Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have both CATs and SOF Ts and Feel that about the SOF Ts are superior in design and ease of use. I am going to get a SWAT T to see how it works, it looks like it is a big rubber band. It may be good for an arm wound but i am not sure if it would work on a leg.

Someone with more experience is welcome to make corrections.

It's just like a large bike inner tube that has been cut open.
    It works fine on either a leg or an arm.It gets really tight.
    It can be a bit tricky to apply one handed on your own arm though but it can be done with enough practice.
    The CAT is probably better and faster for a one handed self applied application.

watch

[video=youtube;hUuo5926mcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUuo5926mcI[/video]

You can use it as an arm sling or even just to old an ice pack in place as well.
    Many uses for such a compact product.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    It's just like a large bike inner tube that has been cut open.
    It works fine on either a leg or an arm.It gets really tight.
    It can be a bit tricky to apply one handed on your own arm though but it can be done with enough practice.
    The CAT is probably better and faster for a one handed self applied application.

watch

[video=youtube;hUuo5926mcI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUuo5926mcI[/video]

You can use it as an arm sling or even just to old an ice pack in place as well.
    Many uses for such a compact product.

I have 3 SWAT T's, might make a decent pressure bandage at best.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Hoping CAVMEDIC will post here as that dude is legit, pretty sure his carry is a TK4 only, that dude has seen it all and that should say a lot.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hell I am a EMT, I was referring to someone that has seen real deal mass cas, a couple hard tours followed by the rough streets of Indy is a huge difference then a rural area or part time/volunteer.

You can see some horrific stuff in rural areas.Like hunting accidents (leg blown off by 00 buckshot), chainsaw accidents, car crashing at high speed into big heavy farming equipement or what have you.

EPeter213

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2016
    Floyd/Harrison
    Training and Mindset will serve well even if you don't have a trauma kit. It certainly helps to have the right equipment available, but knowing how to improvise equipment from common materials means you will never be caught without it.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I admit, much more than just basic first aid is a serious weakness for me. I have had basic firat aid training and have had cpr training (both cert's have expired), but will be looking for some training in this area very soon. I am becoming more of a believer that if you are going to carry a gun everyday, you should also carry some life saving items and skills to use them. The life you save might be your own

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    A couple of years ago there were a lot of counterfiet CATs on the market. The tensoin bars were brittle.

Some one on here bought one and either Amazon or E Bay made it good.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A couple of years ago there were a lot of counterfiet CATs on the market. The tensoin bars were brittle.

Some one on here bought one and either Amazon or E Bay made it good.

It's still the case.You can get one for $5 on Ebay.
    At this price you know it's fake (plus it ships from China) but some people buy them not knowing they are fake.
    Some sellers even tell you they are genuine NAR CATs and use pictures of real CATs but they will ship you a fake.
    Some buy them knowing they are fake and sell them as real CATs, with a much higher price.

I've seen fake RATS tourniquet on ebay as well.

$_58.JPG

Under $2, shipping included!

Several companies have copied the CAT design to make their own version.
    Recon Medical makes one, it's supposed to be an improved version of the CAT.
    US made with a metal windlass and kevlar threads.

51sxluNF9GL.jpg

Not sure if they are worth it? :dunno:
    They are supposed to be cheaper than the CAT.

Sam Medical also makes their own very CAT-like tourniquet.I think it came out this year.

hero-black.png

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    It's still the case.You can get one for $5 on Ebay.
    At this price you know it's fake (plus it ships from China) but some people buy them not knowing they are fake.
    Some sellers even tell you they are genuine NAR CATs and use pictures of real CATs but they will ship you a fake.
    Some buy them knowing they are fake and sell them as real CATs, with a much higher price.

I've seen fake RATS tourniquet on ebay as well.

$_58.JPG

Under $2, shipping included!

Several companies have copied the CAT design to make their own version.
    Recon Medical makes one, it's supposed to be an improved version of the CAT.
    US made with a metal windlass and kevlar threads.

51sxluNF9GL.jpg

Not sure if they are worth it? :dunno:
    They are supposed to be cheaper than the CAT.

Sam Medical also makes their own very CAT-like tourniquet.I think it came out this year.

hero-black.png
    Anyone who buys life saving equipment on Amazon or EBay deserves what they get. Their are PLENTY of legit sources for real CATs, trying to save a buck on life saving equipment is the absolute dumbest thing I’ve heard, (except for anything Hillary has ever said).

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    If anyone is really interested in “the oh ***** moment” trauma care, you should consider attending a TECC or TCCC class...

Since we are talking MCI, familiarizing yourself with START triage criteria can help benefit the largest number of people.[/QUOTE

There’s a LEFR TCCC class in Lafayette on February the 4th. Being very close to home, this would be ideal class for me to take. I had to look up what the LEFR acronym meant (law enforcement/ first responder for those who don’t know either), so is this class only for those who are LE and FR and not for the civilian market? If so, which is what I’m assuming, that sucks. Any one know details about this class?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    If anyone is really interested in “the oh ***** moment” trauma care, you should consider attending a TECC or TCCC class...

Since we are talking MCI, familiarizing yourself with START triage criteria can help benefit the largest number of people.[/QUOTE

There’s a LEFR TCCC class in Lafayette on February the 4th. Being very close to home, this would be ideal class for me to take. I had to look up what the LEFR acronym meant (law enforcement/ first responder for those who don’t know either), so is this class only for those who are LE and FR and not for the civilian market? If so, which is what I’m assuming, that sucks. Any one know details about this class?

TECC or TCCC are both advanced classes, you are not going to understand 90% of the class, it is focused around those with advanced life saving skills.

Doesn't mean you would not still benefit from it but you might be the only person that has no idea what is being talked about.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    TECC or TCCC are both advanced classes, you are not going to understand 90% of the class, it is focused around those with advanced life saving skills.

Doesn't mean you would not still benefit from it but you might be the only person that has no idea what is being talked about.

Thats funny, given where the term TCCC comes from. Army Combat Lifesaver is a TCCC class. Army stuff is taught in crayon, and for a while they were initiating saline locks on each other at the end of a 40 hr class.

Just remember, if the situation is tactical, your first responsibility is not rendering aid.

Top Bottom