• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Like so many of his generation he grew up "fighting the man" only because he really wanted to become the man. He became the man and his constituents were none the better for it.

I'll always remember him walking down the street arm in arm with Pelosi laughing at the peasants as they were ringing in Obamascare. Not a good memory.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    It's almost as if there's no reason to mourn the death of a parasite who did little more than leech off of and destroy the society that fed him.

Care to qualify that statement? It's a general belief but it lacks specifics. I don't know much about Elijah Cummings, but I'm becoming inclined to look into his history to determine the veracity of many of the previous posts.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Dude..... Seriously?
    He was a big fat racist. He's like the Maxine Waters of Baltimore. Look him up, it's fun.

Divide and control. That's not what America is suppose to be about.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Dude..... Seriously?
    He was a big fat racist. He's like the Maxine Waters of Baltimore. Look him up, it's fun.

Divide and control. That's not what America is suppose to be about.

I googled "Elijah Cumming Racist," and got nothing to indicate such... well other than a tweet from "you know who" stating:
    "If racist Elijah Cummings would focus more of his energy on helping the good people of his district, and Baltimore itself, perhaps progress could be made in fixing the mess that he has helped to create over many years of incompetent leadership. His radical 'oversight' is a joke!"

I admittedly don't know where that accusation comes from, so if you could direct me, it would be appreciated. If not, I'll just assume you took your lead from the president, and decided not to look further.

Clay Pigeon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    Summitville
    I googled "Elijah Cumming Racist," and got nothing to indicate such... well other than a tweet from "you know who" stating:

I admittedly don't know where that accusation comes from, so if you could direct me, it would be appreciated. If not, I'll just assume you took your lead from the president, and decided not to look further.

Its hard to imagine that Google would say nothing put nice things about a black congressman thats lived his life in Baltimore, and also happens to be a democrat... .
    If you want unbiased information about Mr Cummings, As a Md boy that spent a few years working in East and West Baltimore, seek what you look for in the Baltimore Sun and The Afro American newspapers.
    If you want to see what the great Elisha Cummings did for Baltimore, Next vacation, park your car at Camden Yards and hike up into Pigtown and through West Baltimore... Stay to the west side or Martin Luther King Blvd.
    I'll clue you, its not the mean streets of Carmel...

Last edited:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Its hard to imagine that Google would say nothing put nice things about a black congressman thats lived his life in Baltimore, and also happens to be a democrat... .
    If you want unbiased information about Mr Cummings, As a Md boy that spent a few years working in East and West Baltimore, seek what you look for in the Baltimore Sun and The Afro American newspapers.
    If you want to see what the great Elisha Cummings did for Baltimore, Next vacation, park your car at Camden Yards and hike up into Pigtown and through West Baltimore... Stay to the west side or Martin Luther King Blvd.
    I'll clue you, its not the mean streets of Carmel...

That still doesn't quite answer the question. Sure, he may have been a horrible government official, but that's not what we're talking about.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Cummings chaired and was a member of an organization which excludes individuals from membership unless they are of a certain race. A racist by definition.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Cummings chaired and was a member of an organization which excludes individuals from membership unless they are of a certain race. A racist by definition.

So the Congressional Hispanic Caucus (a GOP group BTW) and Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, are too racist, right?

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    tenor.gif

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So the Congressional Hispanic Caucus (a GOP group BTW) and Congressional Asian Pacific American Caucus, are too racist, right?

You've stopped making sense. By your lights a Congressional White Caucus, where people with no other similarity than that they are caucasian group together because their issues are supposedly governed by their whiteness, would be just fine

But you and I both know that wouldn't play out that way, and the reason is underpinned by the canard that the oppressed can't be racist only white people can. The very idea that all black legislators (or asian or whatever) must have common interests is racist at its heart because it judges suitability for membership by the melanin content of their skin not the content of their character. You can say it is to increase the overall power of their votes; but again, you know how it would be played if people who shared no other commonality except their white skin overtly banded together to increase their voting power

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    You've stopped making sense. By your lights a Congressional White Caucus, where people with no other similarity than that they are caucasian group together because their issues are supposedly governed by their whiteness, would be just fine

