Looking for a pediatrician that doesn't ask about guns.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    our former doc asked, answered himself and went on with the exam. After the exam, the hubby and him talked guns.

His answer to the question was NO

alabasterjar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Steuben County
    My family doctor is in Ohio. The sign on the door states "no concealed weapons permitted on the premises". It is definitely a physician/hospital/group policy, not because of the family doctor's position. I haven't tried to open carry yet, but I've been tempted to - I guess I'm always concerned that I could get screwed by some Ohio law if I did.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I had a receptionist hand Mini Miguel (11) a "patient survey" and told me he should fill it out. I took it from him and read it. ****ing 11 years old and this ***** is trying to end-around me!

I shall paraphrase, "Do you ever have times where you are really sad?" and "How many times have you been sad lately?" were the questions. I filled it out for him, since I know he is bounding with joy on a daily basis... :laugh:

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I live in Clark Co and am looking for a pediatrician that doesn't ask about guns. Currently I go to Nassim, McMonigle and Mescia in New Albany and they do. Thank you.

I definitely get your frustration and annoyance. I haven't encountered this yet, but when I do, will savor coming up with some kind of smartass response, like "I only answer questions about my current medical status, I don't have a gunshot wound...next question please."

Yeah, I know the person is only an employee. Don't care. Hitler's prison guards, and all that.

Incidentally, wouldn't surprise me if they're gathering data for some kind of flipping study. Reason number "XX" that I voted for Trump...let's defund this crapola.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Maybe the NRA is behind those questions and if you answer "no" to "Do you have any guns in the house?" your doctor will advice you to get some in order to expend your life expectancy? :):

I don't see what's the big deal with those questions.Unless you are illegally owning guns and don't want to get caught.

Just say "Yes Doc, of course there are guns in my house, same reason there is also free speech ... 'cause 'Merica!"

Do they also ask if your knives, toxic cleaning products and matches are kept away from young children? :dunno:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    My family doctor is in Ohio. The sign on the door states "no concealed weapons permitted on the premises". It is definitely a physician/hospital/group policy, not because of the family doctor's position. I haven't tried to open carry yet, but I've been tempted to - I guess I'm always concerned that I could get screwed by some Ohio law if I did.

I thought signs, in Ohio, carried the weight of law .....

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    I could be mistaken but wasn't this some sort of an extension of the ACA and Obama? I swear I've heard something about that.

Also know for a fact that if you're on Obamacare; and you're overweight, by law your doctor can't get fully paid for the visit if he doesn't chastise you for being fat. Had to look that up after a friend of my wife complained that her doctors wouldn't stop harassing her for being fat.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I also open carry at my Dr, so that takes care of any questions about whether I own guns. I've talked guns and carrying to some extent with every nurse and Dr at the office at this point.

I wouldn't be upset with questions on a questionnaire. If they decided to try to preach to me against guns or further questions about how I keep or store them, then I would think it intrusive and would consider leaving. First I would tell them what I thought though, then I would find a new Dr.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Just answer that you do not expose your children to unsafe situations. They can take what they want from that and hopefully, it's a simple, true statement.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Well, since I have a LTCH, am a Life member of the NRA (I'm sure the Gov'ment has us on a list) and have a Federal license to collect Curio's and Relics (FFL-03), every agency that is interested knows I own firearms. I really don't give a daxx.

Most of the doctors today belong to a hospital association or other medical group. They set the rules, As long as the Doctors give me the care I require, I really don't care what they or their association thinks of me! At my age questions about children at home are not pertinent as I am 76. I don't lie so as long as their questions don't affect my care or my pocketbook I could give a shxx less!

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Why the **** does it matter?

It's a health risk assessment. If you have no guns in a home, the risk of accidentally chootin yo-self drops from low, to very, very low.:dunno:

I fill out a HRA every year for health insurance. I'm quite surprised I've yet to be asked that particular question.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    • Dr - Do you have guns in your household?
    • Me - So glad you asked. I have been wondering how best to protect my family until the police arrive. What do you do to protect the ones you love and cherish?
    • Dr - umm, duh, ....
    • Me - When I saw the No Gun sign on the front door I assumed you had a plan in place to protect your patients and staff that you took responsibility for after you asked them to disarm. What's the plan? Run, Hide, Pray?
    • Dr - umm, duh...

A nice fantasy. Reality is just answer NO and move on to the next question. I assume any answer other than NO goes into the giant database list of bad people that own scary stuff.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The wife and I recently had to see the Doctor for our yearly wellness check up to receive our incentives. Dr asks me are there any guns in the home. I responded with...are propostioning me for a sale or are you wanting to learn how to shoot? The look on the Dr's face was priceless, she didn't know what to say for a second and then responded..I'm guessing that's a yes, moving on now. My wife blew coffee through her nose when I answered. I found the whole situation quite commical

Top Bottom