• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I don't think its a concern of showing the license, its the concern of all the data being copied and retained somewhere in a database that brings the concern.

Honestly, I'm surprised that these companies are requiring this type of PII to be provided and that they are storing the data potentially, but then when there is nothing but a slap on the wrist for a breach these days, I guess there is no disincentive.

THIS. I have no trouble showing a cashier my ID, allowing him or her to type in xx/xx/xxxx and be on my way. In fact, I strongly encourage it when they attempt to scan. I dont mind a human reading my ID because I know its not practical for them to record any more data than is REQUIRED for the transaction.

Its the fact that by reading the barcode, they collect ALL the data on the front of the card and more... its just how barcodes work. I'm sure they are going to say they dont store it, but how to prove it? They dont allow all the cashiers in the cash office, do they? No! But why not? Sure they are near all that cash without good reason, but they should just have to trust that they wont touch any of that cash they have access to. For best practices you dont expose more data than you NEED and you dont provide access to more stuff than is REQUIRED for your task. So even making the data available to the system just to grab one field is bad.

And even if they DO only capture the DOB field. What happens when hackers (like the Target breach) go in and tweak the system to redirect all that scanned data elsewhere to do bad things with?

Make a new barcode with only the name and birthday and stick it over the existing one. Or just have it return obscenities, i doubt it is verified anyway. If it scans, the register monkeys won't have a clue.

That is so evil it is brilliant. My luck I'd get pulled over and forget to remove the fake barcode and end up in cuffs after the officer scanned it to retrieve my info and actually read the forged data. LOL

But I might just have to try it once just to see what happens.

Last edited:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Sounds like someone needs to get into home brewing.

But...

giphy.gif

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    Cant find the original thread about scanning drivers licenses for alcohol purchases, so I guess its time to start another.

Stopped by to grab some beer on the way home and was told by the cashier that she absolutely would NOT sell me alcohol unless I removed the sticker from my barcode that was preventing her from scanning it. I politely but firmly said it would not be scanned and that all the data she needed was right there on the front. She pounded a couple keys to remove the scan and moved my beer behind her to the next (closed) register. "I'm not selling this without scanning. Company policy." Fine, call a manager. Lady behind me about the same age (also late 40s) asked if she needed to get her ID from the car to buy cigarettes and was told that she was fine, its just alcohol.

Manager came over and gave me the same story. Just following orders. :rolleyes:I expressed my concerns very firmly that everything she needed was on the front and she could just type it in. He told her to sell it to me and walked off.

So I fired this letter off a few minutes ago. We'll see what they say. Regardless, they have already likely lost all my business.

-------------------------

I am writing in regards to your policy of requiring drivers licenses to be scanned for the purchase of alcohol.

For the past several months whenever I would stop at your various stores I would be told that it was required and company policy is to scan a drivers license in order to sell alcohol. I refused every time for privacy reasons and the cashiers would reluctantly key in the date with varying levels of minor hostility. Until today, it has been nothing more than annoyance.

Today however, the cashier flatly refused to sell me beer unless I removed the sticker that partially covered the barcode on the back of my drivers license to prevent unauthorized scanning without my consent. I asked her to call a manager.

Manager Brian I believe finally came up and the cashier told him what was going on. We had a brief discussion while he inspected my ID and used the excuse “Its just company policy.” He was polite, but rather short and it was obvious he had better things to do than be called to the register to deal with the matter.

What is your justification for requiring me to handover the following in order to purchase alcohol?:
    Name
    Address
    Height
    Weight
    Drivers license number
    Whether I am an organ donor
    What special restrictions or endorsements are on my license

I don’t have to give that much information to buy a firearm or even get a loan!

How do you justify requiring customers to handover all of the above information to you simply to make a simple purchase?

Part of my job is in IT data security. In my professional opinion that policy is exposing far more information than is required for the transaction, and sets up customers for data breaches. This policy is an obscene overreach and an abuse of customer data. Do you honestly believe that this policy is reasonable and appropriate? All the data your cashier needs is on the face of the ID.

I look forward to your reply.

Respectfully,
    Cameramonkey

I gotta ask, what information do you believe they will get from scanning the bar code versus holding everyone up while typing your birth date and license number into the register.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I gotta ask, what information do you believe they will get from scanning the bar code versus holding everyone up while typing your birth date and license number into the register.

Doesn't matter. One challenges the memory of a minimum wage cashier.

The other is cemented in the memory of a computer.

One's evidence, the other isn't.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart

How much longer does it really take to type in 8 numbers? 1-2 seconds. I'll wait. No problem.
    They try to type my dl number in and i will take my license from them and leave my beer and $150 worth of groceries sitting on the conveyer belt.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth

They don't need any of that information to verify someone's age. There is no requirement to record any information when selling alcohol.

Check ID. Verify age. Take money. Say, "thank you for your business." (End of transaction)

Capturing your info is all well and good for the stores, but I don't think it's even the primary reason they do it. They do it because the have no confidence in the ability of their cashiers to subtract 21 from the current year.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    You mean like a full blown liquor store? The same bastards that fight tooth and nail to keep sunday sales away and cold beer sales their exclusive racket? **** them too.

And I used a 3D scanner to read mine once. I know the SSN wasnt included on that barcode. At least not in an unencrypted format.

