Let's Organize "ILOCD": (Indiana Legal Open Carry Day)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    They could legally carry rifles or shotguns if you like.

Are you sure on that? From my reading of IN code it's a no no.Unless you call the walk a "firearm safety course" Which might not be to far from the truth. It is for the safety of OCers to inform the public it's legal so they don't get mwag calls on them. :):

IC 35-47-10-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A child who is attending a hunters safety course or a firearms safety course or an adult who is supervising the child during the course.
    (2) A child engaging in practice in using a firearm for target shooting at an established range or in an area where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited or supervised by:
    (A) a qualified firearms instructor; or
    (B) an adult who is supervising the child while the child is at the range.
    (3) A child engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a firearm or participating in or practicing for a performance by an organized group under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code that uses firearms as a part of a performance or an adult who is involved in the competition or performance.
    (4) A child who is hunting or trapping under a valid license issued to the child under IC 14-22.
    (5) A child who is traveling with an unloaded firearm to or from an activity described in this section.
    (6) A child who:
    (A) is on real property that is under the control of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian; and
    (B) has permission from the child's parent or legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    (7) A child who:
    (A) is at the child's residence; and
    (B) has the permission of the child's parent, an adult family member of the child, or the child's legal guardian to possess a firearm.
    IC 35-47-10-5
    Dangerous possession of a firearm
    Sec. 5. A child who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly:
    (1) possesses a firearm for any purpose other than a purpose described in section 1 of this chapter; or
    (2) provides a firearm to another child with or without remuneration for any purpose other than a purpose described in section 1 of this chapter;
    commits dangerous possession of a firearm, a Class A misdemeanor. However, the offense is a Class C felony if the child has a prior conviction under this section.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.203-1996, SEC.4.
    IC 35-47-10-6
    Dangerous control of a firearm
    Sec. 6. An adult who knowingly, intentionally, or recklessly provides a firearm to a child for any purpose other than those described in section 1 of this chapter, with or without remuneration, commits dangerous control of a firearm, a Class C felony. However, the offense is a Class B felony if the adult has a prior conviction under this section.
    As added by P.L.140-1994, SEC.12. Amended by P.L.203-1996, SEC.5.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Are you sure on that? From my reading of IN code it's a no no.Unless you call the walk a "firearm safety course" Which might not be to far from the truth. It is for the safety of OCers to inform the public it's legal so they don't get mwag calls on them. :):

#6 Seems to fit in this case. Real property under control of the parent would seem to me to be where the parent is. I would also think that if the child's gun is unloaded, there's not much they could do. :dunno: Unless I"m reading that wrong.

At the last event, we had a boy and a girl both carrying a yellow and pink accented AR. The police didn't say a word about it the entire time.

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    I like where this thread is going, I can't walk with you guys, bad leg wouldn't make it very far, but I can provide a support vehicle to carry drinks, etc.

How about we try to do this every six weeks or so next year and have a huge gun rights rally say sometime in Febuary 2012:dunno:

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    #6 Seems to fit in this case. Real property under control of the parent would seem to me to be where the parent is. I would also think that if the child's gun is unloaded, there's not much they could do. :dunno: Unless I"m reading that wrong.

At the last event, we had a boy and a girl both carrying a yellow and pink accented AR. The police didn't say a word about it the entire time.

The sidewalk is real property but it is under the control of the city/town not the parent. And the only place that section of code differentiates between loaded and unloaded is if the child is traveling with the firearm to or from one of the activities exempted in the code.

And maybe the police thought that the yellow and pink ARs were airsoft, or they used officer discretion. Or maybe they didn't know that section of code. :dunno: Just because they were not prosecuted that time does not make it legal.

ETA If you make where the walk ends a safety course then it probably would be legal under #6 . And how hard is it to teach the 4 rules?

Last edited:

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Kids carrying guns around probably wouldn't do much to advance our message to the irrational, ininformed people who need to hear it the most. I think it's a matter of common sense, rather than parsing the law.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    ETA If you make where the walk ends a safety course then it probably would be legal under #6 . And how hard is it to teach the 4 rules?

Good points. I'm sure there's some people qualified to count as a safety instructor so that could be arranged. Or we could just say it's part of the class. :D

Kids carrying guns around probably wouldn't do much to advance our message to the irrational, ininformed people who need to hear it the most. I think it's a matter of common sense, rather than parsing the law.

:dunno: Last I knew, they had kid's shooting sports as well. Are we not fighting for their rights, too? Since when did age become an issue with firearms?

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    :dunno: Last I knew, they had kid's shooting sports as well. Are we not fighting for their rights, too? Since when did age become an issue with firearms?

Point well taken, and we all know many (most) of us introduce our kids to firearms at an early age, instilling safety and responsibility from the start. That's all good! I just had a gut reaction that some media jerks would come along and ruin our message by sensationalizing "kids with guns". If it's all worked out well in the past, that's cool :D

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Point well taken, and we all know many (most) of us introduce our kids to firearms at an early age, instilling safety and responsibility from the start. That's all good! I just had a gut reaction that some media jerks would come along and ruin our message by sensationalizing "kids with guns". If it's all worked out well in the past, that's cool :D

Personally I wouldn't worry about media coverage. They're too skeered of us to show up!

