• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    This gets back to the main point of prepping - pretty actively taught at my church as well... Here's the general principles

1) Have a plan
    2) Have a "72 Hour kit" for each person. Idea here being enough compact stuff to keep you alive and reasonably ok for 72 hours if you had to leave your location and there were NO other services. This is the kit that most people in Japan would be into right about now. We have these built as backpacks just in case it's a situation like this.
    3) Have a larger supply of stuff that you regularly use on hand
    4) Have a year's supply staples, as much fuel as makes sense, etc.

Those are all well and good - but after watching all of the stuff with this situation, I'm thinking some other things are equally/more important. here's a few that I'm coming up with.

1) Have training and a mental outlook such that you can thrive under this kind of situation.
    2) Test out your preps by voluntarily cutting yourself off from things once in a while. A couple of friends of mine (their wives actually) had a contest to try out their food storage set up and see how solid it was. Neither family was allowed to go to the store for a month. Still had power and everything, although they did try out their camp stoves, etc. just for fun. Each family had several kids - and they learned a TON about how solid their set up was. This sounds like a fun way to prepare so that if a situation did develop - it would be second nature.
    3) There is great wisdom in not being addicted to anything - the only thing the people in Japan don't need to be facing along with the other issues that they have is Jones-ing for a smoke, or coffee, or Mountain Dew, or something.
    4) I kind of doubt that the ATM's are working in that area. Cash supply?

Just a few thoughts...

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    As for what we do voluntarily, looks like we agree to disagree there. And as for the "kick them in the huevos" part, if we truly take that attitude, we will soon have NO friends/allies. Why would ANYONE become your ally/friend if your kick your friends in the nards when they are down? Not terribly smart on our part.

Are there ANY nations/allies that you would deem worthy of our help should they face a similar situation? Who would be worthy of our aid when they face a disaster of this magnitude? Or do we help no one?

Again - I refer specifically to us as a nation VOLUNTARILY helping another nation friendly to us (to one degree or another). And NOT us being forced into it! You and I agree on that from everything I can see.
    When tax dollars are spent on something it is no longer voluntary. If people want to voluntarily donate money to a charity that will help, that's fine with me. As far as other nations worthy of our help, NONE. The US government has only tax dollars and should spend them ONLY here. Again, if individuals want to organize and spend their money helping others, so be it. I personally feel that our borders and coastlines need to be CLOSED to all incoming AND outgoing.....freight, people, manufactured goods, oil, etc....EVERYTHING. If an individual wishes to leave, go right ahead but there's no coming back. Things need to remain this way until the rest of the world comes to grips with itself, bows to us, or we are completely self reliant again...whichever comes first. When another nation becomes a threat to us and our borders/coastlines, they get wiped clean, taken over as US possessions or disarmed completely, swiftly and without hesitation. But that's just my opinion, I doubt there is any other way to remain sovereign.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    This gets back to the main point of prepping - pretty actively taught at my church as well... Here's the general principles

1) Have a plan
    2) Have a "72 Hour kit" for each person. Idea here being enough compact stuff to keep you alive and reasonably ok for 72 hours if you had to leave your location and there were NO other services. This is the kit that most people in Japan would be into right about now. We have these built as backpacks just in case it's a situation like this.
    3) Have a larger supply of stuff that you regularly use on hand
    4) Have a year's supply staples, as much fuel as makes sense, etc.

Those are all well and good - but after watching all of the stuff with this situation, I'm thinking some other things are equally/more important. here's a few that I'm coming up with.

1) Have training and a mental outlook such that you can thrive under this kind of situation.
    2) Test out your preps by voluntarily cutting yourself off from things once in a while. A couple of friends of mine (their wives actually) had a contest to try out their food storage set up and see how solid it was. Neither family was allowed to go to the store for a month. Still had power and everything, although they did try out their camp stoves, etc. just for fun. Each family had several kids - and they learned a TON about how solid their set up was. This sounds like a fun way to prepare so that if a situation did develop - it would be second nature.
    3) There is great wisdom in not being addicted to anything - the only thing the people in Japan don't need to be facing along with the other issues that they have is Jones-ing for a smoke, or coffee, or Mountain Dew, or something.
    4) I kind of doubt that the ATM's are working in that area. Cash supply?

Just a few thoughts...

Several very valid points there!

