• edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    It's really a non-issue since I'd be OC'ing one of these

Wow :yesway:

You know, its funny in a way because 25 years ago the same was said of Dobermans. Now its pit bulls. The owner MAKES the dog. A pit bull is bred for violence just as a Doberman was, yet dobermans make great pets and loyal also. I personally would not own a pit bull but it is not because of the rep. If registration for a pit bull is law, what about dobermans, German Sherpards, and the always dangerous Rotweilers?

because after i shot his dogs, i would kick the living sh*t out of him for making me shoot his dogs. :)

:+1:

Last edited:

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    The natural instinct for all dogs is fighting, well at least hunting and killing.

I'm glad you changed that. Most dogs hunt & kill PREY. Not other dogs or humans. The only time most dogs fight is to establish pack heirarchy which establishes breeding rights. Most of the time it's not to the death. Even Pit lovers warn against leaving your Pit alone with another dog, even one that it has shown no aggression toward in the past because they know they can just 'snap' & kill the other dog.

So all medium to large breeds should be strictly controlled and require liability insurance? Great danes, gsd, dobes, rotts, mastiffs, boxers, huskys, etc. all are strong breeds and can be agressive. Heck something like 50 years ago danes were banned from dog shows for being too aggressive.

No. Most larger breeds don't show the erratic temperment of Pits & Rotts. They can, but it's not as prevalent.

there are a few reasons you hear about pit bulls more than other breeds. #1 is because they are the most common dog in the country.

Where do you get that information? From what I've read they make up a far greater ratio of human fatalities & bites than their population would warrant.

#2 is because they are one of the smartest and strongest breeds of dog. making them the perfect choice for people to use as fighting dogs, home protection, or just to have because someone thinks they look cool/badass.

OK :dunno: I thought that you said these dogs were trained to not attack humans so if that's true then they would probably make a fairly crappy protection dog. Which is it?

comparing a american pit bull terrier to a crocadile is rediculous. it is a DOG!!!! a fricking dog!!!

& a croc is just a croc. Every species has characteristics that make that species unique. You can try to breed/train the unfavorable ones out but it doesn't always work.

Just like "assault weapons" have their reputation for a reason?

You may not like this answer either but, yes, they have a reputation for a reason.

yes, a dog has a brain. if they owner controls the dog properly, then they have no ability to attack another animal or human. JUST LIKE A GUN. if the owner is in control over the dog 24/7, there is no issue.

go put your assault rifle in the back yard for a few hours loaded by itself. see what happens. wait for someone to see it. ok...now i'm waiting for the "i live in the country", or "i have a 6 foot fence". be realistic.

I can 100% absolutely guarantee that with no human intervention that "assault rifle" will not move or harm another dog or human or do anything at all. Can you guarantee that with your Pit?

And the same can be said of gun owners. And most people on here I think agree if someone misuses a firearm to hold them responsible, but do not blame the responsible ones and make them jump through hoops because of the minority of irresponsible ones.

And most of the antis aren't saying necessarily ban guns either, just stricter controls and maybe mandatory liability insurance.

So, you compare me with the anti's but fail to realize that I'm not the one ascribing intelligence/instinct to an inanimate "assault rifle" or any other gun like you two are. That, my friend, is what the anti's do.

No gun that I've ever heard of has dug under it's fence or broke it's leash & violently attacked another gun or human. Without direct human action the gun doesn't "do" anything. That's why HUMANS are 100% responsible for the damage caused by ANY GUN. Animals don't need any human involvement at all to be potentially dangerous.

OiRadio47

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Mishawaka
    my viccous attack dog pitbull was riding shotgun offroading in the dunes with me today. I was afraid some cop wannabe with a gun might draw on me because there are alot of badasses with guns out there!

Mikeh82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    there are a few reasons you hear about pit bulls more than other breeds. #1 is because they are the most common dog in the country

Do some research before you post false facts... Pits are nowhere near the most common breed of dog in the US... Labs are and have been the most common breed for years.. Pits are nowhere near the top...

Muddy_Ford

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    Hartford City
    American Staffordshire Terrier is number 70 on the list of most popular breeds.

And the English Staffordshire Bull Terrier is 77th on the list.

:dunno: Kinda far from #1 I'd have to say.

Here is the link I used to find this info. AKC Dog Registration Statistics

By the way for the record I have no dislike for any breed of dogs.

bigiron

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    NWI hiding in the bushes
    my viccous attack dog pitbull was riding shotgun offroading in the dunes with me today. I was afraid some cop wannabe with a gun might draw on me because there are alot of badasses with guns out there!

i've been to the dunes before and never see alot of badasses with guns and never, ever felt in fear for any reason. would you prehaps be one of those irresponsible owners who pretend to be a badass by having your dog act viscious? is that why you would be afraid someone would pull a gun on you? i think prehaps you should think a bit more before posting.:dunno: jeff

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    That may be true in the most recent history but it's natural instinct is for fighting & that had been bred into it for thousands of years prior to that. Even the breed lovers articles state that the abberent behavior does exist in this dog breed.

I forgot to address this. It's been bred into them for thousands of years? Really? Pit bulls as a breed are nowhere near that old.
    American Staffordshire Terrier Information and Pictures
    In the nineteenth century in the English region of Staffordshire, crossing among the Bulldog and various terriers developed the muscular, active, combative Staffordshire Bullterrier. Brought to the United States, the breed was preferred by American breeders who increased its weight and gave it a more powerful head. Now recognized as a separate breed, the American Staffordshire is larger and heavier than his British cousin, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier. After dog fighting was banned in the United States in 1900, two strains of these dogs were developed, a show strain and a fighting dog strain. The show strain was labeled the American Staffordshire, while the fighting dog strain was labeled the American Pit Bull Terrier.
    No. Most larger breeds don't show the erratic temperment of Pits & Rotts. They can, but it's not as prevalent.

