Life saving First Aid in a mass casualty situation.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Woobie, I didn’t think that this was the right class for me necessarily, it was just that it was in my town. In fact the class I really am interested in is called “Street medical trauma life support”. Covering multiple trauma injuries one might come across in various accidents such as vehicle, farm, work place, and at home. This is pretty much exactly what I was after, unfortunately, it is in Louisville, KY and lasts two days in early January. Winters are very very busy for me and would be the opposite of the convenience that the other TCCC class would provide. I think the street class is offered a few times throughout the year so I’ll keep an eye out. I definitely still would like to find a “tactical “ trauma class too.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    TECC or TCCC are both advanced classes, you are not going to understand 90% of the class, it is focused around those with advanced life saving skills.

Doesn't mean you would not still benefit from it but you might be the only person that has no idea what is being talked about.

I've seen TCCC classes that clearly states there's no prequisites for the class and that no prior medical exprerience is required.
    Some other classes will ask for an EMT certification or above.

With a great instructor you should be able to understand 100% of the class with no prior medical knowledge.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    This training doesnt hurt. It covers more than just disaster first aid.

Basically it prepares you to help your immediate neighborhood become self sufficient for 72 hours. A mass casualty/disaster event that you know fire rescue isnt coming anytime soon because they are too busy elsewhere dealing with bigger fish.

They teach basic disaster first aid, trauma assessments, triage, basic urban SAR, etc. I feel more prepared afterward.

https://www.ready.gov/community-emergency-response-team

Edit: its not exactly what we are all looking for, but it does give us more info and makes us better prepared overall as a self sufficient individual. You can also take additional training they offer, as well as learning command structure for even more certs.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Woobie, I didn’t think that this was the right class for me necessarily, it was just that it was in my town. In fact the class I really am interested in is called “Street medical trauma life support”. Covering multiple trauma injuries one might come across in various accidents such as vehicle, farm, work place, and at home. This is pretty much exactly what I was after, unfortunately, it is in Louisville, KY and lasts two days in early January. Winters are very very busy for me and would be the opposite of the convenience that the other TCCC class would provide. I think the street class is offered a few times throughout the year so I’ll keep an eye out. I definitely still would like to find a “tactical “ trauma class too.

I just meant that you don't have to sell yourself short. You probably could do it.

Now I will agree with you on the usefulness angle. The likelihood of needing to help the victim of a car crash is several orders of magnitude higher than treating a GSW.

Last edited:

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I've seen TCCC classes that clearly states there's no prequisites for the class and that no prior medical exprerience is required.
    Some other classes will ask for an EMT certification or above.

With a great instructor you should be able to understand 100% of the class with no prior medical knowledge.

So is this great instructor supposed to stop the class so they can dumb down and make you understand the human body like everyone else does?

Great instructor or not, there is not time in a TCCC/TECC class to go over basics or things that you should already know, it is a advanced class.

Getting back to your rural volunteer EMS vs big city, yes a rural provider will see some fatal and bad crashes/shootings/trama, the difference is it might take them a lifetime to come across that vs a busy bus on the west or east side of Indy, they simply cover in a months time what a rural volunteer covers in a lifetime, the more you treat something the better and faster you get.

I have served in both rolls, bored to death in one and total chaos in the other.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Dunno if this might be of interest to you or not? Part of the CCRT/MALC training organization group.

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/lefr-tactical-medicine-lafayette-tickets-38135535413

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    So is this great instructor supposed to stop the class so they can dumb down and make you understand the human body like everyone else does?

Great instructor or not, there is not time in a TCCC/TECC class to go over basics or things that you should already know, it is a advanced class.

Getting back to your rural volunteer EMS vs big city, yes a rural provider will see some fatal and bad crashes/shootings/trama, the difference is it might take them a lifetime to come across that vs a busy bus on the west or east side of Indy, they simply cover in a months time what a rural volunteer covers in a lifetime, the more you treat something the better and faster you get.