Two more to throw on the Table...
    Have a Bug Out Plan, and a Bug In Plan...
    - Plan to leave which I believe several on here have already considered. But also have a Plan in place to stay if there is no other choice. Sometimes you will not be able to leave the fan area. ;)

Also there needs to be a GOTH Plan also.
    - The plan when all other plans are not possible. I think most in Japan are currently operating on this plan...

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think several here are hung on others of us who appear to have no compassion for the Peoples of Japan. Just because I have little Compassion for Peoples that are Several thousand miles away and I have never met, does not mean I do not have Empathy for what they are going through. I just have more important things to worry about crap a half a World away...

Not sorry if that bothers some of you...
    Welcome to life...

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Jeremy -

Just to be clear, I think that there are two different things in play here. There is a vast difference between saying - "hey the situation sucks, but I have more important things to worry about" and those that are saying "the bastards deserved it for what they did to us in WWII". A VAST difference. I have ZERO problem with your take - assuming that your take is the former. I certainly have closer ties to Japan than others do and hey, that's cool. If your take is the latter - that is actively hating - NOT passively saying hey it sucks - but I don't have time to worry about it. Two very different reactions,at least in my book.

Lastly - I'm not sure that it matters. I may be disappointed in some of the active hate that I've seen displayed here. But at the end of the day, I have no right to tell anyone here what they should believe. I can just shake my head in wonder. It's kind of like the Westboro dudes that picket the funerals - I can disagree with them all to heck, but I'm not gonna change their minds. I will peacefully point out that there's a difference of opinion, maybe try to clarify the points of view, and walk on.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I think several here are hung on others of us who appear to have no compassion for the Peoples of Japan. Just because I have little Compassion for Peoples that are Several thousand miles away and I have never met, does not mean I do not have Empathy for what they are going through. I just have more important things to worry about crap a half a World away...

Speaking for myself, as I said early on apathy isn't an issue for me, nor is black humor. It's an almost gleeful attitude that seems to take pleasure or satisfaction in the suffering of other folks who, almost entirely, have done no harm to those who seem to be happy about it. House of the neighbor across the street has never done me any harm, but to whom I'm not close burns down and I've got some sympathy, even if I don't directly offer to help by letting his family shelter in my house until they can find other accomodations. But it speaks large to my character if I were to taunt them and laugh at them while they were wandering out on the street dazed and injured. I know that's not the kind of person I want to be.

I have two choices with regard to this issue. I can ignore it and not speak up, and some folks will get the impression that's more widely accepted and acceptable a way to be. Or I can speak up and point out that for what little my respect may mean to someone, some will tend to be lost for folks who have that attitude, and also to illustrate that not everyone who hangs out here has the same beliefs. In the end it probably doesn't really matter since what I write here won't really change anyone's attitudes, but there are some things that I'm not comfortable remaining silent about. I can't really help it: in spite of being a non-religious heathen, I've spent a large portion of my life trying to help other folks and to generally make the world around me a little better when I can.

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Jeremy -

Just to be clear, I think that there are two different things in play here. There is a vast difference between saying - "hey the situation sucks, but I have more important things to worry about" and those that are saying "the bastards deserved it for what they did to us in WWII". A VAST difference. I have ZERO problem with your take - assuming that your take is the former. I certainly have closer ties to Japan than others do and hey, that's cool. If your take is the latter - that is actively hating - NOT passively saying hey it sucks - but I don't have time to worry about it. Two very different reactions,at least in my book.

I will admit IF I do have any Prejudice towards a Race of People it is towards Asians...
    Just happens when you are brought up in a Family that has had almost EVERY generation for a Century fight a Peoples... ;)

I do think it is Karma that has caught up to them, not just for what has happened against us during WWII either though. I also think that Karma is going to catch up to us for some of the things WE (the US) has done in the last 40 years too though...
    Lastly - I'm not sure that it matters. I may be disappointed in some of the active hate that I've seen displayed here. But at the end of the day, I have no right to tell anyone here what they should believe. I can just shake my head in wonder. It's kind of like the Westboro dudes that picket the funerals - I can disagree with them all to heck, but I'm not gonna change their minds. I will peacefully point out that there's a difference of opinion, maybe try to clarify the points of view, and walk on.
    I can understand that...
    Like I said earlier, I may sympathize but I do not empathize with them at all...

