Lady comes to defense of police officer shooting assailant, now getting sued.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Let us hope that there will be a vigorous countersuit, both against the family wanting the payday, and the attorney looking for a bigger payday.

That this has even came to be is a slap in our faces.
    Personal responsibility is disappearing.
    What does this woman have that they can take.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Update, I received a phone call from Senator Jim Tomes today. He is truly a 2nd amendment patriot and needs our support in his bid for re-election and I was honored that he took the time to call and discuss some topics. He was disgusted with this lawsuit just as we all are. He's already spoken with the attorney that is representing the female hero. He also stated that he has been in contact with other members of the Indiana House and Senate. They are going to try to come up with a amendment to reword the castle doctrine so that these types of lawsuits can't go forward. Hopefully they can, but it will take some time. Please take time to find your local Representative and send them a quick e-mail.

That's awesome.

The fund is up to $50k now, as well.

tcecil88

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    @ the corner of IN, KY & OH.
    I hope everything works out for the lady. She is a hero for doing what she did, no matter what the critics say. I for one would not hesitate to come to the aid of an officer in need. I know he or she would do the same for me. I have had the privilege to work with and meet several first responders in our area and they are first rate people.
    I live just a few miles from Aurora and I avoid the area due to the crime and drugs in that area.

**update**
    I just finished emailing Representative Lyness and Senator Perfect. I will update with any responses I get.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm still trying to figure out the angle here. It just doesn't make sense that someone would sue this lady for shooting a guy actively fighting with an officer, on the ground, and reaching for his gun. There has to be more to this story that we're not hearing... not that it makes a difference in my opinion of the shoot, but I want to know exactly what happened. I find it hard to believe that this chick took a shoot at a guy while he was on the ground tussling with an officer. Maybe they temporally disengaged and then she shot him?

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I'm still trying to figure out the angle here. It just doesn't make sense that someone would sue this lady for shooting a guy actively fighting with an officer, on the ground, and reaching for his gun. There has to be more to this story that we're not hearing... not that it makes a difference in my opinion of the shoot, but I want to know exactly what happened. I find it hard to believe that this chick took a shoot at a guy while he was on the ground tussling with an officer. Maybe they temporally disengaged and then she shot him?

In my mind the timing doesn't matter.This scumbag made a decision to harm a LEO. That decision ended up being deadly and rightly so.

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    In my mind the timing doesn't matter.This scumbag made a decision to harm a LEO. That decision ended being dealy and rightly so.

I don't disagree. But I'm the curious sort, and would like to know the specifics.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

It could be the family just wants revenge. And since the legal system isn't going to do it for them, they're going to try and make it do it. Some people just don't think their family members ought to ever be held accountable for their actions.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm still trying to figure out the angle here. It just doesn't make sense that someone would sue this lady for shooting a guy actively fighting with an officer, on the ground, and reaching for his gun.

Lulz, how does it not make sense and how is the "angle" not obvious?

Win: Get money.
    Settle: Get money.
    Lose: Lose nothing.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Whenever I see something like this, I wonder how this language from IC 35-41-3-2 applies:

"No person in this state shall be placed in legal jeopardy of any kind whatsoever for protecting the person or a third person by reasonable means necessary."

Maybe one of our attorneys could explain.

Of course, the reasonableness of the means has to be determined, but if one is solid on the reasonableness of the means used, is "legal jeopardy" a term that only applies to the criminal side?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Here's the complaint:
    https://mm.aiircdn.com/447/5ad5ddc3c1be2.pdf

I'm at a loss. I guess you really can sue for anything. :dunno:

There are some quotes in there that have me contemplating something I have never contemplated before:

21. Defendant Michael C. Powell and Defendant Kystie Jaehnen reached an understanding. engaged in a sequence of events or course of conduct. and otherwise agreed and conspired together to violate the constitutional rights of the Plaintiff.

22. Each defendant did reach this understanding and agreement, and did engage in this course of conduct with the mutual purpose, objective, and knowledge that it would deprive Justin Holland of his rights. privileges and immunities, as guaranteed by the Constitution and laws of the United States.

Really? How is this even something a person could commit to writing AND FILE IN COURT? That's some serious Rule 11 stuff right there. Then there's Rule of Professional Responsibility 3.1.

...but I'm sure Guy doesn't need my help from the cheap seats.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    There are some quotes in there that have me contemplating something I have never contemplated before:

Really? How is this even something a person could commit to writing AND FILE IN COURT? That's some serious Rule 11 stuff right there. Then there's Rule of Professional Responsibility 3.1.

...but I'm sure Guy doesn't need my help from the cheap seats.

I wondered that when I read it. SMH. He forgot to include Trump and the Russians tho.

From the accounts I read it sounds like the officer didn't even know she was there until he heard the gun shot.

Not even "Officer, do you need help?" "Yeah, he's going for my gun, get this @$$hole offa me!" BLAM! (Now there's an obvious conspiracy.)

p.s. isn't this a duplicate thread?

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I think in instances like these, if the defendant wins the case, the plaintiff should have to forfeit the same amount to the defendant, if they're suing for a million, when they loose the give a million to the defendant!

that'll stop bull s**t lawsuits like this!

OR we go back to my "shoot a lawyer day" idea

here's "shoot a lawyer day". everytime some "bull s**t waste court time" lawsuit gets filed, like "I cant get little debbies in the jail commissary", or "little timmy climbed to the top of a church building and fell and broke his arm", or "sally got drunk in a bar and was in a accident so I'm suing Budweiser beer", you know bull s**t lawsuits. the judge writes down the name of the idiot lawyer on a list (cause its the lawyers fault these cases happen! the lawyer could say no you don't have a case), and on april 1st (cause its april fools day) he hangs the list of lawyers names on a dart board, and throws a dart, and whoever's name he hits, the bailiff gets to shoot lawyer 1 time, if he lives he lives, if he dies, he dies either way, i'll guarantee that the next year, there wont be some lawsuit over somebody getting "fat because they ate too much mcdonalds food" (and yes that lawsuit was filled)

I do hope guy has filed a countersuit for harassment and emotional distress caused by the family's lawsuit and for the distress caused by the family's son's choice to force her shoot him!

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Here's the complaint:
    https://mm.aiircdn.com/447/5ad5ddc3c1be2.pdf

I'm at a loss. I guess you really can sue for anything. :dunno:

Anyone spend the time to read this? Well I can tell you for a fact that no one spent the time to "PROOF READ" it before it was submitted!!

I should be thrown out just because my 8th grade daughter does a better job of writing than this!

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    In response to ShooterSix above, I would agree. I would add that since this late and unlamented criminal's family probably does not have much money to begin with, hence the lawsuit in the first place, should the Defendant prevail, I should think steps should be taken to extract a like amount from the Defendant/Plaintiff attorney's pocket, both personally and professionally. That, I think, would send a clear message, not only to potential litigants but for their less than admirable lawyers.

Of course, "tort reform" is a verboten subject. I would agree especially in modern times, with Shakespeare.

Top Bottom