I have served in both rolls, bored to death in one and total chaos in the other.

Ok, I've gotta know. What is the curriculum of a civilian TCCC class?

Because there isn't a ton of anatomy in what we do. Mainly you need to know what everyone already does: the lungs are in the chest, and the stinky stuff is underneath that. They tell you where the brachial and femoral arteries are. They do throw around distal and proximal sometimes, but they usually explain the difference. T stands for Tactical, and tactical usually means there are bits of metal flying through the air that can wreak havoc on squishy human bodies. It also means people running around blown up stuff in some miserable corner of the world. So there isn't any concern for overdoses and heart attacks. It's all trauma and heat injury. What can someone do to save a life in those conditions. Well, if it can be saved, and the person doing the saving isn't a surgeon or a medic, then they need three skills to save a life in almost all tactical situations: restore an airway, stop arterial blood loss, and prevent or decompress a pneumothorax. There is a lot of important care to be aware of, but I've seen absolute rocks learn to be good enough at those three things, as well as evaluating a casualty, initiating a saline lock, treating a number of non life threatening injuries and improvising bandages and litters all in 40 hours. Of course the skills are highly perishable, but the uninitiated can be taught without taking college classes.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Wut u sed!

I am 61 and am relying on what I learned as a 17 year old in Basic training. Yeah I can benefit from furthur training, but I an "CERTAIN" that I can do those three things. I do know where the organd and main arteries are. I think that was Biology when I was 16.

I think I would have been better off if I had titled the thread,

Life Saving in the "aftermath" of a mass casualty event.

For those like me who didn't know.
    thesurvivaldoctor.com

distal-proximal1.jpg

Something that is proximal is situated closest to the point of attachment or origin. In medicine, it means closest to the center of the body. The opposite ofproximal is distal and these terms are also used in geology.

Didtal - distant, Proximal - in proxinity = furthur away or closer to, I would assume to the blood pump, heart

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    And remember kids, no medical care without security! Neutralize or move away from the threat prior to treating injuries, no matter how serious. The bad guys can put holes in people faster than you can plug 'em.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Wut u sed!

I am 61 and am relying on what I learned as a 17 year old in Basic training. Yeah I can benefit from furthur training, but I an "CERTAIN" that I can do those three things. I do know where the organd and main arteries are. I think that was Biology when I was 16.

I think I would have been better off if I had titled the thread,

Life Saving in the "aftermath" of a mass casualty event.

For those like me who didn't know.
    thesurvivaldoctor.com

distal-proximal1.jpg

Something that is proximal is situated closest to the point of attachment or origin. In medicine, it means closest to the center of the body. The opposite ofproximal is distal and these terms are also used in geology.

Didtal - distant, Proximal - in proxinity = furthur away or closer to, I would assume to the blood pump, heart

I like it. The Military is incredibly stupid in so many ways, but I love how they can teach you with a sharpie and duct tape in 30 seconds what a college would have required a semester of Latin for you to learn.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Yeah stop the threat, who do you think you are, Desmond Doss?

Lol. When I hear stories of these incredible heroes, I just think: "how many kids stood up to do the same thing and fell right back down with a hole in their head?" There's probably a lot of heroes that never were because things didn't quite work out for them. Just because someone got away with it and got a medal, doesn't mean it's a good idea. But then again, sometimes there is no other choice. Anyway, I'm no Desmond Doss.

Heavy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2016
    Tippecanoe County
    Sorry for delayed reply, I got sleepy early last night.

Cameramonkey, thanks for the link and opinions from your experiences with the class, this sounds interesting and I’ll be looking into it some more!

bwframe, this is the exact class I was talking about earlier. The one that is in my town and may or may not be LE and FR only. Thank you for the link. If I was not such an ape when it comes to these computers I would have put a link with my original post. Nevertheless your effort on my behalf is very appreciated! **edit to add** The MALC training group is the one offering the street class as well.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    And remember kids, no medical care without security! Neutralize or move away from the threat prior to treating injuries, no matter how serious. The bad guys can put holes in people faster than you can plug 'em.

