• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    a tip is supposed to be your way of thanking a server for a job well done. not you having to pay the staff because the restraunt doesnt want to. I for one, dont tip if I am making my own plate, or if I have to wait for too long for a refill. I dont tip for "average service" sorry, call me an a__hole. Im already paying for the meal, Im not paying extra unless I get extra.

No offense, but go fast food if you aren't going to tip.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    But using your example they are doing just that, there is no set tip schedule in Manhattan and they are driving BMWs. They must be good at their job and therefore earned those perks.

I don't get what someone else owns has anything to do with mandating a 25% tip.

In any event, my fault for starting an argument. In principal everyone on here seems to agree a mandated set pct is a bad idea.

Dude, this is ingo, any opening post is highly likely to start an "discussion". Why do you think we all sit around all day waiting to pounce on a good one?:laugh:

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I lived in Japan for 10 years, you don't tip in Japan, its considered an insult...

Just Sayin......

Black_Wolf

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Northwest Ind
    But using your example they are doing just that, there is no set tip schedule in Manhattan and they are driving BMWs. They must be good at their job and therefore earned those perks.

I don't get what someone else owns has anything to do with mandating a 25% tip.

In any event, my fault for starting an argument. In principal everyone on here seems to agree a mandated set pct is a bad idea.

My point was that many waiters and food service people make very good wages.

The misconception that they are low paid and rely on tips to get by is just that, a misconception in many cases.

A tip, as said before is a reward for good service and should not be expected, let alone mandated into the price of the meal and just because you work there.

Manhattan has gratuity added to the bill in a high percentage of restaurants. It may not be a state wide, but it is there and common throughout weschester, putnam, nassau, rockland and well into connecticut.

I have paid and not paid it many many times based on the service received.

And it's no prob as I dont see this as an argument but more of a discussion.

All good here.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    How about we do away with gratuity altogether and just pay servers a living wage?

I completely agree with Scutter! Our daughter is a server at one of the local eateries, and their base bay for being a server is $2.15 an hour. They live off their tips, and usually bust their ass to provide as best possible service they can.

Yea, you food may not be done quite the say you wanted it, you may have to wait a bit for a refill of what you're drinking, but you're not their only table either. Ours has served 4 5-tops at once, along with her regular tables, and occasionally bar-tends at the same time.

They really work harder than most people imagine, it's definitely NOT an easy job! And you know the old saying, "You can't please all of the people all of the time". The ones where they really take a beating on, are if they're stiffed and not even given the usual 20% tip.

Keep in mind they have the same expenses the rest of us do, but don't have health care, or any of the other benefits that a "normal" job provides as standard perks.

So please keep that in mind the next time you're out. If you get a really bad server, make a note to tell the manager, or consider they might just be a :n00b:, learning their way around. Ours has been doing it for several years, and barely makes it from month to month without running out of money before she runs out of month.

Bill and I always give at least a 20% tip, and if the person's really busted their ass to give us exceptional service, we've been known to leave a 50 to 75% tip. Just cuz we understand their situation.

Oh and a little bit of info to share about tipping. If you wait and give the server actual cash, and don't add it onto your credit card, tell them it's a "Gift". As a Gift, and not a Tip, it's not taxable, and they don't have to claim it on their taxes, or share it with the other employees, like the people who buss your table, seat you, and bartend if you have drinks. And yes, they do have to share. So we always go out of our way to "Gift" our server, just as an added perk.

Regards,
    7th Stepper

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I can remember when a 10% tip was generous.
    but in todays world I still hold the tip hostage to service. If the food and service are exceptional I don't have a problem with 20-25% or even more.
    On the other hand tips are optional they should not be required and especially not at a set rate.
    So what about you take a group of 8 or more to your fav rest. and they ad 15% automatically. You should have expected that it's standard practice and if you didn't expect to leave a tip of that magnitude maybe you should have gone to Mickey D or Chucky Cheeses.
    :twocents:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I completely agree with Scutter! Our daughter is a server at one of the local eateries, and their base bay for being a server is $2.15 an hour. They live off their tips, and usually bust their ass to provide as best possible service they can.

Yea, you food may not be done quite the say you wanted it, you may have to wait a bit for a refill of what you're drinking, but you're not their only table either. Ours has served 4 5-tops at once, along with her regular tables, and occasionally bar-tends at the same time.

