Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Put an IFAK together for each vehicle, my hunting pack, and my plate carrier a few months ago. The 2 for the vehicles are tailored to serve the needs of the entire family (myself, wife, +3 daughters) including some "boo-boo" fixers. The 2 for carrier and hunting pack are filled with less trivial things, and filled with more severe trauma items.

ALL kits include TQ, shears, gloves, gauze, israeli bandage, lightstick, etc. for starters. I also carry an elastic type TQ (R.A.T.) in my pocket at work that's less bulky...
    fa79bb25f76ae0de5aa87b40a727b7f6.jpg
    66546b113909bfe5e48467e920074aba.jpg

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

:yesway:

When people find out I have trauma kits, they ask "Why? Do you expect trouble?"

No.
    But neither did the people that met with trouble.
    Better to be prepared.

A Nurse Practitioner asked me "why".
    I looked at her... "You're a trained professional. Why DON'T YOU?"

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    :yesway:

When people find out I have trauma kits, they ask "Why? Do you expect trouble?"

No.
    But neither did the people that met with trouble.
    Better to be prepared.

A Nurse Practitioner asked me "why".
    I looked at her... "You're a trained professional. Why DON'T YOU?"
    For the same reason I carry a more pewful device for $500, Alex

I'm short a few suture kits really. But it's not a total necessity with what else is included.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I hope you are preparing a bug out kit and not going to suture me up on the side of the road.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven
    I hope you are preparing a bug out kit and not going to suture me up on the side of the road.
    Yes these are all emergency only items. I gave up roadside stitching when I lost my lemonade stand permit.

I have a suture kit in my B.O.B., but would like one in my hunting bag as well. A broadhead leaves one helluva gash.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    They make ten staple, staplers that are one time use throw away.

However I have learned that suturing without starting a regime of antibiotics can be life threatening.

Ruger_Ronin

Turkey Herder
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 22, 2017
    Outer Heaven

However I have learned that suturing without starting a regime of antibiotics can be life threatening.
    Interesting. I'll have to probe the medical supply catalog at work. Need input....no disassemble.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

There aren't many circumstances where do-it-yourself suturing or stapling is a good idea. If there is no way to get to professional medical care, I can see it, but it's really important to know what you're doing. You not only need to know now to properly close a wound, but also when you should and when you should not. You also have to leave an opening to allow for drainage. And that's just for superficial stuff that mostly skin. If you have a deep gash down into muscle tissue, it's a whole new ballgame. And if you have to pack it, you also need to be prepared to open it to remove or change the packing material when necessary.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    There aren't many circumstances where do-it-yourself suturing or stapling is a good idea. If there is no way to get to professional medical care, I can see it, but it's really important to know what you're doing. You not only need to know now to properly close a wound, but also when you should and when you should not. You also have to leave an opening to allow for drainage. And that's just for superficial stuff that mostly skin. If you have a deep gash down into muscle tissue, it's a whole new ballgame. And if you have to pack it, you also need to be prepared to open it to remove or change the packing material when necessary.

You are absolutely correct.

I only see this kind of action in a total break down of society situation. I am not prepared for that type of situation and believe that it will not happen while I am here. (Rapture)

In a situation with need for closing a wound butterflies is as far as I am prepared to go. I have some that are thin strips of strapping tape about 5 inches long. If it can not be closed with that, it should not be closed.

In the case of a more serious wound it should be packed and protected.

Anecdote: My great uncle had his calf blown to mush by a German fragmentation grenade in WWI. He was shipped home packed and protected. My dad as a teen removed the dressings, cleaned the wound and re-dressed it daily. Eventually the open wound healed and he was able to walk and work the rest of his life.

Anecdote 2: I had a Rhino (severely sliced my hand between thumb and forefinger). The doctor sutured it, but did not give me an antibiotic. I woke up a couple of days later sick as all get out and my hand was the size of a baseball. The doctor removed the sutures, started me on an antibiotic regime and allowed the wound to heal open. Over the next month, my body filled it in and it healed perfectly and is a thin line with suture marks. Amazing how God works.

Don't be Rambo.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Finaly some time for pics and organizing.
    I'm trying to get a somewhat modular system. Red bags are ifak. CAT tourniquet in 9mm mag pouch. The double 30 round m4 mag pouch sized kit is more daily boo boo setup.
    zqfhcKG.jpg

JuwSDEv.jpg

Opened red ifak:
    mIwL9uw.jpg

ahFgcoI.jpg

Inside m4 pouch:
    Dds7xKw.jpg

LQIWNBt.jpg

M4 pouch:
    Bandaid bag with moleskin
    Ouch bag with sting/bite cream, burn gel, iodine pads, alcohol prep pads, triple antibiotic gel, moist towelettes.
    Ibuprofen
    Compressed "s" gauze.
    Roll of tape.
    Red ifak:
    6ish 2x3 non stick pads, Oales, vaseline gauze, 2 compressed "s" gauze, trauma sheers, prep pack bag with alcohol, iodine and trip antibiotic pads, 1 roll tape.
    Attached outside ifak: cat tourniquet.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Doc... I would consider either replacing or supplementing the tape with Gorilla Tape. Regular tape like that might not stick when you need it to stick.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Btw, i found great deals on basic bandaids and athletic tape at Ollie's in carmel (discount, overstock store so inventory is random). Tractor supply has ankle wrap on sale also but is regularly much less expensive than regular stores. It's actually marketed for horses so it's a nice sized roll!
    QhknVAy.jpg

2WfFt7X.jpg

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Doc... I would consider either replacing or supplementing the tape with Gorilla Tape. Regular tape like that might not stick when you need it to stick.

I agree, thats on my list of upgrades for both better tape and butterflies. I also need a pen light, nasal airway...
    That tape is pretty much for holding various gauze and dressings for boo boo's, sprain, strains... I have low hopes of it working for securing a chest seal.
    How do you pack gorilla tape more efficiently?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    In the past I have put together a "day pack" for hiking/hunting/etc. and have used rolls of duct tape that were nearing the end. They can be squished/flattened out a bit and stored much more easily. Same for TP rolls.

I've done that before and it's a great trick. I'm trying to setup several identical kits though and don't have several depleted roles. Anyone ever have any luck re- rolling tape to effectively create smaller rolls?

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Most of the duct/gorilla tape is re packaged in a flat wrap about 6 inches long. You could do this yourself or check this out. https://www.rescue-essentials.com/reditape-pocket-size-duct-tape-black/

let me know how it turns out. wondering if the ends will be all frayed and sticky. Might gum up the blade a bit....

Yeah, I've seen the strips before and I can now confirm it is worth every penny to go that route.
    ckayuYH.jpg

cCCpRcw.jpg

Or at least don't cut the roll but rather just cut lengths and stack them on each other. Cutting the roll wasn't easy but not prohibitive. The problem is that it smudges all the ends together making it VERY difficult to start each layer. I am trying to pre-start each layer in the pic above because doing it "in the field" would be impossible. Fun test. Results: unfavorable.

Top Bottom