:yesway:
    Those same TCCC principles are true in any first aid situation.Not just when bad guys are shooting at you.

With a car accident if your patient is in a burning car you first need to put the fire out or you need to drag your patient away from the fire.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If anyone is really interested in “the oh ***** moment” trauma care, you should consider attending a TECC or TCCC class...

Since we are talking MCI, familiarizing yourself with START triage criteria can help benefit the largest number of people.

Got a link for these classes?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Bumping this thread.

I have first aid kits (no blood clotting stuff, just basic stuff you find in the store) in my backpack, bathroom, garage, SUV, and at work.
    But now I'm interested in getting a tourniquet, and carrying it.

In addition, I wouldn't mind carrying some "trauma" stuff, cause I might not have the time to get one of my kits.
    But, it's easy to make it so big, that I won't carry it.

Presently, my belt is pretty full. S&W M&P, spare mag, cell phone, flashlight, and multi-tool.
    So... I'm either going to have to put it on the ankle, or kick the cell phone off.

I've been eyeballing this
    D.A.R.K. Slim Trauma Kit - Dark Angel Medical
    D.A.R.K. Slim Trauma Kit (civilian version)
    DARK_Slim_blue1__75862.1488469858.jpg

Kit Contents:

• 1 x HALO Seal 1 x Hemostatic Gauze (QuikClot Bleeding Control Dressing in Civ kits, Combat Gauze LE in LE/FR kits, Combat Gauze MIL in Mil kits, ChitoGauze also)
    • 1 x NPA (No NPA in Civilian Basic kit)
    • 1 x Emergency Bandage
    • 1 x NAR Compressed Gauze
    • 1 x Pair Nitrile Gloves
    • 1 x Mylar Blanket
    • 1 x Polycarbonate Eye Shield
    • 1 x Ten Tac Med Tips Assessment Card

The kit features a side mounted TQ pouch on the right side that will accommodate either the CAT (standard offering) or SOFTT-W (substitution), trauma shear retention strap and PALS channel on the left side, a 2”x3” loop patch on the front of the pouch for medical identifiers, personal identifiers, etc. and a new attachment system that eliminates snaps. The webbing is woven through the channels on web gear and “tucked” back under and tension holds the kit in place. The pouch has horizontal loops built in on the back for belt mounting horizontally and the vertical straps can be woven and tucked into the webbing to create vertical belt loops. The pouch is 500D nylon made in the USA.

Looks pretty good (to me), but worried it'll be too big for ankle.
    So.. like I said, either kick the cell phone off the belt, or skip it and just get the CAT-T for the ankle.
    It says 8”H x 3”W x 2” D.
    But, I'd need to measure that out in cardboard to visualize the size better.

I'm interested in what others are carrying, that are similar.
    If any of you have this.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    All of that stuff is very useful, but if you're concerned about size you should consider carrying just a SOFTT-W, a 6-inch Israeli Bandage, and some gorilla tape. There isn't much you can't do with that combination. Maybe add some kerlix/gauze if you don't carry other stuff that you can improvise packing material if you need it.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Fr the past few weeks, I’ve been carrying an AFAK from Ryker Nylon Gear. It comes with a pair of mini EMT shears, and a couple pair of nitriles. To the pockets I have added a folded down CAT, 4” Izzy, two vented Hyfin seals, and QwikClot Combat Gauze. It’s tough to get it all in the pockets, but once there, and on the ankle, it’s pretty comfortable. There are a couple of places that sell them pre-stocked, but I just bought the pouch and filled it myself.

https://www.rykernylongear.com/

ETA: It also comes with an extender for wear over boots.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    thanks for your responses guys. I have more to think about now.
    Gonna wait a few more days for more responses.

Decisions
    Decisions
    Decisions

Top Bottom