• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2009
    Dyer
    Chernobyl could have been much, much worse had the Russians not "persuaded" hundreds of thousands of liquidators to help in containing the disaster. If the reactor would have melted through the bottom of the plant and hit the water table most of Europe would be a wasteland today.

Let us hope that something like this doesn't occur in Japan. These plants are right on the ocean.

"and a third of the waters turned to blood"- does this sound familiar?

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    My mother and I were just trading "fun facts" we'd seen on different news reports...

The earthquake shifted the mass of the earth enough that it sped up the rotation of the earth by 1.6 microseconds, which I guess is a pretty big deal in the astrophysics world...

My mother saw on another news station that the entire main island of Japan has been shifted by 8 feet. That'll screw with some GPS-dependant drivers...

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    If this is that serious why don't other countries possibly step in to help contain these nuclear facilities. Because there is nothing we can do? Im just sayin'

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    :)::)::)::)::)::): :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

yeah, I think its funny you think the japanese are so innocent. generations should pay for what they have done. you do know that they teach their school children that WE (the U.S.) attacked them first dont you? they have never accepted responsibility for what they did. Japan should be called the U.S. labor colony of Japan, as far as im concerned. same with germany. there were no innocent germans except the ones who fled germany when hitler started killing innocent people.

No. I respectfully submit that you are missing the point. Why would we want to hand out 40 acres and a mule (you forgot that part ;))? We weren't the ones who sold our own countrymen into slavery. As far as Native Americans, as much as I hate to say it, we did nothing to them that they weren't already doing to themselves (with perhaps the exception to the unforgiveable Trail of Tears). We happened along with superior firepower and the rest is history. :patriot:
    I do no advocate later generations paying for the previous ones. Ranger does however.

It was not acceptable to our nation now nor ever to torture and murder POWs. There is a difference and you know it.
    In their culture it is dishonorable to become a POW. It is cowardly. How else would they treat them? We treated American citizens worse in WWII merely because of their race. Stripped them of their precious Bill of Rights.

As far as nukes on Japan---they earned it. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. You do know that they engaged in bombing us during WW2, on the CONUS, don't you?
    I know a Japanese "fugos" bomb killed an Oregon family after the war. After it floated across the pond. Not exactly what I call a threat.

Fugos

They bombed Chinese cities full of civilians. The Nazis also relentlessly bombed civilians. Notice a pattern?
    So did we. Look up the bombing of Dresden. The nukes are self explanatory.

It was war, plain and simple. Not war like we see today, where we *****-foot around and worry about how we look to the rest of the world. We did the Japanese a FAVOR by dropping nukes on them. Had we commenced with Operation Downfall, over a MILLION Allied lives would have been lost, and TENS OF MILLIONS of Japanese would have been killed. We gave them the opportunity to surrender, they refused, we dropped a nuke on them, and they STILL refused. There's stupid, and then there's STUPID.

Debate of past transgressions is fine, but let's take an accurate look at all the information before posting. :twocents:

Here is your more accurate look at history. Everyone is guilty. No one deserves what is happening there.:noway:

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    this is insane. Japan was not prepared at all for this. I feel sorry for all the people there, and my prayers are for them.

Makes me wonder if any of the preppers here have thought about the New Madrid Fault splitting with a quake like that. I now I'm not at all ready for it.

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    The sick part of it is this. If there is one nation that DOES prepare its Civil Defense Forces for stuff like this it IS the Japanese. Having lived there (and not on an American base - but out in Japanese society) for a couple of years - I can only speak to what I've seen. If I had to pick a country to HAVE their civil defense/public infrastructure :poop: together on this, it would be them. They spend tons on it - because it is more needed given their situation. If this happened ANYWHERE else, I suspect that the response would be LESS swift and skilled, not more. That includes here in the States. That's not due to any pro-Japanese bent on my part. It's just the simple logic that such civil defense is a huge priority to them, and it's less so to us. This is their Katrina with a nuclear problem thrown on top for good measure. Their civil defense will do well, I believe, but there's only so much that they can do. Old Ma' Nature's bigger than all of us.