They really work harder than most people imagine, it's definitely NOT an easy job! And you know the old saying, "You can't please all of the people all of the time". The ones where they really take a beating on, are if they're stiffed and not even given the usual 20% tip.

Keep in mind they have the same expenses the rest of us do, but don't have health care, or any of the other benefits that a "normal" job provides as standard perks.

So please keep that in mind the next time you're out. If you get a really bad server, make a note to tell the manager, or consider they might just be a :n00b:, learning their way around. Ours has been doing it for several years, and barely makes it from month to month without running out of money before she runs out of month.

Bill and I always give at least a 20% tip, and if the person's really busted their ass to give us exceptional service, we've been known to leave a 50 to 75% tip. Just cuz we understand their situation.

Oh and a little bit of info to share about tipping. If you wait and give the server actual cash, and don't add it onto your credit card, tell them it's a "Gift". As a Gift, and not a Tip, it's not taxable, and they don't have to claim it on their taxes, or share it with the other employees, like the people who buss your table, seat you, and bartend if you have drinks. And yes, they do have to share. So we always go out of our way to "Gift" our server, just as an added perk.

Regards,
    7th Stepper

In general servers do not declare any cash tips and if they work in a restaurant that requires them to do so they only declare a fraction of them. That is why they are taxed on 15% of their credit card sales rather they get tipped appropriately on them or not, as started here.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/173600-mandatory_25_tip_fair-4.html#post2248952

nawainwright

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    New Hampshire
    :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I'm feelin the groove. I posted this and then went out to lunch and had the worst service in months. It was before the lunch rush. There were 4 occupied tables in the entire Applebees. Our waitress ignored us, she never once asked how our food was, stood in the back and talked with her friends. The tables around us ordered more expensive items (steaks, appetizers, etc) while we grabbed a couple lunch specials (totaling $14). She gave mediocre service to those around us, but we were beyond ignored. I not only didn't leave a tip, but I explained why on the receipt. "Slow service, You ignored us, the tables around us garnered more attn than we did"

I tip generously when its deserved, and I will emphasize WHEN ITS DESERVED. Deserved = earned. Today the waitress "earned" $0 in tips from me. There have been numerous times where I have tipped well over 20%. It was to waitresses/waiters who built relationships, who worked hard to make sure we were treated well, and who were kind. Just a couple of months ago I went to a Dave's BBQ (it was outside the Cabelas that I had just bought a 357 lever). Wife and I grabbed a appetizer platter to give us something to tide us over on the 1hr drive home. It was 40 minutes before our food showed up, ridiculously inexcusable. The waitress complained to the manager, told her that we were furious and then came over and coached us to act furious (we were, but often I'm too polite). She got the whole thing comp'd, had the manager bribe us with free food, and a $10 gift certificate. I asked her for the bill so I could tip, she told me that since there was no charge, there wasn't a way could tip on my credit card (no cash, just bought a rifle). I bought a dessert for the specific purpose of tipping the gal and then gave her the WHOLE PRICE of the meal I had tried to purchase. When exceptional service is given, exceptional rewards are given. I not only bought more, I tipped 100%. That is what a tip is. :rockwoot:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    a tip is supposed to be your way of thanking a server for a job well done. not you having to pay the staff because the restraunt doesnt want to. I for one, dont tip if I am making my own plate, or if I have to wait for too long for a refill. I dont tip for "average service" sorry, call me an a__hole. Im already paying for the meal, Im not paying extra unless I get extra.

As someone else said, go to a fast food place then. That's repugnant.

When I sit down at a table, the server starts at 20%. It can go up or down depending on the service. Usually by the end of the meal they get 20%. I've got no problem tipping 25% for good service. In fact I'm happy to encounter such enthusiastic servers, it contributes to a positive dining experience.

If I have to "make my own plate", 15% is my starting point. Servers still have to handle drinks and clearing my plates and other chores. I will admit in a buffet situation, most times the tip comes out closer to 10% if the only time I ever saw them was when I initially sat down.

I waited tables back when I was going thru school. $2.13 an hour is crap. I worked fine dining which requires an insane amount of setup and resetting. I also made good money, a Fri or Sat night I'd easily go home with $150-$200 in cash. I also worked my @$$ off for that money and that was after tipping out the bar and bussers.

Scutter, I'm sorry you had such a horrible experience as a busy boy. I always gave my busser at least 10% of what I made and I would usually give them extra on top of it for being on top of my tables. They would usually fight to get assigned to my tables and they busted their butts for me.

