• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Also the time of day was a factor....If they approched him from behind and he wasn't aware....which he should have been especially that time of night...It doesn't matter whether he was OCing or CC carrying ...they still would have gotten his gun. Out that late of night...makes me wonder how much he had to drink?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    OMG!! HELL HAS FROZEN OVER!! I was told this would _never_ happen, than an exposed gun always equals deterrent

This is what's known as a "straw man" because no, actually, you weren't. (Except maybe someone, and I include myself in potential someones, not expressing themselves as well as they might or using something like "it doesn't happen" as verbal shorthand for "while it may happen once in a great while, it's really not the way one should bet.")

It's a big world and you can find examples of most anything at least once if you look hard enough. However, the fact that longshots do occasionally come in does not make them any less longshots, nor does it make them the way to bet.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    It doesn't matter whether he was OCing or CC carrying ...they still would have gotten his gun.

Wrong. I find it amazing that folks who OC don't think the gun they are carrying could be the target of the theft. We have people shooting cashiers for what, a few hundred bucks, but no one would _ever_ shoot an OCer in the back of their head for an $400-$800 gun?? I have always assumed that if you get caught up in some sort of robbery, and the robber _knows_ you have a gun (either by sight, or by being patted down), they are going to take your gun. Guns=money. Right now, money is tight for some. Again, I fully believe that the vast majority of thugs who see a person with an exposed handgun is likely to assume that person is a cop. If OCing becomes more prevalent, this could change if the information was such that the thugs knew that some folks, with no badge or police shirt, OCing were just your common citizen.

To sit there and say one is tactically aware at all times is laughable at best. How do you do your shopping? You find the aisle with your product, do a 360 check, then walk down the aisle, doing another 360 check when you find and are facing your product, then do you grab the product, put it back down to do yet another check, then eventually place it in your grocery cart? What happens when you load your groceries? Do you open your door 1", do a 360 degree check, open the door another inch, another 360 check, open a little more, another 360 degree check, etc.. Do you make sure you _never_ use two hands when loading groceries or pushing a grocery cart? Please, OCers have just as much situation preparedness as anyone else. Situational preparedness has limitations, unless you go through life doing what 99.99% of people would consider extremely weird behavior (like walking forwards while constantly spinning 360 degrees, checking ever dumpster in the alley before walking past the alley, etc.).

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Here's some food for thought (and a feeble attempt at curbing any degenerative OC vs. CC posts):

If you were in the same situation, and you realized that someone was attempting to remove your gun, what would you do?

Would a reaction of lethal force (by you) be warranted?

Curious as to your thoughts. . . .

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Here's some food for thought (and a feeble attempt at curbing any degenerative OC vs. CC posts):

If you were in the same situation, and you realized that someone was attempting to remove your gun, what would you do?

Would a reaction of lethal force (by you) be warranted?

Curious as to your thoughts. . . .

I think if someone is trying to take another person's gun, deadly force is justified. The problem is that I think the vast majority of OCers wouldn't even see it coming. I have seen OCers (even cops) carrying kids, turning their backs on other people, etc.. The only way to practice 100% situational awareness would be to constantly watch everyone, till they were gone. Then checking ever second, maybe two seconds, to make sure they weren't there. In a place like Walmart, or out on the street, it would mean never going out there with people around. It would mean that if there were only two people, you and someone else, you cross the street to put as much distance between that person and yourself.

I could careless what some folks say. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that I could take the guns of 75% of the OCers out there. The ones I have seen, 99%, as their situational awareness was to totally turn their back to me, kid in one hand, shopping cart or basket in the other.

Now as a addition to your question: Say one is unsuccessful at getting the gun, and you knock them down on the floor. You have the gun, wonder how many people would still shoot given the adrenaline rush alone? That would have to be one of the most scariest things that could happen to a person. Only time will tell if OCers become targeted solely for their weapons.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    also this is the reason I keep my snub nose revolver concealed. take my gun, ill turn around and shoot you in the face with a 38 special.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    How do you do your shopping? You find the aisle with your product, do a 360 check, then walk down the aisle, doing another 360 check when you find and are facing your product, then do you grab the product, put it back down to do yet another check, then eventually place it in your grocery cart? What happens when you load your groceries? Do you open your door 1", do a 360 degree check, open the door another inch, another 360 check, open a little more, another 360 degree check, etc..
    I'd get dizzy...all that spinning around. :n00b:

0,,5693171,00.gif

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Also the time of day was a factor....If they approched him from behind and he wasn't aware....which he should have been especially that time of night...It doesn't matter whether he was OCing or CC carrying ...they still would have gotten his gun. Out that late of night...makes me wonder how much he had to drink?

Bingo...if I were walking that time of night, I would certainly be looking around while walking continually...to not is lack of situational awareness.

22lr

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Jeff Gordon Country
    Attention to detail: FAIL
    Situational awareness: FAIL
    Aware of environment: lowercase fail
    No backup gun when walking at 0400: FAIL

If your going to OC then by gosh use some basic common sense and have some awareness of your surrounding. If you put the ipod in (nothing wrong with that), untuck the shirt and cover it up. Its scarily easy to prevent this from happening to you.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I agree. I think that would qualify as a statistical anomaly.

Does the OP have any others to bolster his case?

I believe the story was posted as a (general) response to the "show me ONE case where an OCer was targeted because of his displayed gun and it was taken away!" crowd. Well, here is one case. Anomaly? Perhaps. Other cases? Maybe.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    I believe the story was posted as a (general) response to the "show me ONE case where an OCer was targeted because of his displayed gun and it was taken away!" crowd. Well, here is one case. Anomaly? Perhaps. Other cases? Maybe.

And now that we have an actual case to look at, rather than purely hypothetical imaginings, we can look at it and see that far more than just OC was at "fault." There were multiple failures that led to the gun being stolen.

The case at hand reads more like seat belt arguments of the "my brother would have died had he been buckled in" or "joe blow might have lived had he been 'thrown clear' in that accident." Yeah. Maybe. It's a big world and all sorts of unlikely things do happen. Me? I'll wear my seat belt.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    "Thrown clear" of the accident? It's usually thrown clear into the next county, or thrown clear into the utility pole.:D

I can't believe he was walking around at 4 in the morning OCing.

Well, if he was, A. coming back from the bar, or B. did not possess a license to carry in a concealed manner, then he was complying with the law.

Pffft, just shows you how much complying with the law will do ya.:D (Joking).

So, do we know if this individual had a Virginia CCW (or whatever they call it)? It's been 3.5 years ago, any more info?

Top Bottom