But you and I both know that wouldn't play out that way, and the reason is underpinned by the canard that the oppressed can't be racist only white people can. The very idea that all black legislators (or asian or whatever) must have common interests is racist at its heart because it judges suitability for membership by the melanin content of their skin not the content of their character. You can say it is to increase the overall power of their votes; but again, you know how it would be played if people who shared no other commonality except their white skin overtly banded together to increase their voting power

Whoa there Bug, where did I say that I agreed with such organizations? Here's a hint, I don't. I simply asked if he viewed the others as racist too. However to say that there was never a place for such organizations, in congress, is false.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Agreed, there was a time when such legislators were few and far between and needed to magnify what little power they had. But like China and 'developing country' status, sometimes groups need to be nudged to admit the days of favored status need to end sometime. Take off the training wheels and ride

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Hispanic isn't a race, it's more of a culture. Which identifies the real issue here. I doubt they exclude people because of skin color; it's probably more about whether they have a Hispanic ethnicity, which includes Spanish speaking people with white skin. It's not racist, per se, to caucus by culture. Asian Pacific American Caucus I'm not familiar with, but I would imagine it's a similar thing. If it's exclusionary, I imagine that because it's Asian Pacific, they likely they might exclude other Asians who aren't Asian Pacific. I don't think it's necessarily racist for the Black Caucus to form a group which excludes non-Blacks, because there's more than just skin color about that. Not just is there culture involved, but because blacks have been historically oppressed, and have specific issues that necessitate specific representation, it seems reasonable for them to caucus together.

However, I'll also say this. We will know when we've turned the corner on race when there no longer needs to be a black caucus, but I don't know if that can be a fair barometer because there seems to be some people who gain power from the need, so I suspect they might work to make sure the need is always evident.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Correct.

Evidence Cummings was a racist was requested.

Evidence Cummings was a racist was given.

I don't think very highly of Cummings. He seems like a lot of the Black leaders who have something to gain by something similar to a civil rights industrial complex. But I haven't seen a lot of evidence that he's racist, per se. I think it was all about the industry of fighting oppression, which was sometimes needed but often not. For example, the oppression industry was not what we needed to resolve the issue of Trayvon Martin, or Michael Brown. We just needed the legal system to work it out, which it eventually did, despite these leaders injecting themselves to further the need for their existence. That's not racism. That's opportunism.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hispanic isn't a race, it's more of a culture. Which identifies the real issue here. I doubt they exclude people because of skin color; it's probably more about whether they have a Hispanic ethnicity, which includes Spanish speaking people with white skin. It's not racist, per se, to caucus by culture. Asian Pacific American Caucus I'm not familiar with, but I would imagine it's a similar thing. If it's exclusionary, I imagine that because it's Asian Pacific, they likely they might exclude other Asians who aren't Asian Pacific. I don't think it's necessarily racist for the Black Caucus to form a group which excludes non-Blacks, because there's more than just skin color about that. Not just is there culture involved, but because blacks have been historically oppressed, and have specific issues that necessitate specific representation, it seems reasonable for them to caucus together.

However, I'll also say this. We will know when we've turned the corner on race when there no longer needs to be a black caucus, but I don't know if that can be a fair barometer because there seems to be some people who gain power from the need, so I suspect they might work to make sure the need is always evident.

Not race-related, but this is precisely what those advocating for elimination of the Electoral College fail to understand. People not living in the major urban centers have "specific issues that necessitate specific representation". That is why the EC exists.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Not race-related, but this is precisely what those advocating for elimination of the Electoral College fail to understand. People not living in the major urban centers have "specific issues that necessitate specific representation". That is why the EC exists.
    Yes, that’s a good point. I don’t know if there’s a rural caucus or not. But I could see where one would be useful.

In terms of EC, the complaint from people in densely populated states is the fact that rural states get more representation is unfair. But, imposing urban sensibilities on rural states is unfair. The federal system where the EC attempts to protect rural people from laws that make more sense for urban environments but make no sense for rural, is the best compromise. You want urban kinds of laws, you pass them in your urban state. And leave other people the **** alone.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    florez30
    Top Bottom