• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Ok, now I'm curious about what your disagreement is/was. :) Care to elaborate?

I believe that when you have a constitutional duty to advise and consent, you actually are supposed to consider the candidate and decide whether or not you are going to consent. To play it by Hoyle, I think that there should have been hearings and then if they didn't want him, Bork him.

I have hard hard time squaring complete rejection of consideration with the Senate's constitutional duties. Hell, I don't even see an issue with not closing debate until after the election to see if you are going to be able to out last them, but simply refusing a hearing at all doesn't sit square to me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't disagree with you, fundamentally. However, the Senate makes the rules that the Senate follows, so whoever runs the Senate...

We all know that each side will wield the power it has to try to accomplish what it wants to accomplish. It would be refreshing to hear someone, anyone, acknowledge that instead of bleating about how we are the defenders of truth, justice and the American way and the other guys kick puppies and eat kittens...and of course, which party is which changes every once in a while...but they all claim they have morality on their side when the truth is, I'm not so sure that there is a morality about the procedural working of a legislative body. It's power and politics.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I believe that when you have a constitutional duty to advise and consent, you actually are supposed to consider the candidate and decide whether or not you are going to consent. To play it by Hoyle, I think that there should have been hearings and then if they didn't want him, Bork him.

I have hard hard time squaring complete rejection of consideration with the Senate's constitutional duties. Hell, I don't even see an issue with not closing debate until after the election to see if you are going to be able to out last them, but simply refusing a hearing at all doesn't sit square to me.

The rep majority called cloture on my ability to rep you (actually, it was premature repification on my part), but I see your point.

Again, I see it as playing within the rules. They could do that with every nomination, and it then becomes a political question. Heck, it WAS a political issue. Just not an important enough one to overcome HRC's fundamental political flaws.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I think there should certainly be some kind of cognative performance test as elected officials get older. I think an 85 year old judge or senator or congressman or president or attorney general ect, is just reckless. Come on. Seriously come on.
    I know some 85 year olds could mentally out perform some 20 year olds, but a capable younger person is going to run circles around the 85 year old. It's just how our bodies age. 85 year olds driving is the same as a drunk driver operating a car.

I hope she recovers. I dont wish her any harm. I appreciate the service she has given our country. However I believe she should retire. Not my decision but I would think she would put service before politics and right now I believe shed rather decompose in her chair than give trump another nomination. That's wrong. That's not being an impartial judiciary.

I didnt like Obama's picks, but he held the office of president and they were his to make. I just want judges that dont put any personal opinions into the court. I dont believe we see that out of most judges the left appoints

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I think there should certainly be some kind of cognative performance test as elected officials get older. I think an 85 year old judge or senator or congressman or president or attorney general ect, is just reckless. Come on. Seriously come on.
    I know some 85 year olds could mentally out perform some 20 year olds, but a capable younger person is going to run circles around the 85 year old. It's just how our bodies age. 85 year olds driving is the same as a drunk driver operating a car.

So kind of like the responsibility of owning a gun? Once you are a certain age you must demonstrate gun safety, marksmanship and pass a cognitive test designed by the government? Sounds Fair(?).

Whatever test was developed and applied for these octogenarians would be fraught with political controversy and manipulation to obtain a desired result.
    DEMs - let's kick out Reagan, we don't like success.
    REPs - let's retire RGB, we want to appoint her replacement with a conservative.

And what about the qualifications of the youngsters like Ocasio-Cortez? Should she not hold the seat in the House because she is unqualified and incapable of performing the job? The left currently says the same thing about Trump's abilities.

quote-i-want-you-to-know-that-also-i-will-not-make-age-an-issue-of-this-campaign-i-am-not-ronald-reagan-45-2-0258.jpg

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    So kind of like the responsibility of owning a gun? Once you are a certain age you must demonstrate gun safety, marksmanship and pass a cognitive test designed by the government? Sounds Fair(?).

Whatever test was developed and applied for these octogenarians would be fraught with political controversy and manipulation to obtain a desired result.
    DEMs - let's kick out Reagan, we don't like success.
    REPs - let's retire RGB, we want to appoint her replacement with a conservative.

And what about the qualifications of the youngsters like Ocasio-Cortez? Should she not hold the seat in the House because she is unqualified and incapable of performing the job? The left currently says the same thing about Trump's abilities.

quote-i-want-you-to-know-that-also-i-will-not-make-age-an-issue-of-this-campaign-i-am-not-ronald-reagan-45-2-0258.jpg
    Owning a gun is not a priveledge it's a right that cannot be infringed. Being a public servant is not the same at all.

They already abuse their power to limit things and use politics. Look at what the Democrats did to be able to push justices through but it backfired. I dont like that crap on either side.
    If a president is incapable of performing his duty then the 25th amendment gives us a constitutional process to remove them. We also have that ability with justices. I believe if a system is put into place to require tests for elderly then they will retire themselves and it will never come to that. But come on, these people know they arent tip top, it's hard to let power go for some people.
    I only want what's best for the country. I used to respect Democrats. I didnt agree with them the majority of the time but I never questioned their patriotism. Now with the current state of the Democrat party I do question their patriotism and I do believe the party has been influenced by outside governments or fallen into those beliefs that fundamentally go against the constitution. We need unbiased justices and judges who will interprit the constitution as it was written and not interject their personal opinions. Democrat or Republican .

Last edited:

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Im seeing some reports that RBG will retire in January! Boy i hope its true! Fingers crossed!

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I'll believe that when I see it. In the meantime I'm not holding my breath.

I hear ya. Im not getting my hopes up either but the report i seen stated one of her cancers that she previously had is back. Ill have to go back and see if i can find the link to post here

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    I hear ya. Im not getting my hopes up either but the report i seen stated one of her cancers that she previously had is back. Ill have to go back and see if i can find the link to post here

I think a planned retirement will all hinge on what is most important to her:
    • Her health and life.
    • The integrity of the court (full bench with fully functioning justices).
    • The party and her liberal leanings.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I think a planned retirement will all hinge on what is most important to her:
    • Her health and life.
    • The integrity of the court (full bench with fully functioning justices).
    • The party and her liberal leanings.
    Ill take “party and liberal leanings” for $1000 Alex.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    I’m not seeing anything about her potentially stepping down. Links, please!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    She is lucky she did not break a hip at that age. I won't wish her any harm. The scary thing is I seen an interview she did a while back and other then taking a moment to rethink her words she was pretty dam lucid. She just thinks differently then most of us. I also think that she probably doesn't have much of a life out side of the court.

But I think in my golden years I would be spending time with my grand kids.

At 85, your grandkids are in their late 30's. You're excused. You aren't old enough to do great grandpa math.

The Golden Years can kiss my ass.

Top Bottom