The take home message for me is this: 1) You must be prepared with the supplies to ride out 72 hours of NO infrastructure at ALL times. 2) There are cases where the BEST civil defense/govt aid cannot get to you. 3) Consider well your surroundings when choosing where you live. 4) Consider well where you store your long term supplies. and how. 5) Training, conditioning (I'm in horrible shape) have now gone higher on my list. Massive stockpiles of stuff are good, but slightly less important.

This is still kind of surreal for me. One of the places that I lived in Japan (for more than a year) was in the town of Mito (pop 250k or so) in Ibaraki prefecture. It's featured in a least one of the pictures I've seen as having a ton of earthquake damage. One of the places that I visited was Oarai. You will know it because that's the harbor with the giant whirlpool in it. I thought that the whirlpool was pretty amazing - until I realized where it was.

My friend (that I mentioned above) left the following note on his Facebook page. For the record he lives in the Indy area and has a lot of ties to Japan. He was there for the Kobe quake a while back. I share this with you because you NEVER know where you are going to be when the walls start coming down. My friend happened to be in one of the safest possible spots when all hell broke loose. Many were not. Forgive the long post, please.

<QUOTE>
    Back HOME Safe!!!! I left my Hotel in Kumamoto at 3:30pm Thursday Indy Time (Friday 5:30am Japan time) and arrived home Friday night 10pm. It was a very long day for me. I left Kumamoto and flew to the Tokyo Haneda airport and while looking down at the scenery including Mt. Fuji below, couldn't help thinking about disasters-volcanic eruptions, earthquakes, etc. I took the bus from Haneda (ArmedProgrammer note: To Narita airport )instead of taking the subway/trains (which I never do) because I thought it would be safer "in an emergency". Delta flight 276 left on time from the gate at 2:30pm and after the jet in front of us took off, we were just moving into position for take off. It first felt like a flat tire, but soon the shaking got terrible and the plane stopped and I realized after a brief moment of high anxiety about some catastrophic aircraft failure, realized it was an earthquake. A very large earthquake, and it seemed to roll on on an on. The pilot announced a short delay to check the runway after the tremor, but the tremors kept coming long and hard. The airport terminal had been evacuated and with no more room, we stayed on the plane. Eventually they ok'd us to leave and after 7 hours on the ground, we took off to uproarious applause and cheers. My phone didn't work for calls, but internet did, so I was able to get some info, email my wife, and make some FB updates. [His wife's] parents in Nagoya are fine. Thank you to all who had best wishes and prayers in their hearts for my safe return. It is still quite eerie watching the incredible news footage of something terrible happening in a far off land that I was a part of. My body can still feel the tremors. Very surreal. One of the passengers remarked at how it was like watching one of those disaster movies to which I replied "You are 'in' a disaster movie". My heart and prayers go out to so many whose lives have been changed forever on this my today.
    </QUOTE>

Last edited:

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    Makes me wonder if any of the preppers here have thought about the New Madrid Fault splitting with a quake like that. I now I'm not at all ready for it.

If the New Madrid faultline let loose like that, I am pretty sure 50-80% of buildings here would be toast. We have no shear strength built into our structures here. I was shocked to see my house when they took the siding off last year had only foam insulation on the studs. This is an older house and I guess I was hoping for plywood all the way around.

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    Worst thread ever.

Ok, maybe not... But pretty freaking bad anyhow.

How self righteous can on man get??? True colors show through. Can't say I'm surprised.

Prayers to all who are suffering, even those who might deserve it.

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    One of the reactors blew!
    capt.de6524c5e75846f49f74dcc348ce18d1-de6524c5e75846f49f74dcc348ce18d1-0.jpg

Top Bottom