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    That last walk with the 2 kids with ARs went well as SE said, no issues. I never knew of that part of the law.

I think the issue is with what is the legal defintion of "control". It didn't say own, but control.

In some circles of talk, a person should be able to control the area around them within 500 yards, and the word "control" is generally used. So if by control it's influnce/had direct control then I think it's good. A property owner doesn't control property when away, whomever is there is in control. Definately worth looking into.

Oh, and set a date and schedule willing, I'll be there.

singlesix

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, In
    Why don't we turn this into a full blown Gun Pride Day Parade? Maybe we can even march down Mass. Ave like some other groups. Have costumes and even have our dogs and cat wearing AKs and M-4s.

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Why don't we turn this into a full blown Gun Pride Day Parade? Maybe we can even march down Mass. Ave like some other groups. Have costumes and even have our dogs and cat wearing AKs and M-4s.

There is a thread about the Zombie walk, and some folks talking about doing an OC Zombie Response Team there on the 23rd during the walk. I've got plans in the day, but may have to venture into the void of BS that is Broadripple to check it out.

Not the costumes you had in mind I know, but still. It is another possible walk and one coming up soon.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    Coming Out...

I am the OP's twin brother and I have been lurking on this thread since its creation. I would certainly participate in any INGO open-carry event if my schedule permits and I would be willing to lend my time and talents (whatever they may be; still looking...) for the cause.

BTW the "good guys don't have to hide their guns" theme was hatched with the OP over a few beers at the local watering hole. Sometimes takes the proper lubricant, you know...
    :cheers:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I, too, have no problem with an Open Carry Day. I OC everyday all day (ok, most everyday all day) so it's not like a huge thing for me. :):

As for the single isolated events... I'm just prodding hoping someone starts those up again. Not that I have anything against a day where everyone across the Country or just the state OC's. I just don't think many people who normally CC will want to OC for a day. Some people are too paranoid for that. ;)

My own personal feeling is that a walk/event is going to get more attention/focus than a generalized OC Day. OC Day would work if it got plenty of talking up prior to. I think the incidence of OCing would be too random (from the perception of the average public) for any one to consider it a "special event." Whereas the walk is clearly out of the ordinary. However, the OC Day could theoretical have higher participation levels since there's no special effort needed to meet an appointment time and locale demand.

I just re-read much of this, and there's certainly a point to be made for just all coordonating to OC on certain, more frequently-occurring days :D More and more of us, until the uninformed are, well, informed.

Since this is about public awareness/"normalization" of OC, how about keeping it simple with a shirt saying "YES, IT'S LEGAL" in bold print, and below that "The good guys don't have to hide 'em!" (or some similar friendly conversation starter--suggestions?) below in smaller print? Add arrow pointing to gun?

I like the idea of the "YES, IT'S LEGAL" on the front and the "good guys" text on the back with no arrow at all. Simplicity is it's own underscore. But that is about as good a text as one can devise. :yesway:

What point are you trying to get across by having your children wear toy guns? Open Carry should be legal for children?

I'd prefer the option to let them carry real ones (assuming they actually are mature and responsible enough). I don't hold much with the idea that the government knows better than me when my children are mature and responsible enough to carry them.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Front: YES, IT'S LEGAL...
    Back: GOOD GUYS DON'T HIDE GUNS.

If we seem pretty good with this, I'll work on something for us on cafepress. Not looking to make a dime on this, btw...

More on the organizational aspects of this later...

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Front: YES, IT'S LEGAL...
    Back: GOOD GUYS DON'T HIDE GUNS.

If we seem pretty good with this, I'll work on something for us on cafepress. Not looking to make a dime on this, btw...

More on the organizational aspects of this later...

GOOD GUYS DON'T HAVE TO HIDE THEIR GUNS is better and more accurate.

Some good guys choose to hide their guns and there shouldn't be even a hint toward that being considered a bad thing.

:twocents:

Sgt Rock

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Avon, IN
    I would opt for just "Open carry day" If it wasn't "legal" we wouldn't do it. I LIKE "YES, IT'S LEGAL" on the shirts. I'd take a day off and buy the tee shirt for this, but if you plan on tee shirts, lets plan this for when we KNOW the weather will be warm.

Last edited:

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg

They media is more than welcome to interview my 4 year old. I already know his response. "Guns are for shooting BAD GUYS, you don't shoot good guys. You don't touch daddy's guns!" It's the same thing he tell everyone he's ever talked to in any gun shop I've taken him in.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    GOOD GUYS DON'T HAVE TO HIDE THEIR GUNS is better and more accurate.

Some good guys choose to hide their guns and there shouldn't be even a hint toward that being considered a bad thing.

:twocents:

Yeah, I thought about it from that angle, was just trying for fewer words/more impact... So much has run through my head. Another:

GOOD GUYS WITH GUNS... NOTHING TO HIDE.

If it goes down in cool/cold weather, is there something like a safety vest that could be worn over warner clothing?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom