Let's Organize "ILOCD": (Indiana Legal Open Carry Day)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Mainly the other events were mentioned as resources for you, and at least from my point of view, it was just common courtesy to reach out to them, know what I mean?

Kinda like if two different Tea party groups in Indy tried to do things seperately, instead of together. Not only is it the right thing to do, to reach out to them, but you also increase your resources, and possible attendance.

See what I mean? :)

So, go for it!

Exactly. Study my threads from the past events and the 2A March. Take notes, formulate a plan. By all means, do things your own way but I recommend not contacting the city or the PD about it before hand. Otherwise, have at it. I'm just glad to see someone step up with some initiative! :D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    While I love the significance of a January 9 walk date, I'd love even more to be able to do one with my kids. Temps could too easily preclude them during that time.

It's a selfish reason, true. I'll come regardless if nothing else more pressing (and darn little would be), but I like the idea of a mom and her kids participating.

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    I just read through quickly and didn't see how this proposal went from "Open Carry Day" to an "event" or "walk." I'd say if we want to set a date and all go about our usual business OC'ing that would do more to normalize it than anything else. Some of the other stuff does seem to be antagonistic and counterproductive to the supposed cause.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I just read through quickly and didn't see how this proposal went from "Open Carry Day" to an "event" or "walk." I'd say if we want to set a date and all go about our usual business OC'ing that would do more to normalize it than anything else.

That's what I asked in post #44. Seems that would be bigger than a baby step. For me, every day is Open Carry Day. ;)

Some of the other stuff does seem to be antagonistic and counterproductive to the supposed cause.

I don't think events or walks are bad at all, it's just easier for 99% of the state to ignore or remain unaware of them.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    That's what I asked in post #44. Seems that would be bigger than a baby step. For me, every day is Open Carry Day. ;)

I don't think events or walks are bad at all, it's just easier for 99% of the state to ignore or remain unaware of them.

I, too, have no problem with an Open Carry Day. I OC everyday all day (ok, most everyday all day) so it's not like a huge thing for me. :):

As for the single isolated events... I'm just prodding hoping someone starts those up again. Not that I have anything against a day where everyone across the Country or just the state OC's. I just don't think many people who normally CC will want to OC for a day. Some people are too paranoid for that. ;)

down3green

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 19, 2010
    Brown County
    I just don't think many people who normally CC will want to OC for a day. Some people are too paranoid for that.

I think it becomes a circular discussion then: we want/need/expect OC to be accepted by the general population, but we don't want to do it, so they still don't accept it, so we don't do it? I guess I missed the whole point of the idea . . .

:dunno:

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008

I think it becomes a circular discussion then: we want/need/expect OC to be accepted by the general population, but we don't want to do it, so they still don't accept it, so we don't do it? I guess I missed the whole point of the idea . . .

:dunno:

Oh I would love to be wrong. I would love to see EVERYONE come out and OC for just one day. I just don't think it'll happen. However, you still could get a good turn out if you keep it up each year.

Of course, I could have missed the point of the idea as well. :dunno: I am under the influence of drugs at the moment so.... :):

(Tussin, not the bad kind.)

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    I just re-read much of this, and there's certainly a point to be made for just all coordonating to OC on certain, more frequently-occurring days :D More and more of us, until the uninformed are, well, informed.

Since this is about public awareness/"normalization" of OC, how about keeping it simple with a shirt saying "YES, IT'S LEGAL" in bold print, and below that "The good guys don't have to hide 'em!" (or some similar friendly conversation starter--suggestions?) below in smaller print? Add arrow pointing to gun?

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I just re-read much of this, and there's certainly a point to be made for just all coordonating to OC on certain, more frequently-occurring days :D More and more of us, until the uninformed are, well, informed.

Since this is about public awareness/"normalization" of OC, how about keeping it simple with a shirt saying "YES, IT'S LEGAL" in bold print, and below that "The good guys don't have to hide 'em!" (or some similar friendly conversation starter--suggestions?) below in smaller print. Add arrow pointing to gun?

I will buy THAT shirt and wear it with pride. :patriot:

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I like "Yes, It's Legal!"
    Should there be a picture of a handgun in a holster or maybe it should state in smaller letters additional info like "with a valid Indiana License To Carry Handgun"?

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    Get a date set and I'll be there with both of my boys carrying and maybe my daughter (Being 13 she may have other plans). Granted the boys only being 4 and 6 will only have airsofts on their hip but it's getting the point across that counts.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Get a date set and I'll be there with both of my boys carrying and maybe my daughter (Being 13 she may have other plans). Granted the boys only being 4 and 6 will only have airsofts on their hip but it's getting the point across that counts.

What point are you trying to get across by having your children wear toy guns? Open Carry should be legal for children?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

They could legally carry rifles or shotguns if you like.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    If my daughter comes along she will be carrying one of my rifles. Just afraid the rifles may get two heavy for the boys and they'll start to drag them on the ground.

During the first walk, one guy pulled his two children in a red wagon, as the walk may become tiresome for your little ones. They could hold onto the rifles in the wagon :D

Top Bottom