• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    I went to the Greenfield Gun Show and mentioned the possible revised cartridge rules to a guy I talk to at every Central Indiana Gun Show and he just shook his head. I took that to mean he didn't approve of HPR being used for deer hunting in Indiana.

I said that this year there were no deer rifle related shootings. He replied "Yeah, but there was a big transformer by my house shot about a half-dozen times with a high powered rifle". I asked what that had to do with deer hunting and he replied "It was during deer season". I just walked away...

Moral - there will be naysayers no matter what.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    I went to the Greenfield Gun Show and mentioned the possible revised cartridge rules to a guy I talk to at every Central Indiana Gun Show and he just shook his head. I took that to mean he didn't approve of HPR being used for deer hunting in Indiana.

I said that this year there were no deer rifle related shootings. He replied "Yeah, but there was a big transformer by my house shot about a half-dozen times with a high powered rifle". I asked what that had to do with deer hunting and he replied "It was during deer season". I just walked away...

Boredom and a case of beer has been the demise of many transformers.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?

megatron-transform.gif

Curse you, Megatron!!

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central

He clearly wanted to blame the HPR`s for anything and everything. Ridiculous!

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    Talking about a season for bobcats, PA started out only allowing trapping for bobcats for several years before opening it up to a rifle hunting season. I believe that they were being pushed to allow hunting them and after they started getting good numbers from the trappers over a couple of seasons, they realized that there were more bobcats than they had first thought. If we got to do the same, we may have the same results. Bobcats and hogs will both become a problem in a few more years if DNR does not take the hunting restrictions off both.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Talking about a season for bobcats, PA started out only allowing trapping for bobcats for several years before opening it up to a rifle hunting season. I believe that they were being pushed to allow hunting them and after they started getting good numbers from the trappers over a couple of seasons, they realized that there were more bobcats than they had first thought. If we got to do the same, we may have the same results. Bobcats and hogs will both become a problem in a few more years if DNR does not take the hunting restrictions off both.

There are no restrictions on hogs. Been hunting them for 21 years with whatever and whenever I want. USDA has been helicopter hunting them for the last two years around my house. Called in another bobcat Monday night. That makes #4 this year, there are a lot of those critters out there. Certain areas of the state have higher populations. Lawrence, Martin, Greene and Orange counties are full of them. They are curious beings, will sit and watch you call without a care in the world. I think the DNR would be shocked how many are reported if a season opens up.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson

Bobcats are already a problem in some areas and have been for several years. I would be willing to bet good money that the DNR would be shocked about the success of the first year or two of bobcat hunting/trapping seasons, that is assuming of course that they didn't put a ridiculously low quota on them.

There are no restrictions on hogs. Been hunting them for 21 years with whatever and whenever I want. USDA has been helicopter hunting them for the last two years around my house. Called in another bobcat Monday night. That makes #4 this year, there are a lot of those critters out there. Certain areas of the state have higher populations. Lawrence, Martin, Greene and Orange counties are full of them. They are curious beings, will sit and watch you call without a care in the world. I think the DNR would be shocked how many are reported if a season opens up.

Martin, Greene and Lawrence Counties seem to be the epicenter of the highest bobcat population but most of the surrounding counties have strong populations as well. I would have to go back through all of my trail cam photos and do a count to get an exact number, but 3 or 4 bobcats for every coyote photo I've gotten would likely be a conservative estimate.

yetti462

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 18, 2016
    Unglaciated heaven
    Martin, Greene and Lawrence Counties seem to be the epicenter of the highest bobcat population but most of the surrounding counties have strong populations as well. I would have to go back through all of my trail cam photos and do a count to get an exact number, but 3 or 4 bobcats for every coyote photo I've gotten would likely be a conservative estimate.

Saw another el gato Sunday night. My trigger finger is getting pissed off!!

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Nope..It passed the full house and now the Senate committee. It has to pass the full senate now.

I was surprised there were no amendments in the senate committee..

