• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shalashaska

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2016
    Indiana
    Signed! With Republicans in control of all 3 branches of .gov, I think this might have a real chance of passing. This and nationwide CCW reciprocity would be amazing

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    November 17, 2016
    Dear Friend,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 2236, the Hearing Protection Act. Like you, I believe that this issue deserves thoughtful consideration.
    As you may know, the National Firearms Act (NFA, P.L. 73-474) specified which categories of firearms and related items are to be registered with the federal government, or prohibited under certain circumstances. Under the NFA, firearm suppressors, commonly referred to as silencers, are legal to possess if the suppressor is registered with the federal government and the owner pays a mandated transfer tax. In addition, suppressor owners must adhere to other NFA requirements such as maintaining proof of registry and filing required transport applications when changing addresses.
    On November 4, 2015, the Hearing Protection Act was introduced in the Senate. If enacted, this legislation would eliminate the mandated transfer tax for individuals who purchase a suppressor and the registration and reporting requirements mandated by the NFA. In addition, this bill would nullify any state or local law that requires a transfer tax for a suppressor or requires separate registration.
    The Hearing Protection Act is currently pending before the Senate Finance Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.
    sig_footer.png

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    November 17, 2016
    Dear Friend,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 2236, the Hearing Protection Act. Like you, I believe that this issue deserves thoughtful consideration.
    As you may know, the National Firearms Act (NFA, P.L. 73-474) specified which categories of firearms and related items are to be registered with the federal government, or prohibited under certain circumstances. Under the NFA, firearm suppressors, commonly referred to as silencers, are legal to possess if the suppressor is registered with the federal government and the owner pays a mandated transfer tax. In addition, suppressor owners must adhere to other NFA requirements such as maintaining proof of registry and filing required transport applications when changing addresses.
    On November 4, 2015, the Hearing Protection Act was introduced in the Senate. If enacted, this legislation would eliminate the mandated transfer tax for individuals who purchase a suppressor and the registration and reporting requirements mandated by the NFA. In addition, this bill would nullify any state or local law that requires a transfer tax for a suppressor or requires separate registration.
    The Hearing Protection Act is currently pending before the Senate Finance Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my website.
    sig_footer.png
    How disgustingly non-committal.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Take a couple minutes of your day to fill this out and let your representatives know you'd like to support the Hearing Protection Act! (H.R. 3799)

Support the Hearing Protection Act

I'm sure some of you have already taken the time to do this, but here's a quick link for those who haven't yet.

This bill last had activity about a year ago (11/23/15) and was directed to a subcommittee. I want to set suppressors free, but is this bill relevant any more? I think we might be getting ahead of ourselves and need a new bill introduced.

Slapstick

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Not a firearm, so I say OTC and mail order, baby!

My understanding is that it would remove suppressors from the NFA list, no ATF approval or tax stamp. They would still require a 4473 to be filled out, (a compromise to make it more palatable) but you could take home that day. It's been sitting in committee for awhile which actually is a good thing since it would have been vetoed by Obama. After Jan 20th is the time to bring it out of committee since it would have it's best chance of passing.

POB

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2016
    Jeffersonville
    Hoping prices will eventually go down if passed especially when there becomes more competition in pricing and the initial buying frenzy on them dies down a bit. No I won't be first in line.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield

Dear Friend,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 2236, the Hearing Protection Act.

<SNIP...>

I got the *exact* same return letter. Hmmmmmm... what are the odds??? :):

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    It says "I hear what you are saying and I don't care."

How can he possibly hear what I am saying with all of those gun blasts going off? We need suppressors!!! LOL! :laugh:

Yeah, I just love the form letter response to something like this. I get the form letter to say "we received your message", but to reply to an issue like this with a form letter was a but unsettling. I would have rather that they did not reply at all.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I know several people holding off on paperwork with the hope this will get some new life in January. It's ridiculous to charge a tax for something that's legal, just to track who has the legal mufflers.

Beowulf

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I know several people holding off on paperwork with the hope this will get some new life in January. It's ridiculous to charge a tax for something that's legal, just to track who has the legal mufflers.

