Longtime liberal friend wants to buy a gun now.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2019
    Roanoke
    Always uplifting to see these stories. Hold onto your butts when you read this but I myself fall on the left side of the fence and I have voted as such since I was legally able but on the same token I've been shooting/training for 24 years. It's always a good day when I can get one of my own to take a taste on the firing line and see firsthand their realization that what they feared is not such a fear they should have been bandwagoning. Change one and they'll change another, be the change you want to see. If you want to be smug and slam the club door then thats your bed to make and there's no judgement from me.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Point em to an NRA instructor.
    Make em put their money where their mouth is.
    People will earn from someone they know long before they will go somewhere they don't know anyone.

I've introduced a lot of people to shooting. I have people from work out to my house, teach them safety, and let them shoot different guns. These people are mostly from Chicagoland in IL. Many have gone back and gotten their FOIDs, guns, and in some cases have even gotten their carry permits in IL. I also discuss with them about how silly the laws are in their state. I always love to show them my RatWorx suppressor, made in IL, that they can not own in IL.

I have no regrets over spending either the time or the money to do any of it. If I hadn't, most of those people would still think guns were bad rather than being on our side.

Drotis

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 17, 2012
    Sellersburg
    Since this whole insanity started, I have had a number of friends, most of whom had never considered owning a gun, ask me for advice on what to buy.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. We even have folks here that are OK with infringing of our rights. "as long as I can still keep a gun at the bedside and still hunt/target shoot, i dont care what restrictions are passed. Because I dont EDC, I dont own an assault rifle, and those laws wont hurt me."

After reflecting on this for a bit, I should clarify. If its somebody I know that isnt political, doesnt vote, and just has the attitude of "I dont need a gun, thats what the police are for" I'll gladly help. But if I know they are an active D voter, they can go **** up a rope because they are a hypocrite.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    To clarify about my liberal friend. She was raised around firearms while at home, her father and brother were hunters, and target shooters. She grew up went to college became a liberal. She even shot firearms while she was living with her parents. I really think she is waking up to what is really going on. I hope she is anyway.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    After reflecting on this for a bit, I should clarify. If its somebody I know that isn't political, doesn't vote, and just has the attitude of "I don't need a gun, that's what the police are for" I'll gladly help. But if I know they are an active D voter, they can go **** up a rope because they are a hypocrite.
    [apostrophes added.]

Or, they've had a come-to-Jesus moment and have a flicker of light burning inside which should be nurtured rather than extinguished.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    This topic is hard for me. On one hand I really want to be helpful and help guide them into the light.

On the other I REALLY want to say "F*** YOU! You've been against us all these years. You have mocked me and my friends, fought against me, and voted for those who tried to make me lose the ability to own a gun. You dont get to fight against this right all this time and then suddenly change your tune when you think it suits you. NO! NO GUNS FOR YOU!"
    It is hard for someone to admit that they have been wrong for so many years. We need to welcome these folks. They probably will get a lot of flak from their liberal friends and family. We need to be supportive. I only hope that they get the proper training so that they don't end up as a bad statistic.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    After reflecting on this for a bit, I should clarify. If its somebody I know that isnt political, doesnt vote, and just has the attitude of "I dont need a gun, thats what the police are for" I'll gladly help. But if I know they are an active D voter, they can go **** up a rope because they are a hypocrite.

Have you considered that if we help democrat voters understand the need to own guns then they may just put pressure on democrat politicians to either not support anti-gun legislation, or heaven forbid, actually vote for pro gun bills?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It is hard for someone to admit that they have been wrong for so many years. We need to welcome these folks. They probably will get a lot of flak from their liberal friends and family. We need to be supportive. I only hope that they get the proper training so that they don't end up as a bad statistic.

Yep. I used to drink the progressive kool-aid, particularly around "climate change." It was hard for me to objectively analyze what I thought I knew and let go of those beliefs. It would have been much easier to close me eyes and stick my fingers in my ears. But once I realized I had the capacity to change my beliefs it got easier to do for other points of view I held.

Smacking someone down for past beliefs or turning our backs on them when they start to rethink their positions will only push them back toward what they think they already know.

People can and do change. It's hard to do, but it's possible. We should encourage it when we can.

Phase2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Have you considered that if we help democrat voters understand the need to own guns then they may just put pressure on democrat politicians to either not support anti-gun legislation, or heaven forbid, actually vote for pro gun bills?

That is trivially easy to test. Ask them if they intend to vote for Biden for president.

That said, I support the suggestion to send them to professional trainers. They'll have to show some commitment to go through with it and it will benefit society for them to have some training and the gun-loving trainer industry.

radar8756

Works for Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Sep 21, 2010
    Westville, IN
    I would go with the Joe Biden advice and tell them to buy a Shotgun ...

I would also make sure they understand: Having a Gun ... and .. Using a Gun when needed -- are very Distinct things

90% do not have what it takes to Pull the Trigger when it comes down to Them or Me

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I dunno. I agree we should be getting as many people on our side as we can. Its just VERY hard to reconcile that against knowing these idiots did everything they could to infringe on our rights, until suddenly when it suits them, they are on board. It strikes me as the related issue we have discussed here before; "I dont need to prep. If the :poop: hits the fan, I'll just come to your house! You'll have plenty of supplies and weapons."

In the end I'd probably help. But not after a brief dressing down. I hate opportunistic people. ESPECIALLY those that think they know what is best for me. And now that they realize Im the one who really knew better, suddenly when its advantageous for them they are on board.

I would ask any liberal why they are seeking a firearm before helping them. They're going to have to demonstrate an honest understanding of the importance of private firearm ownership before I help them. To include the rights of others to possess firearms that they themselves have no use for. If they can't do that then I'll send them to go buy a Hi Point and FMJ ammo and wish them luck.

700 LTR 223

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    I actually had a liberal friend that told me he believed in the right to defend yourself with a firearm and even told me me more than once about his 15 SHOT Beretta 92 that he owned. When I mentioned I had bought an AR he came totally unglued! "NO ONE should have the right to own one of those military guns!" Really? As I recall the Beretta 92 was a military gun. Funny thing my AR has never had more than 10 rounds in it at any time I owned it. Anyway it was the last time I ever contacted him.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville

So all non gun owning voting democrats are hypocrites......Hummm.... The things I learn on INGO....

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Well I got a call from her. No gun buying today. She was told by one of her friends that she can't buy a firearm without a Handgun permit. I told her she can buy one without it. She just can't carry it without one. So she is going to set up another day to go "gun shopping".

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Well I got a call from her. No gun buying today. She was told by one of her friends that she can't buy a firearm without a Handgun permit. I told her she can buy one without it. She just can't carry it without one. So she is going to set up another day to go "gun shopping".

Is she, or her friend, currently, or in the past, living in Michigan?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    [apostrophes added.]

Or, they've had a come-to-Jesus moment and have a flicker of light burning inside which should be nurtured rather than extinguished.

Funny you mention that Jesus guy. I think he had an idea about redemption that is the opposite of what some of his followers might think.

Imagine him telling someone to go **** up a rope. :):

Your signature line is applicable here.

Lilboog82

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2014
    Indiana

^ this

but I would add to it if the active d-voting person started putting money where their mouth is by donating to 2-a group then I would be more willing to help

Top Bottom