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Niki Kelly | The Journal Gazette

www.journalgazette.net/news/local/indiana/Bill-would-raise-some-state-DNR-fees-18245923

INDIANAPOLIS - Some fees imposed by the Indiana Department of Natural Resources could rise under a bill approved by a Senate panel Monday.

House Bill 1415 also clarifies new rules on what high-powered rifles can be used during deer hunting season.

It passed unanimously and now moves to the full Senate.

The bill reclassified more than a dozen commercial fees as "minimum fees" and gave the appointed Natural Resources Commission permission to raise them.

Sam Hyer, of the agency, said many other fees - including recreational hunting and fishing licenses - are already handled this way.

He said some of the fees in question haven't been raised since the 1960s.

For instance, the commercial fishing fee is now only $4 compared to $17 for recreational fishing.

Other fees that could be affected include fur buyer, bait dealer, fish stocking, ditch reconstruction and falconry.

"We're just trying to keep up with the cost of doing business," Hyer said.

Another section of the legislation tries to clarify the type of rifle that can be used in deer hunting.

Shelbyville Rep. Sean Eberhart said last year's bill had a list of rifle calibers that would be legal but the list was incomplete and confusing for many hunters.

House Bill 1415 says:

- the rifle must have a barrel length of at least 16 inches.

- the rifle must be chambered for a cartridge that is .243 of an inch in diameter or larger.

- the rifle must fire a cartridge that has a minimum case length of 1.16 inches.

The second section regarding cartridge size is the provision that has been simplified under the new legislation.

Barbara Simpson, of the Indiana Wildlife Federation, testified that she believes the law needs to have an upper limit on the rifles and caliber that can be used.

"I don't think it should be open-ended with anything goes," she said. "It's a public safety issue."

But Eberhart noted there weren't any injuries related to the new rifle rules during the most recent hunting season.

He also said there are no limits on what kind of caliber can be used on a nuisance animal - for instance a coyote or a squirrel.

Members of the Senate Natural Resources Committee also removed part of the bill that would have given discounted licenses to any veteran rated with any disability.

The fiscal impact would have been lost revenue for the Division of Fish and Wildlife of $318,000. It also would have cost the state about the same in federal dollars because when a state offers a free or heavily discounted license it affects their eligibility to receive matching funds.

The overall loss to the state under the provision would have been $635,000.

The language was placed in the bill by a Democrat on second reading in the House.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Barbara Simpson, of the Indiana Wildlife Federation, testified that she believes the law needs to have an upper limit on the rifles and caliber that can be used.

"I don't think it should be open-ended with anything goes," she said.
    "It's a public safety issue."

No, no it isn't.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Members of the Senate Natural Resources Committee also removed part of the bill that would have given discounted licenses to any veteran rated with any disability.

I guess we must be a danger to ourselves and others. I already get the 10yr small game and fish license, so why not just do the rest.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    The fiscal impact would have been lost revenue for the Division of Fish and Wildlife of $318,000. It also would have cost the state about the same in federal dollars because when a state offers a free or heavily discounted license it affects their eligibility to receive matching funds.

The overall loss to the state under the provision would have been $635,000.

The language was placed in the bill by a Democrat on second reading in the House.

I guess we must be a danger to ourselves and others. I already get the 10yr small game and fish license, so why not just do the rest.

My guess is the reason is what I quoted above.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN

Reading the whole article it says why. Not only would the state lose the revenue from the discounts, but by offering a discounted license it the eligibility for "some matching funds". I'm not entirely sure what matching funds are but they stated the overall financial impact in the article (over $500k). I don't think the reason has anything to do with being anti-veteran etc; the reasoning seems solid and valid to me.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Reading the whole article it says why. Not only would the state lose the revenue from the discounts, but by offering a discounted license it the eligibility for "some matching funds". I'm not entirely sure what matching funds are but they stated the overall financial impact in the article (over $500k). I don't think the reason has anything to do with being anti-veteran etc; the reasoning seems solid and valid to me.

There aren't enough disabled vets to make a difference. Plus out of all the disabled vets in Indiana how many do you see actually out there hunting.

Top Bottom