• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    The DNR should handle "social issues" too that pertain to hunting.. They have done so in the past, but IMO with mixed results. But NOBODY can screw something up worse than a legislator..

The DNR is dragging their feet with a bobcat season. Last communication I had with them is they are afraid of Humane Society uproar on hunting bobcat. They are letting social issues influence their management of a species. That is not their job. They need to manage an out of control species and not worry about the HS.

possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    The DNR is dragging their feet with a bobcat season. Last communication I had with them is they are afraid of Humane Society uproar on hunting bobcat. They are letting social issues influence their management of a species. That is not their job. They need to manage an out of control species and not worry about the HS.
    x2 on the bobcat season.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I think it will change back when the time is up because the DNR doesn't like someone else doing their job .

I don't think they want to be embarrassed by the legislature again fixing things they refuse to fix themselves. If it looks like it may go back, I can envision the legislature just making it permanent. At least I would hope so.

I'm sure the IN DNR performs a very valuable function. Just none that I have ever personally observed or heard about.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    The addition of the other calibers is nice. Hopefully we continue to have little to no incidents related to HPR and at the end of the 5 years, DNR relaxes and allows the use of HPR on public lands as well. I hunt private land only but it makes sense to me that HPR are allowed on public lands as well. Maybe they will increase the blaze orange requirements so that it is more than just a hat being the min requirement.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The DNR should handle "social issues" too that pertain to hunting.. They have done so in the past, but IMO with mixed results. But NOBODY can screw something up worse than a legislator..

I've posted this before but I really don't get the idea that having hunting weapon decisions made by a unelected DNR bureaucrats is preferable to having them made by elected officials that at least have to answer to the voting public every 4 years. It might have been different back when nearly everyone at DNR actually hunted but that is less and less the case all of the time.

X3 on the bobcats. It is way past time for a bobcat season to begin managing the population.

cedarthicket

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 3, 2012
    Yesterday HB 1415 passed the House by a vote of 81 to 7. The bill now moves over to the Senate. There it will likely be assigned to the Senate Natural Resources Committee for its consideration.

Last edited:

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The addition of the other calibers is nice. Hopefully we continue to have little to no incidents related to HPR and at the end of the 5 years, DNR relaxes and allows the use of HPR on public lands as well. I hunt private land only but it makes sense to me that HPR are allowed on public lands as well. Maybe they will increase the blaze orange requirements so that it is more than just a hat being the min requirement.

I don't completely disagree with you here. But, I am on the other side of the fence. I don't have access to private land so I only hunt public land. Now I primarily hunt small game (rabbits & squirrels). I think IF the allow HPR's on public land there are some things that need to change. I agree more orange is needed (and I always wear more than required) but that is just a start. I also think property size needs to come into play and location. I have hunted Wilbur Wright several times and I feel like it is far too small for HPR's. And too many homes butt up to the property. Now I have hunted some larger areas such as Atterbury, and Glendale FWA and I might be more comfortable with that. However, I wouldn't mind seeing different areas of property managed for different game. Maybe manage a swath for deer and a different area for small game hunters. Been hunting public land 30yrs and too often we all end up almost on top of each other. And been given ear fulls from big game hunters pissed because my dogs ran through and "ruined" their hunts. Now I take great care to select an area to get out of my truck where nobody is visible or already parked at. Just my .02

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I'd love to see 270/6.5's opened up! It'll be the perfect "reason" for a rifle I've been wanting!

Top Bottom