Personally, I think that's kind of a mistake. First, legislation takes a long time to make it through and get signed. Second, there is a chance that it won't get passed at all. So, all they get by waiting is further delay, especially when the law as it stands gives a tax refund to those who put in their paperwork in the previous year.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Here's the auto-reply from Susan Brooks' office:

Dear Mr. Jenkins,

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 3799, the Hearing Protection Act. I appreciate the time you have taken to inform me of your thoughts on this issue.

As you may know, H.R. 3799 was introduced by Representative Matt Salmon from Arizona on October 22, 2015, and was referred to the House Committee on Ways and Means as well as the House Judiciary Committee. This legislation would reduce federal regulation on firearm silencers. Currently, the National Firearms Act regulates firearms suppressors, and the sale of a suppressor requires the customer to undergo a lengthy application process and to purchase a $200 tax stamp. These requirements are burdensome, outdated, and serve as obstacles to law-abiding citizens seeking to protect their hearing while exercising their 2nd Amendment rights. This legislation would remove suppressors from the regulations established under the National Firearms Act of 1934. Specifically, it would eliminate the requirement for buyers to submit an application to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) and pay a $200 tax on suppressor purchases, thereby treating them as ordinary firearms subject to the usual National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) checks.

I am a proud supporter of the right to bear arms and will work tirelessly to protect the Second Amendment while in office. As Congress continues, I will continue working to ensure that law-abiding Americans have the right to possess firearms for lawful purposes, including hunting, self-defense, collecting, and competitive or recreational shooting. With this legislation, Hoosiers will be better able to protect their hearing as they lawfully engage in hunting and shooting. Should this legislation be reintroduced in the 115th Congress, please be assured that I will consider it with your thoughts in mind.

Thank you again for contacting me. Your thoughts and opinions are of critical importance to me as I work to represent Indiana’s 5th District in Congress. I sincerely appreciate your comments and look forward to hearing from you in the future.

Sincerely,
    SB_Blue.jpg

Susan W. Brooks
    Member of Congress

PS. Please visit my website, SusanWBrooks.house.gov, to sign up for my e-newsletter to stay informed of my work in Washington and Indiana. You can also follow me on Facebook at www.facebook.com/CongresswomanSusanWBrooks or Twitter @SusanWBrooks.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    It isn't surprising the Andre Carson's response included a lot of misinformation and double-talk. Since he has generously requested that I contact him again on issues that concern me, I will be taking full advantage to firmly, but politely inform him how he is harming 10s of millions of Americans with his refusal to support this legislation.

Dear Mr. Phase2:

Thank you for contacting my office to express your thoughts on suppressors and silencers for guns. The opinions and concerns of my fellow Hoosiers are essential to my decision making process as a Member of Congress.

As your representative, I have always supported the right to bear arms as outlined by the Second Amendment to the Constitution. However, while maintaining this right, we also have responsibility to keep ourselves and our communities safe. Silencers and suppressors may be appropriate in combat zones, but are not practical in our towns and cities. While most users would abide by our laws, as they do in the use of firearms, we must be aware that suppressors and silencers make it easier for perpetrators of violent crimes to do so undetected. As your representative I will continue to support the rights of Hoosiers while also advocating for smart, responsible solutions to protect our communities from gun violence.

I appreciate hearing your thoughts on this important issue and I hope you will continue to contact my office on future issues. I encourage you to visit my website at http://carson.house.gov where you can view the latest news and updates about pertinent issues and legislation important to you or follow me on Twitter @RepAndreCarson. You may also sign up for my weekly e-newsletter The Carson Courier to receive periodic updates on my activities in Indianapolis and in Washington, D.C. As always my staff and I are here to serve you. Please feel free to contact me if we ever can be of further assistance to you.

Sincerely,
    Andre Carson
    Member of Congress

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Andre Carson, what a piece of **** response from a piece of **** Representative. Typical Democrat bull**** thinking. Keep electing Democrats and this is what we get.

Anyone care to come in and support this garbage???

gamecrimez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Lafayette
    Take a couple minutes of your day to fill this out and let your representatives know you'd like to support the Hearing Protection Act! (H.R. 3799)

Support the Hearing Protection Act

I'm sure some of you have already taken the time to do this, but here's a quick link for those who haven't yet.

Thanks for the link. I'm on board, I filled out & sent it. I also had my girlfriend as well as a lot of my family members & friends do it as well. I sent my friends an email with the link. I encourage all of you do the same. The more that do it, the more it shows we want it to happen.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom