• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    By the church with the historical marker??? I got kin back up that road near little blue river....

First time I drove on that road I was with a bud from the Becks Mill area. I was driving, he was looking through my 8-tracks (no kiddin, that long ago) and then he says, "When you get to the tree in the road, turn right." No kiddin, there was a tree in the road!!

PM me your kin's name. I'm from the "south of East Fork White River" part of the county but I may know them.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Side note: Sorry to inform you that "the tree in the middle of the road" is no longer with us. It died and was removed years ago. Nothing but a dark patch of asphalt to mark it's passing.

That's really a good thing. A tree in the road ain't the safest thing.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    We've got a trail cam pic hanging in the local gun store just North of Salem of a mountain lion (NOT a bobcat) just off of Goat Hollow Road in Northern Washington Co. About 2 miles SSW of my property.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    this was from a trail cam 1/4 mile from my place.....:dunno:

dxAN349.png

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    We've got a trail cam pic hanging in the local gun store just North of Salem of a mountain lion (NOT a bobcat) just off of Goat Hollow Road in Northern Washington Co. About 2 miles SSW of my property.
    Goat Hollow Road. Not surprised that's in the country, was surprised how many Goat Hollow Roads there are out there. And for the city-folk, it's pronounced "holler". :laugh:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Goat Hollow Road. Not surprised that's in the country, was surprised how many Goat Hollow Roads there are out there. And for the city-folk, it's pronounced "holler". :laugh:

Well, goats have been known to holler... ;)

[video=youtube;nlYlNF30bVg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlYlNF30bVg[/video]

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

Yeah...they really should use phonetic spelling, kind of like Orange County did when they named Tater Rd. ;)

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I don't think I could ever live in the city anymore. Not picking on anyone but where else could you get directions like, "go to the tree in the middle of the road and hang a left..." or "watch for a bunch of bulls standing in a pond on the right..."

I worked in home health 17 years ago, it is an eye opener. A co-worker went to a home for a blood draw, the patient was on their couch. She bent over and felt something hit her, she turned around and it was a goat in the living room.

What can I say, cities are boring!

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I don't think I could ever live in the city anymore. Not picking on anyone but where else could you get directions like, "go to the tree in the middle of the road and hang a left..." or "watch for a bunch of bulls standing in a pond on the right..."

I worked in home health 17 years ago, it is an eye opener. A co-worker went to a home for a blood draw, the patient was on their couch. She bent over and felt something hit her, she turned around and it was a goat in the living room.

And don't forget now - "Go to where that tree use to be in the middle of the road and hang a left....."

I have had an old farmer tell me - "Turn left, where that old barn burned down last year........."
    You gotta love it.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    The description of the experts (earlier in the thread) gave me a pretty good chuckle.
    Liberty County TX has some black cats that can't exist according to the tax paid biologists.
    And yah know for some reason those cats still come around even if not appreciated.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    During the years of FDR's beneficent dictates* my grand parents were hunting coons and other critters at night for food and profit. Thirty years later I pretty much ran wild in the woods with PawPaw's single shot 16 but they expected me to bring home something to eat and so told me what was about. They told me about "painters" and their habits. And you know what, cats are cats. If you make it your business to know cats then that's to your benefit. There isn't another bunch of animals on this planet (not horses, not dogs) I can say that about. Well, except maybe the surprises like skunks and deer but their focus is so narrow.

*Back when the father of my favorite cousin shot a gubmint man in the leg to stop the destruction of the food they needed to live on. Same said father later fired 20mm's at Japanese aircraft and also soiled himself. It would seem that dive bombers are more intimidating than gubmint functionaries.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

We've got Possum Hollow road down in the Southern half of the county also!

When Hollow is preceded by a family name, go with caution.

I remember when they had to name all the roads when 911 service came to Washington County. Seems like churches, schools, rivers and creeks were used when possible. After that it was "the only guy who lives on that road-road". Then you have roads named after someone who died a long time ago. This is also how you gave directions in pre-GPS Washington County. Go out by the old so and so place, turn right when you get to the so and so corner. If you get to the river you went too far.

Goat Hollow and Possum Hollow were probably what the areas had been called for decades. When I saw Buffalo Bottoms Road on the map west of your area? That's what the area was called back in the day (Buffalo Creek bottom ground). Directions included: "go out through the Buffalo Bottoms..."

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon

Is that where old man Jameson got his plow stuck under a stump? Of course he blamed the mules...

Top Bottom