Usually in fine dining, the severs who stiff their busy boys doesn't last long.

WIth all that said, I would completely oppose a 25% mandatory tip (except maybe for people named jason).

As it stands, sometimes when we go out with friends 18% is added on even though neither of our checks hit the 6 person mark. I won't tip extra in that case unless service was stellar. When I was a waiter it was left to the servers discretion to add the 18% or not. In most cases I wouldn't add it. Rarely if ever did I get less than 18% in those cases.

Bottom line is, if you can't afford the tip, you shouldn't be eating there.

Anyone who claims to be a conservative should love the fact that servers are paid on a performance based system.

Tipping for service at a restaurant is culturally embedded in our society and goes back centuries. If someone doesn't like it, either they shouldn't eat out or they should find another country for their cheap @$$ to live in.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I'm feelin the groove. I posted this and then went out to lunch and had the worst service in months. It was before the lunch rush. There were 4 occupied tables in the entire Applebees. Our waitress ignored us, she never once asked how our food was, stood in the back and talked with her friends. The tables around us ordered more expensive items (steaks, appetizers, etc) while we grabbed a couple lunch specials (totaling $14). She gave mediocre service to those around us, but we were beyond ignored. I not only didn't leave a tip, but I explained why on the receipt. "Slow service, You ignored us, the tables around us garnered more attn than we did"

I tip generously when its deserved, and I will emphasize WHEN ITS DESERVED. Deserved = earned. Today the waitress "earned" $0 in tips from me. There have been numerous times where I have tipped well over 20%. It was to waitresses/waiters who built relationships, who worked hard to make sure we were treated well, and who were kind. Just a couple of months ago I went to a Dave's BBQ (it was outside the Cabelas that I had just bought a 357 lever). Wife and I grabbed a appetizer platter to give us something to tide us over on the 1hr drive home. It was 40 minutes before our food showed up, ridiculously inexcusable. The waitress complained to the manager, told her that we were furious and then came over and coached us to act furious (we were, but often I'm too polite). She got the whole thing comp'd, had the manager bribe us with free food, and a $10 gift certificate. I asked her for the bill so I could tip, she told me that since there was no charge, there wasn't a way could tip on my credit card (no cash, just bought a rifle). I bought a dessert for the specific purpose of tipping the gal and then gave her the WHOLE PRICE of the meal I had tried to purchase. When exceptional service is given, exceptional rewards are given. I not only bought more, I tipped 100%. That is what a tip is. :rockwoot:

This is due in part to the McDonaldization of society..

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008

So, wait, you stiff all those other poor schlubs who are working at least as hard to serve you as your waitress does but get paid WAY WAY less? You should see my busboy post a few posts back. We had to work pretty freaking hard for our piddly little 5-cent tip.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    In general servers do not declare any cash tips and if they work in a restaurant that requires them to do so they only declare a fraction of them. That is why they are taxed on 15% of their credit card sales rather they get tipped appropriately on them or not, as started here.
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/173600-mandatory_25_tip_fair-4.html#post2248952

I know, but ours prefers to be honest about it, that way there's less trouble when tax time rolls around. She's not the only server who declares all their cash tips, but she's one of a very few who declares ALL of her tips. Except from us. We "tip" her at the restaurant, then give her the rest next time she's over. Saves on the hassle that way, and we know she gets to keep it all. And the norm is 20%, not 15%. That got upped a few years ago.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I know, but ours prefers to be honest about it, that way there's less trouble when tax time rolls around. She's not the only server who declares all their cash tips, but she's one of a very few who declares ALL of her tips. Except from us. We "tip" her at the restaurant, then give her the rest next time she's over. Saves on the hassle that way, and we know she gets to keep it all. And the norm is 20%, not 15%. That got upped a few years ago.

This is debatable most servers I know expect 15% as the norm while expecting more from regulars or others in the food service industry. Myself I always tip big unless I get ****ty service, its also not uncommon for me to send a little something to the back of the house as well. There is nothing that will ensure you have an exemplary experience more than if the next time you come in the servers fight over whose section your going to be seated in and the chef remembers the single malt you sent him as thanks for a wonderful meal.

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    So, wait, you stiff all those other poor schlubs who are working at least as hard to serve you as your waitress does but get paid WAY WAY less? You should see my busboy post a few posts back. We had to work pretty freaking hard for our piddly little 5-cent tip.

