Man arrested in 'Call of Duty' 'swatting' hoax that led to fatal police shooting

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    To answer that, action beats reaction every time. As a drill during my combatives instructor school we use 2 instructors. Both standing, facing each other. One will have his finger pointed like a gun, aimed at the "bad guy". This simulates an officer pointing their gun at a person. The "bad guy" points his finger like a gun and keeps it down at his side. The officer will then say "bang" when he sees the gun come up, I mean he already has the gun pointed at him right? I've never seen the good guy say bang BEFORE the bad guy was able to bring up his and say bang first. It was eye opening for me. If the bad guy in concealed, it will likely be a 50/50 shootout at best. Most of the time, police operate right of bang. The trick is to get left of bang. I'm not speaking about this particular incident, just addressing the posed question.
    So you're saying that in your experience, outdrawing a drawn gun is effective almost 50% of the time? In the FoF classes I've taken, the results aren't near as effective, but that's only two samples out of?

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So you're saying that in your experience, outdrawing a drawn gun is effective almost 50% of the time? In the FoF classes I've taken, the results aren't near as effective, but that's only two samples out of?
    No, I was only guessing the percentage if the bad guy was drawing from a concealed carry. In my example of an experiment, I have yet seen someone NOT outdraw a drawn gun...I've seen it tested countless times. HOWEVER, this is based on the person with the gun pointing at the "bad guy" not firing until the bad guy moves his weapon from his side. As many here would prefer, the officer is only REACTING to the gun. We have a false sense of security that since the bad guy is holding a gun but not pointing it at us and we have our guns pointed at them, that we have the upper hand. We do not.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    No, I was only guessing the percentage if the bad guy was drawing from a concealed carry. In my example of an experiment, I have yet seen someone NOT outdraw a drawn gun...I've seen it tested countless times. HOWEVER, this is based on the person with the gun pointing at the "bad guy" not firing until the bad guy moves his weapon from his side. As many here would prefer, the officer is only REACTING to the gun. We have a false sense of security that since the bad guy is holding a gun but not pointing it at us and we have our guns pointed at them, that we have the upper hand. We do not.
    Got it!

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    So I am just asking is it procedure that (911 or police) try to call the house prior to the police/swat arriving?

It depends. What would you expect that to solve though? If that was really going on, you think they would tell us? If they answered and said nothing was going on, would you take their word on it? It's a tough spot to be in for sure, no easy answers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Wait, this doesn't make sense. The caller is from CA.0Ddid he make the call in CA or in Kansas? Wouldn't 911 operators know something was off if the given address is in KS if the call is in CA?

I've been gaming online for a long time and none of the people I talked to knows where I am or who my real name is. Unless these are old acquaintances.

There's several ways to do it. Perhaps the oldest way is buying a Magic Jack or similar phone via Internet device. Since Magic Jack has no idea what your address is, they just have you enter it. That's what will show up. I had a buddy who's Magic Jack showed him in Louisville (his old address) while he lived in Italy for a few years.

OK. Lets review. They have this guy completely covered. No escape possible or so it seems. He reaches. OK......they have him covered, did he produce a weapon of any kind. I have not viewed this video I am just saying. How long does it take to pull a weapon and get it on point. A trained individual can do it quickly enough but they had him covered. Completely.
    I was not there. I have no idea how tense this was. I am not the officer that shot this man. I do not know this officer. I am just asking about the variables.
    It does seem this is happening with regularity.

Massad Ayoob has demonstrated in court many many times that it doesn't work like that. Force Science Institute, etc. have all studied reaction times and the absolute best you can hope for is a near simultaneous shot.

The point that bothers me is that unlike the Shaver case, these SWAT are tens of yards away behind seemingly good cover. Even if this guy did present a handgun they could easily have taken him out with him only getting maybe 2 unaimed shots at best. The original post made me think they were on his porch (he opened the door for them) but they're on the other side of the street.

Are you willing to risk your life, the life of your partners, and the lives of whoever's down range of his shots on those 2 'at best' not hitting anyone?

Should have given out the address to the local police station. That's what I would do if I was giving out a false address.

I've actually done that. Some dude running his suck. Sure, meet me at work. 1150 Shelby St. I'm in the white Crown Vic. Today I'm smarter and would just must some random a-hole threatening me via the interwebz. I wasn't always smarter.

It depends. What would you expect that to solve though? If that was really going on, you think they would tell us? If they answered and said nothing was going on, would you take their word on it? It's a tough spot to be in for sure, no easy answers.

Right. It's really easy to hindsight.

kirtar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2017
    West Lafayette
    Tweets from California gamer:

2lsT0LP.jpg

10DeGw3.jpg
    This is the rough logical equivalent of "oh I didn't get anyone killed when I released a bear into town, I don't have claws and am Homo sapiens."

I'd not heard this part. So, did the KS gamer have reason to suspect that the CA gamer might pull this stunt? I guess it would be difficult to prove, but if he did, then he's complicit as well. It's also possible that he gave a fake address out of general caution I suppose, and maybe that's the more likely scenario.
    Probably nearly impossible to prove unless he's dumb enough to admit to it like the other guy since he could say he just assumed that the guy wasn't dumb enough to think it was a real address.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Even between the N gauge and HO gauge guys?????

You can't believe how glad I am that you didn't bring those "0" gauge morons into this.

But seriously, swatting just isn't going to happen, though a strongly worded letter to the editorial staff of 'Model Railroader" would surely raise some hackles.

Top Bottom