• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    like we all got on board with trump to defeat the most corrupt politician in history? HA! But yeah i'm on board with this. Suppressors should be treated as an accessory though, but at least they are going in the right direction.

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    Here's the auto-response I got from Joe Donnelly:

January 27, 2017

Dear Friend,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 59, the Hearing Protection Act. Like you, I believe that this issue deserves thoughtful consideration.

As you may know, the National Firearms Act (NFA, P.L. 73-474) specified which categories of firearms and related items are to be registered with the federal government or prohibited under certain circumstances. Under the NFA, firearm suppressors, commonly referred to as silencers, are legal to possess if the suppressor is registered with the federal government and the owner pays a mandated transfer tax. In addition, suppressor owners must adhere to other NFA requirements such as maintaining proof of registry and filing required transport applications when changing addresses.

On January 9, 2017, the Hearing Protection Act was introduced in the Senate. If enacted, this legislation would eliminate the mandated transfer tax for individuals who purchase a suppressor and the registration and reporting requirements mandated by the NFA. In addition, this bill would nullify any state or local law that requires a transfer tax for a suppressor or requires separate registration.

The Hearing Protection Act is currently pending before the Senate Finance Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, or visit my website.

sig_footer.png

j4jenk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 27, 2012
    Madison County
    I couldn't reply directly to the email that I received, so I sent the following reply via his website:

Subject: Follow-up to your Hearing Protection Act email response

Thank you for replying, but what I received was a history/status of the bill. What I wanted was to know whether you support the bill or not.

My sincere is hope is that you will look into who actually uses suppressors and how they are used in order to see that there is no reason for them to be regulated in the same way as full-auto machine guns and hand grenades. The truth is that almost no crimes are committed with suppressors, even though they are very easy to fabricate. The current regulation only affects law abiding gun owners who wish to use them to make target shooting more enjoyable or to allow them to hunt without damaging their hearing.

If for no other reason, I urge you to support this bill in order to relieve the BATFE of this burden so that they can focus on keeping truly dangerous items out of the hands of criminal gangs and terrorist. Their time is not well spent processing my paperwork, fingerprints, background check, ect.... so I can drop the sound of my .22 from 150db to 120db when I shoot with my daughter.

If you have not done so already, please take time to shoot both a handgun and rifle with and without a suppressor so that you can see for yourself what is being regulated before you make your decision. If you need help gaining access to a range and the proper equipment, let me know and I will arrange a time with one of the local Indiana certified instructors.

Regards,

Josh

gamecrimez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Lafayette
    Here's the auto-response I got from Joe Donnelly:

January 27, 2017

Dear Friend,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me about S. 59, the Hearing Protection Act. Like you, I believe that this issue deserves thoughtful consideration.
    As you may know, the National Firearms Act (NFA, P.L. 73-474) specified which categories of firearms and related items are to be registered with the federal government or prohibited under certain circumstances. Under the NFA, firearm suppressors, commonly referred to as silencers, are legal to possess if the suppressor is registered with the federal government and the owner pays a mandated transfer tax. In addition, suppressor owners must adhere to other NFA requirements such as maintaining proof of registry and filing required transport applications when changing addresses.

On January 9, 2017, the Hearing Protection Act was introduced in the Senate. If enacted, this legislation would eliminate the mandated transfer tax for individuals who purchase a suppressor and the registration and reporting requirements mandated by the NFA. In addition, this bill would nullify any state or local law that requires a transfer tax for a suppressor or requires separate registration.

The Hearing Protection Act is currently pending before the Senate Finance Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page, follow me on Twitter, or visit my website.

sig_footer.png

I received that same exact response today. I wish he would of said: The Hearing Protection Act is currently pending before the Senate Finance Committee. Should this legislation come to the floor of the Senate for a vote, I will vote in favor of it.

gamecrimez

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 23, 2016
    Lafayette
    Hey, hey, he said he would, "keep you thoughts in mind." What more do you want?
    I would like a definite answer as well. Being as he is keeping our thoughts in mind makes me believe he doesn't support it. Like j4jenk said he needs to see what its like with & without one & maybe his crazy thoughts that it will make the gun silent like in the Hollywood movies is false, than he would understand why we as gun owners would like them & have easy access to a firearm accessory & not waste BATF time & resources to file & process the paperwork involved. If so then maybe the time frame for the other NFA items would drop & we wouldn't have to wait as long for the other items (that most should also be removed). Well that's my :twocents: at least.

Last edited:

Crocodator

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 6, 2012
    Hancock County
    I got the same form response, of course. I really wish we could get beyond the party-line voting that I think we all expect on these issues. Just because gun owners want it doesn't NECESSARILY mean that all democrats should oppose it.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Same response from NY Joe D here. I expect him to vote as his D masters tell him to, he has no interest in representing US. :xmad:

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    (Read from bottom to top)

Senator Gillibrand spreading some fear-mongering lies about suppressors.

Ignoring the fact that the sound is brought down to ~120-130db... which is nowhere near silent.

TiTvbc7.png

DNS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2013
    Northern IN
    At one time she was pro-gun. Then she became a politician. I can remember when she was running Schumer called her the poster girl for the NRA.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009

Ignoring the fact that the sound is brought down to ~120-130db... which is nowhere near silent.

TiTvbc7.png

At one time she was pro-gun. Then she became a politician. I can remember when she was running Schumer called her the poster girl for the NRA.

Wikipedia quote "Although a supporter of gun rights while in the House, Gillibrand has since moved in the direction of gun control."[SUP][/SUP]
    I think Wikipedia is wrong, the wording should be "since receiving national democratic funds, she has fallen in line with democratic lines"

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

TiTvbc7.png

How about pointing out to some of these people that anti-gun European countries make it easy to get the suppressor.
    Or mention that criminals drive cars.. shouldn't we make mufflers illegal.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

TiTvbc7.png
    Uninformed and unhinged...Check.

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    A South Carolina Congressman has taken the high-road and politely invited Senator Gillibrand to a gun range to see what a suppressor does.

Here?s why a South Carolina congressman invited Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand to a gun range ? TheBlaze

in the article da godfather I mean mayor of new York "bill deblahdablah" said that they use shot spotter

"Like Gillibrand, New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio (D) noted the ShotSpotter technology implemented by the NYPD to help law enforcement officials respond to shootings in the city quicker as a reason for his opposition to the legislation"

Wikipedia says https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunfire_locator

"Because both the optical flash and muzzle blast are muffled by flash suppressors and muzzle blast suppressors (also known as “silencers”), the efficacy of gunshot detection systems may be reduced for suppressed weapons. The FBI estimates that 1% or fewer of crimes that involve gunfire are committed with silenced guns."

when the city of Evansville was looking at this, I asked an epd officer who was researching this same thing (shot spotter) "do you think that this will cause a increase in home made suppressors used in crime" his reply was, we find them all the time, and shot spotter will still detect the gunshots even with a suppressor!

so once again the "well educated line of gun hating new your mayors" opens it's mouth on things they don't know about!

Top Bottom