:): No Scutter, you know us better than that. We're usually good tippers, and the servers fight to get to have us sit in their sections. We tip according to service as well, but never leave less than 15%, regardless.

We ate at one restaurant a while back, that had to qualify as the worst food we've ever eaten! A can of Purina ONE would have been better, if fried and a little garlic added. We still tipped the server, but did make our feelings known to the manager. We ended up getting my meal for free, and only had to pay for Bills.

But it wasn't the servers fault, one of the cooks had called off at the last moment and the "manager" of that area had taken over trying to help. He also felt really bad that "the evening special" was about as awful as we've ever tried to eat. It wasn't even worthy of bringing home to our dogs!

$2.15 is the average where our daughter works and has worked, but the finer the restaurant, the higher the servers are paid. Plus she makes quite a bit more, both in wage and in tips when she bartends. She has "regulars" that come in to see her personally, and if she's not working that shift, they'll walk out without having ordered anything. The rate each position is paid varies from what they're doing. Hosts are generally paid $8.00 and hour, bartenders a bit more, servers less, and the bussers are the low man on the totempole. Ours also has bussers fighting to be assigned to her stations, as she shares quite well with them, even if we do gift her. They're going to be hard pressed when she leaves most likely when the work slows down after the 1st of the year.

She's made us proud and "moved on" to a more rewarding field, one that we NEVER would have guessed that she'd be interested in. Her 2nd job at the moment is doing "Assisted Living for the Mentally Challenged", and has passed all her courses with flying colors. Her boss loves her, and her dedication to "my boys", the 4 who she's assigned to, which are far older, and far taller than she is.

But unlike the other "caregivers" there, she isn't satisfied with just letting them snooze or "ozone" in their chairs. She gets them involved with the activities that are available, and help them get motivated. Plus she has the patience of a Saint. She has to, she's been my caregiver for many years. But she's never shown an interest in the Medical Field of any sort before now, even tho both parents work (or worked in my case) there.

She's just started going to school now to get her CNA, then in the fall after she's 24, she won't have to claim our household income as a part of hers as well, and is planing on attending Nursing School to become an RN.

And she LOVES what she's doing! As far as servers go, the ones who give out the crappy service are a HUGE PITA to the other servers as well, who end up doing a lot of their side work, just because the customer deserves it. I swear, some of these places hire the most mentally challenged people they can find, and I'm NOT talking about a legit condition, they're just LAZY!

It makes the ones who do take their jobs seriously VERY angry at them not only for the lack of service they provide, but for the inept way they handle their customers. A bad server can give an entire restaurant a bad name. Which hurts ALL the employees, not just the customers.

We're pretty usual at the 20% mark, but if we get better service, we generally tip better, same goes for awful service, altho we usually still leave a 15% tip, we DO mention it to the manager, so that the lazy ones don't last long. If they don't want to serve to the best of their ability, then they really need to find a job in another line of work.

At McD's, BK, Arbys an the like, we usually hit the drive-thru, and the old line comes into play almost EVERY time. So we pull off to the side and check our order, and 9 times out of 10, they've messed something up. Even our pizza delivery place can't get it right half the time! It sometimes feels like we're surrounded by a world full of "nincompoops!"

But no, we never stiff anyone, usually it's the other way around. And we don't hesitate to speak up if our service is less than acceptable.

Mrs_Frost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011
    This is the best solution. The problem is the folks out there who either don't tip, or leave a dollar. The staff is already being paid next to nothing and a lot of times expected to share tips with other staff members like servers and hostesses. These places are now trying to force customers to pay their staffs' wages. I was under the impression that the idea of a gratuity is to reward someone for service above and beyond the norm, not a mandatory expectation added to the bill. It drove me nuts out in Las Vegas when fast food type places had tip jars out. What exactly did you do extra for me besides put my hamburger on the tray?

By the way, I've never worked in the food industry so maybe there is more to it than what I've been told.

I worked in the food industry and I made great tips but I worked darn hard for them and I hated when they added tips into the bill. It really does hurt the waitress I made good tips because of my work and I made considerably less when the tip was added in. We didn't have to share our tips if we did our own work but if we wanted help we had to pay for it. It wasn't all bad but I'm very glad I'm not in the food industry anymore.

Top Bottom