• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I get what you're saying, but riddle me this... If we assume that same logic would it then be okay for LEO's to just start pulling random people over and asking for their drivers license? Since it is in fact illegal to operate a motor vechical without a license?

And since motor vehicles are associated with more deaths than firearms... nevrmind, you see what I'm saying, either way it's just frustrating to be treated like a criminal based on really nothing at all!

It is perfectly legal for LEOs to pull you over to check your DL, but I know EPD (and many others) has a policy that they must have reason for a stop like seatbelt violation, speeding, headlight out etc...

Not to mention, some of my good friends are cops and we're on the road together a lot. There isn't a driver on the road that can't provide a reason for a stop within about a 2 mile stretch of road. If a cop spots you and wants to pull you over, it's happening, and probably with a reason outside of "they just wanted to". It's really pretty ridiculous sometimes riding with them and listening to them list off the 900 reasons they could stop the car in front of us AND these guys aren't traffic cops, they don't even write tickets. That said imagine if a road guy wants to get you...

swany11

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    It is perfectly legal for LEOs to pull you over to check your DL, but I know EPD (and many others) has a policy that they must have reason for a stop like seatbelt violation, speeding, headlight out etc...

Probably same reason they can do sobriety checkpoints.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Dang TF, I hate to do it to you twice in one day, let alone twice in one thread. But according to SCOTUS they can't just stop for DL/Registration checks.

Delaware v. Prouse - 440 U.S. 648 (1979) :: Justia US Supreme Court Center

Probably same reason they can do sobriety checkpoints.

Actually slightly different reason, but it stems from the same case. See above.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Peeves

Call this a thread jack if you wish.

This thread illustrates two of my pet peeves with forums.

1. A guy asks a question and somebody jumps him because he hasn't searched all over hell and half of Georgia first. Isn't it easier to just provide an answer or do we just like demeaning people?

2. A poster states an opinion and somebody demands a legal citation to support the statement. Just constantly looking for an argument are we?

The good news is that one person managed to hit both of the above in the same thread. One more to add to my ignore list. :rockwoot:

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

1. A guy asks a question and somebody jumps him because he hasn't searched all over hell and half of Georgia first. Isn't it easier to just provide an answer or do we just like demeaning people?

2. A poster states an opinion and somebody demands a legal citation to support the statement. Just constantly looking for an argument are we?

The good news is that one person managed to hit both of the above in the same thread. One more to add to my ignore list. :rockwoot:

What exactly is wrong with asking for a legal citation? Which would you prefer to follow?

1: Random advice on the internet
    2: Random advice backed up with facts?

:dunno:

..or you could just bock me too, I guess..

Titanium_Frost

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    Southwestern Indiana

I'm sure someone is weeping softly in a corner because they won't have you as a fan any longer.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    :hijack:

OK.. new direction....

I have my lifetime LTCH in the state of Indiana.. However I very rarely do carry one with me... So.. If I get pulled over by a LEO and he determines that I have a LTCH by my DL or LP and asks to see my LTCH.... do I need to provide it even though I do not have a HG on my person? or in my vehicle?

And if he dose not believe me doe's he have the right to search my person, and or vehicle?

Roscoe38

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    n00b

Why is it that when we have a big discussion in another thread some n00b gets an idea about a law but doesn't feel like they need to actually read anything and we should cater to THEIR question?

Ok, now THAT was snide...

Were you ever the n00b that really didn't know where to post?? Be kind, be courteous. Or better yet don't post.

Top Bottom