old gun with 2000. But I'm probably just ignorant. It is amusing to see so many opinions. And of course most everyone is right. :scratch:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Not a side track , but all the "negative user reviews" are the reason I have been so vocal about my "early" March 2018 pistol making it past 2,700 rounds. Statisticaly speaking people who are dissatisfied with a product or service tell roughly 10 people about their bad experience, if someone has a positive experience you are lucky if they tell one other person.

Speaking of which I need to stop being lazy and finish filming my 2,700 round update :rockwoot:

Just picked up one myself, and have to admit, I was a bit hesitant as it is a March, 2018 build like yours, but the price was right as compared to buying new. I hope it holds up like yours has.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I'm at 914 rds with my P365, production date of 6/20/18. I've had 2 failures total, both were with Federal 115gr Aluminum case ammo getting stuck in the chamber. Zero issues with any brass or nickel cased ammo. The empty cases that got stuck were later placed into several other 9mm barrels (FNH & CZ were 2 of them) at home to see if they would drop in or not, they did not drop in either and actually had to be pryed back out after pushing slightly with thumb pressure. Spent brass & nickel cases dropped right in all barrels just fine. Why did I mention that? Because I wouldn't be giving an honest experience of my gun if I didn't.

In my humble opinion, I would say the P365 is good to go. I would advise getting a newer production version that has all the current rolling upgrades (many others have mentioned this) and I would run it through it's paces in the manner you deem acceptable for a carry gun.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I really should apologize to you. I didn't mean to "go off" on you. Just venting my frustration of all the noise I see re: Sig striker fired pistols. Much of it by folks who haven't owned one and some who have never even shot one. So much of it is, "So and so reports that...(negative diatribe)". Your #3 is what I was getting at. The P 365 isn't perfect and had the most problems early on. I had never shot 1,000 rounds through any carry handgun before the P 365. I was influenced by all the online negativity. I'm convinced now that all that worry was for naught.

1. I was just totally amazed at the 11,000 rounds w/o issue: bragging rights for any gun: revolver, semi-auto or whatever!
    2. It reminds me of all the research I did when I was new at this (May 2017) and there was a test done shooting 1000 rounds from all the small 9mm.
    3. The Taurus Slim 709 was 3rd with the 1st issue at around 6-700 rounds, but the one I bought wouldn't shoot a single mag properly: machines. :dunno:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I found it interesting that so many felt they had to have 1000 flawless rounds through their pistols before they would trust them. Historically 200 rounds was enough. I personally would trust a newer gun with 200 rounds through it more than an old gun with 2000. But I'm probably just ignorant. It is amusing to see so many opinions. And of course most everyone is right. :scratch:

The 200 rounds number is for your defensive ammunition. I think Mas Ayoob popularized that.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I can't keep up. Lol. I thought 50 rounds was adequate for defensive ammo. :dunno:

It depends upon who you ask!

To me, it depends on the gun. If I had a new Glock 17 (or something with a similar track record) and it functioned for 50 rounds with Gold Dots or Hornady Critical Duty, or something similar, I would be inclined to accept that as a functional system.

If I had a new 1911, I'd put at least a thousand rounds of 230gr FMJ through it, then 200 rds of Gold Dots, etc. If it handled all of that, I'd be comfy.

With the former example, I am verifying that the specific gun I received wasn't a lemon. In the latter case, I am acting on my experience with that type of firearm because no two are ever the same, even if they have sequential serial numbers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    1. I was just totally amazed at the 11,000 rounds w/o issue: bragging rights for any gun: revolver, semi-auto or whatever!

11k isn't bragging rights in the slightest. A modern pistol *should* run for tens of thousands of rounds without issue. Classic metal framed Sigs would generally make it to at least the 80k mark before frame cracks or serious maladies put them down. Glocks often go 100k+ before a slide cracks or a frame tab breaks off. 1911s require a bit more maintenance, but can also get to 100k-ish. I don't know the expected duty life on polymer Sigs, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't at least on par with the older lines. I personally own a 40k+ round count P226 and 50k+ round count Springfield 1911. The P226 lost the fiber optic in the front sight at about 40k, and shortly thereafter I broke the decocking lever. No major parts replaced, and nothing that made the gun inoperable. The Springfield could certainly use the guts freshened up due to grooving, the rifling isn't as crisp as when it was new, and the night sights are long dead due to age, but is currently 100% original and runs without issue. It has no signs of stress cracking in the frame or slide. ltwguns.com ? View topic - 50,000 rounds (now 118K) and counting: Springfield Operator details a 100K+ journey for a very hard used Springfield 1911, much harder than I ran mine.

Even without proper maintenance, a gun from what I'll term a "duty grade" manufacturer will easily see 11k barring some QC issue. Stay on top of recoil spring replacements, use in-spec ammo, and you're pretty unlikely to wear one out.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    11k isn't bragging rights in the slightest. A modern pistol *should* run for tens of thousands of rounds without issue. Classic metal framed Sigs would generally make it to at least the 80k mark before frame cracks or serious maladies put them down. Glocks often go 100k+ before a slide cracks or a frame tab breaks off. 1911s require a bit more maintenance, but can also get to 100k-ish. I don't know the expected duty life on polymer Sigs, but I'd be shocked if it wasn't at least on par with the older lines. I personally own a 40k+ round count P226 and 50k+ round count Springfield 1911. The P226 lost the fiber optic in the front sight at about 40k, and shortly thereafter I broke the decocking lever. No major parts replaced, and nothing that made the gun inoperable. The Springfield could certainly use the guts freshened up due to grooving, the rifling isn't as crisp as when it was new, and the night sights are long dead due to age, but is currently 100% original and runs without issue. It has no signs of stress cracking in the frame or slide. ltwguns.com ? View topic - 50,000 rounds (now 118K) and counting: Springfield Operator details a 100K+ journey for a very hard used Springfield 1911, much harder than I ran mine.

Even without proper maintenance, a gun from what I'll term a "duty grade" manufacturer will easily see 11k barring some QC issue. Stay on top of recoil spring replacements, use in-spec ammo, and you're pretty unlikely to wear one out.

1. :wow: You have just illustrated one of the reasons I love this site!
    2. Thanks for the education. :thumbsup:

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Ok, going to ask what sounds like an ignorant question, but I recently picked up a 365. I bought it used and it was pretty dirty when I bought it, so I cleaned it up before I took it to the range the first time. Then I took it to the range and put 100 rounds of Federal Aluminum case 115 grain through it, and 50 rounds of S&B brass case 124 grain. When I went to clean it after the range trip, it seemed like this gun was dirtier than other similar guns I have after similar amount of shooting. I'm wondering if I didn't get it as clean as I well as I thought I did the first time, and it still had some powder, etc from the previous owner(s), or if the 365 just shoots dirtier than other guns (even comparing it to Glock 43, Shield, etc).

Any one else think the 365 shoots dirtier (small gun, short barrel, less efficient powder burn, or gun unlocks sooner, etc) than other guns, even similarly sized?

I tend to clean guns after each trip, unless I know I'm going back in a day or 2, so maybe this gun was just a bit dirtier to begin with than my other guns get, but again, I did clean it before shooting it.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Ok, going to ask what sounds like an ignorant question, but I recently picked up a 365. I bought it used and it was pretty dirty when I bought it, so I cleaned it up before I took it to the range the first time. Then I took it to the range and put 100 rounds of Federal Aluminum case 115 grain through it, and 50 rounds of S&B brass case 124 grain. When I went to clean it after the range trip, it seemed like this gun was dirtier than other similar guns I have after similar amount of shooting. I'm wondering if I didn't get it as clean as I well as I thought I did the first time, and it still had some powder, etc from the previous owner(s), or if the 365 just shoots dirtier than other guns (even comparing it to Glock 43, Shield, etc).

Any one else think the 365 shoots dirtier (small gun, short barrel, less efficient powder burn, or gun unlocks sooner, etc) than other guns, even similarly sized?

I tend to clean guns after each trip, unless I know I'm going back in a day or 2, so maybe this gun was just a bit dirtier to begin with than my other guns get, but again, I did clean it before shooting it.

I have not noticed my 365 shooting "dirty" and I am like you and clean my firearms after each outting

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven

I haven't noticed anything abnormal in mine. I've ran a decent amount of that 115gr Federal Aluminum case in mine also, so I don't suspect that's the issue, in fact I've ran that ammo in other guns as well and it seemed to run fairly clean for me.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I need to ask.
    Has anyone been involved in a street shoot out.
    Where you needed more than 5 rounds.By then everyone is running their ass out of there.
    A second mag in your pocket should cover any possibly.
    Why spend many dollars to leave a gun you feel great with.
    Just for one with a couple more (How Many) rounds.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I need to ask.
    Has anyone been involved in a street shoot out.
    Where you needed more than 5 rounds.By then everyone is running their ass out of there.
    A second mag in your pocket should cover any possibly.
    Why spend many dollars to leave a gun you feel great with.
    Just for one with a couple more (How Many) rounds.
    I never heard anyone that has been in an armed encounter say, "I wish I had less ammo!" The extra capacity is a big plus, but this pistol isn't a "one trick pony".

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany

Web, I shot Remington factory 115 gr. "bucket ammo" for about 1,000 rounds through my P365, but since I have shot my own reloads. I use Alliant Power Pistol and Alliant American Select. None of the ammo showed a greater than normal residue. Maybe the powder in the ammo you are using is "dirtier" than average. I usually shoot around 50-100 rounds per shooting session.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    My last dealing with Sig customer service has turned me off of any offering from them. Besides, the market is saturated with other proven options.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Thanks guys. It's possible it just needed a couple of cleanings to get it there, as it was what I would consider pretty dirty when I got it.

I'll keep an eye on it.

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Thanks guys. It's possible it just needed a couple of cleanings to get it there, as it was what I would consider pretty dirty when I got it.

I'll keep an eye on it.

I'm a little late but I'd have to say the mine actually runs cleaner than expected (Fiocci, AE, Blazer and misc. others). Mine went 900 rounds without cleaning. Never did have a failure. After 900+ it received a detailed cleaning and inspection. Good as new.

If the gun held 8 rounds; I'd still think it a great little pistol. Capacity is just a bonus.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    My last dealing with Sig customer service has turned me off of any offering from them. Besides, the market is saturated with other proven options.
    I've heard similar complaints about Sig customer service. Would you please elaborate?

Top Bottom