Other than your opinion, do you have any cites to show that is true? My guess is that most of the "erratic" temperament shown is because of the owners, they get them because they want a "tough" dog and attempt to raise them to be one.

Where do you get that information? From what I've read they make up a far greater ratio of human fatalities & bites than their population would warrant.

And a large part of that is how they do the reporting. Most places that I know of for dog bites they have to list the breed and mixed is not allowed by itself. And for a lot of people any stocky dog is a pit bull. When I had my Rott I was asked by several different people if my "pit bull" :): was friendly. I had a friend who had a Great Pyrenees and I've seen people tell him how pretty his "chow" is. Here is a test for you to take, how many people on the street would be able to pass it do you think?

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

OK :dunno: I thought that you said these dogs were trained to not attack humans so if that's true then they would probably make a fairly crappy protection dog. Which is it?

Dogs used in fighting were trained not to attack humans, the handlers would usually be in the ring with the dogs also the ref. And the handlers usually bathed the other persons dog before the match. Any dog that bit a human was put down, usually on the spot.

But that doesn't mean they can't make a good protection dog, they are strong and smart and trainable. All are good traits in a protection dog.

I can 100% absolutely guarantee that with no human intervention that "assault rifle" will not move or harm another dog or human or do anything at all. Can you guarantee that with your Pit?

Can you guarantee it with any dog?

So, you compare me with the anti's but fail to realize that I'm not the one ascribing intelligence/instinct to an inanimate "assault rifle" or any other gun like you two are. That, my friend, is what the anti's do.

I'm not ascribing intelligence to an inanimate object, I am comparing your remarks to the anti's. Such as "pit bulls should be strictly controlled" "guns should be strictly controlled". Or "I don't doubt and have never said that there weren't responsible pitbull owners around. The problem is that there are alot of owners that aren't responsible enough to have as high of maintenance dog as a pitbull." "I don't doubt and have never said that there weren't responsible gun owners around. The problem is that there are a lot of owners that aren't responsible enough to have a gun"

Oh and do you know what the three most aggressive breeds are? #1 Dachshund #2 Chihuahua #3 Jack russel terrier.
    The Most Aggressive Dog Breeds Defy AR Rhetoric - by John Woestendiek of The Baltimore Sun
    I'm sure your going to say well those are small dogs and can't do a lot of damage. Go ahead and tell that to this family.
    Pomeranian Kills 6-Week-Old Girl
    Or this one.
    Jeff Mozer said the Jack Russell terrier that attacked and kill... - Topix

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    Keep Walking. A Judge will ask you; "Could you turn left or right or turn around and walk away?" then there is NO reason to shoot anything (man or dog). If you are attacked? then thats a different story. :banana:

linzal12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Greenfield
    As long as he has control over the dogs, just slowly back away. If he let dogs go and they attacked definately dogs first and i may possibly miss and take out a knee or something non vital.

Last edited:

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    I would walk away as cautiously as possible if the dogs were still on the leash. If the dogs came off the leash the owner is going to have to buy a new toy poodle if he wants to own a dog again. I wouldnt think twice about shooting the dogs if they got loose.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I would try to back out of the area and keep my gun drawn, but at my side, as long as the dogs remain on the leash. I would then call the police and have him arrested and hope the dogs can be sent to a good owner.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    So I am walking down the sidewalk and the hot neighbor lady walking her poodles demands to see my gun or she will turn the dogs loose on me. What would you do? :dunno:

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I would try to back out of the area and keep my gun drawn, but at my side, as long as the dogs remain on the leash. I would then call the police and have him arrested and hope the dogs can be sent to a good owner.

Bad idea! If you call the cops you will be going to jail. All the police and the judge will see is a man who drew his handgun on a man walking his dogs on a leash. Remember at that point it's your word against his and you're the one holding the gun.

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'm not real thrilled with the Pit Bull bred, but it's there, and like all pet owners, there are good ones and bad ones. While out walking my two dogs on leashes (as required by county law) I happened upon a group of young people smoking cigarettes and generally not holding on to the end of the chrome logging chain that served as a leash on their Pitt Bull.

There was probably about 30-40yds between us, but their dog being unrestrained, quickly closed the distance while the youngsters just stood there. I asked them if they had control of their dog, they replied that it "Wouldn't hurt anyone". I supposed if it had, it would be in the shelter waiting euthanasia. My hand was on my firearm as I requested them to gain control of it. I don't think they saw it, and thought I was a jerk, but it doesn't take two seconds before dogs decide they don't get along and are fighting, and it is easier to seperate them if you already have control of them. Fact is, there are a lot of irresponsible dog owners out there. Unfortunately, many of them gravitate to Pit Bulls because of the "Image" they represent, and Pit Bulls have garnered a bad reputation because of this and perhaps their nature. Alot more so them Chocolate Labs and Golden Retrievers.

In the OP, I would just keep walking and be aware of were this person lived for future reference. If I was out jogging, I would be armed after this, because all too often, a dog like this will "get loose", and come running after you on the public way.

Lanser

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Evansville
    Assuming that the threat to life has been firmly established (as in, there is good reason to think that the guy is serious and about to do it), the dogs are the first target. They are the immediate threat.

Even if the guy has a gun, he won't have drawn it yet (he's too busy controlling the dogs and yelling at you), and he won't until he realizes that the dogs aren't going to cut it. That gives you a little extra time with him. The dogs, on the other hand, are dangerous right now. Shoot them first, and don't be stingy with ammo!

Top Bottom