Speaking for myself, as I said early on apathy isn't an issue for me, nor is black humor. It's an almost gleeful attitude that seems to take pleasure or satisfaction in the suffering of other folks who, almost entirely, have done no harm to those who seem to be happy about it. House of the neighbor across the street has never done me any harm, but to whom I'm not close burns down and I've got some sympathy, even if I don't directly offer to help by letting his family shelter in my house until they can find other accomodations. But it speaks large to my character if I were to taunt them and laugh at them while they were wandering out on the street dazed and injured. I know that's not the kind of person I want to be.

I have two choices with regard to this issue. I can ignore it and not speak up, and some folks will get the impression that's more widely accepted and acceptable a way to be. Or I can speak up and point out that for what little my respect may mean to someone, some will tend to be lost for folks who have that attitude, and also to illustrate that not everyone who hangs out here has the same beliefs. In the end it probably doesn't really matter since what I write here won't really change anyone's attitudes, but there are some things that I'm not comfortable remaining silent about. I can't really help it: in spite of being a non-religious heathen, I've spent a large portion of my life trying to help other folks and to generally make the world around me a little better when I can.
    Shim,
    I am NOT in the camp of let's dance in the streets due to harm having befallen the Peoples of Japan...

My wife asked me why I am on a VFD. I told her it is my Penance for some of my past...

leveraction

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    near camp atterbury
    I served this country proudly, and I am encouraged by many of the post I read here.
    And ashamed of many others.
    I KNOW that US military personell, there and enroute will do this country proud in their efforts to help japans people. THIS, I AM PROUD OF as we all should be, that is
    what we should be and are about.
    as for those who constantly try to convince everyone how bad hey are, and how they could care less. it has been my experience, that many of those are the first ones to **** and crap themselves, when faced with death. and have no other comment about their disaster preparedness.
    I PRAY FOR japans people, and our troops there doing what is right

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    I was stationed over in Okinawa back in 1980-81. Was involved in an off-base church and got to interact with a lot of Japanese civilians. They were very gracious, reserved and displayed a deep sense of humility. The Japanese Air Force technicians were fun to be around yet disciplined and professional. The civilians I met on the main islands were the same way. Ended up being back in Okinawa after 9-11 and had the same experience.

I do not behold any grudges against the Japanese people. They were defeated by us in WWII and have turned into a strong Allies. For the same reason I do not begrudge the English, Italians, Spanish and Germans.

The little town I live in, was hit by an EF3 Tornado, 13 years ago. We lived without power for only three days. We had an insurance adjuster there within 12 hours. The only casualty was someone with a broken leg. We never ran out of food or water. Medical help was plentiful. We had it easy, compared to what the Japanese are suffering through.

This is an opportunity to learn from this disaster, in order to increase our preparedness. This event will influence our friends, family and government officials on the need to be prepared. We all know what happened when the victims of Katrina ended up at the Superdome.

Last edited:

ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    I was stationed over in Okinawa back in 1980-81. Was involved in an off-base church and got to interact with a lot of Japanese civilians. They were very gracious, reserved and displayed a deep sense of humility. The Japanese Air Force technicians were fun to be around yet disciplined and professional. The civilians I met on the main islands were the same way. Ended up being back in Okinawa after 9-11 and had the same experience.

I do not behold any grudges against the Japanese people. They were defeated by us in WWII and have turned into a strong Allies. For the same reason i do not begrudge the English, Italians, Spanish and Germans.
    You still hate the french though right?

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana

Bucky623

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    International response to Hurricane Katrina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I also remember after the Gulf oil spill that a bunch of countries were ready to come in and start sucking up oil but Obama refused.
    A quote from the link above.

“Washington -- If the saying "a friend in need is a friend indeed" is true, Japan is one of the best friends the United States ever could have to provide support while so many Americans are suffering in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina.

Japanese private citizens and the government alike have sent a virtual tsunami of assistance to the victims of Katrina…”

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    this looks like its past the point of salvage. someone with balls needs to drop a bomb on it. tell everyone to leave. if they dont, then its on them. dust in the wind.

I dont want this stuff reaching california and then having all those tards move east.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Just a thought .

The Japanese have suffered an earthquake , a tsunami , a radiological emergency and rumblings of volcano's .

If these are signs of the Japanese paying for their bad karma , we're ****ED!

Top Bottom