Mea Culpa! I forgot you guys have some strange laws (we do too. I can't order wine on the internet because the distributor lobby has the legislature by the wallet)

Not far from me there is a converted 7-11 size store that sells nothing but beer, probably more than 600 varieties. Pricing isn't an issue because the state sets minimum prices and just about everything (except for really esoteric stuff) sells at minimum

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Mea Culpa! I forgot you guys have some strange laws (we do too. I can't order wine on the internet because the distributor lobby has the legislature by the wallet)

Not far from me there is a converted 7-11 size store that sells nothing but beer, probably more than 600 varieties. Pricing isn't an issue because the state sets minimum prices and just about everything (except for really esoteric stuff) sells at minimum

im jelly. You guys have drive thru stores.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Wow! I've never had my license scanned for anything and had never heard of it until reading this post. Something new?

It's getting all too common for stores to scan ID. It's happened to me twice in the last year.
    First was at Meijer buying shotgun shells. Cashier asked for my ID.No problem I'm thinking until she scans my DL and all my info pops up on the screen. 2nd time was Kroger last Sunday getting a 6 pack of Mick Ultra. Seeing how I haven't had a beer or even a drink in years..(make that almost 2 decades now_ a beer sounded pretty good. Clerk/cashier asked for my ID to scan it. NOPE, that **** ain't happening again. I took my INDL back from her and told her to well... basically make it a Mick Ultra enima. I lost the urge for a beer after that. Maybe I'll make it to20 years without a drink? IF Kroger and/or Meijer have anything to do with it I'm sure I'll remain alcohol free for another 20 years.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How much longer does it really take to type in 8 numbers? 1-2 seconds. I'll wait. No problem.
    They try to type my dl number in and i will take my license from them and leave my beer and $150 worth of groceries sitting on the conveyer belt.
    10 -15 tops when she has to type on a touchscreen with 4” long fake nails. LOL

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    At the Meijer by me, it has a sign that says they'll card you if you look under 40 years old.
    I'm in my early 60's and one time I had some big mouth woman who claimed she was a bartender and "KNEW THE LAW" and that THEY MUST CARD EVERYBODY BY LAW.

I pointed out that the sign on the checkout says if I look under 40 they'll card me, and that's what state law is too.

I said "OK. I'll show it to you".
    "Big mouth" insisted she MUST scan it.
    I said "you're not scanning my info into your database".

So I simply said "then take it off the bill".
    "Big mouth" suddenly got all flustered when it became obvious she didn't know how to take my bottle of wine off the bill.

Then my wife pulls out her ID and tells her to scan HERS!
    I could've strangled her. ;)

OTHER than that, I've had maybe a couple of other times, and I just showed it to them while ridiculing them.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    At the Meijer by me, it has a sign that says they'll card you if you look under 40 years old.
    I'm in my early 60's and one time I had some big mouth woman who claimed she was a bartender and "KNEW THE LAW" and that THEY MUST CARD EVERYBODY BY LAW.

I pointed out that the sign on the checkout says if I look under 40 they'll card me, and that's what state law is too.

I said "OK. I'll show it to you".
    "Big mouth" insisted she MUST scan it.
    I said "you're not scanning my info into your database".

So I simply said "then take it off the bill".
    "Big mouth" suddenly got all flustered when it became obvious she didn't know how to take my bottle of wine off the bill.

Then my wife pulls out her ID and tells her to scan HERS!
    I could've strangled her. ;)

OTHER than that, I've had maybe a couple of other times, and I just showed it to them while ridiculing them.

Removing alcohol from an order typically requires supervisor codes, so they have to page someone to come help them do it. All the more reason that they give up the argument and type it in.

My wife is on the same page as me with the ID scanning. I'm done with my Kroger, and I'm going to a local liquor store that I already talked to about it. They say they're privately owned, and have no plans to do **** like that.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My ID is inside my wallet, behind the plastic screen. If they ask for me to remove it, that's the red flag to ask "Why?"

Mine used to be. Until I got older and had to change to a smaller front pocket money clip wallet because a traditional bi/tri fold wallet like that would trigger a nerve and cause excruciating leg pain.

On the plus side my Chiropractor visits have been reduced to just a couple times a year during flare ups instead of regular visits.

daddyusmaximus

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.9%
    88   1   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Remington
    Wow, I've never had this happen because I quit drinking over 20 years ago, but I'd be all kinda of riled up if they tried to scan my ID with some type of electronic device.

Just look at my birth date, to see if I'm old enough,
    then my photo and my face to see if it's me...

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Removing alcohol from an order typically requires supervisor codes, so they have to page someone to come help them do it. All the more reason that they give up the argument and type it in.

My wife is on the same page as me with the ID scanning. I'm done with my Kroger, and I'm going to a local liquor store that I already talked to about it. They say they're privately owned, and have no plans to do **** like that.

This overbearing woman seemed confused about even having to call a supervisor.
    She actually began trying to type something into the self checkout but getting nowhere.
    And the funny part was, the wind quickly went out her sails! ;)

I only saw her there that one time, so she didn't last long there.

But any more, if they INSIST, I pull my license out and hold it in my hand while just displaying my date of birth.
    (which has only happened a couple of times over the last couple of years)
    If that's not enough, they can just keep it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Mine used to be. Until I got older and had to change to a smaller front pocket money clip wallet because a traditional bi/tri fold wallet like that would trigger a nerve and cause excruciating leg pain.

On the plus side my Chiropractor visits have been reduced to just a couple times a year during flare ups instead of regular visits.

Bingo. Money clip. It really reduces the crap I would normally carry and yes it is because of my back.
    But I do not drink. The spouse and daughter often pick up a bottle of wine at the Krogers/Miejers/sams club. Never even been carded. Guess we look "Mature"

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I'm not ridiculing you, but I am curious if you guys that are worried about your data pay cash for everything? Otherwise, your efforts are for naught. I used to be concerned about my data, but eventually realized how hopeless it is.

Top Bottom