McCain planning his funeral... Trump not invited...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Yeah...

I've known people I was glad when they moved on, others I was glad they finally retired. There have been many politicians that I rejoiced when they lost their races or retired. But celebrating in someone's death strikes me as unseemly.

I’d rather McCain finished his career because he lost public support rather than because he lost his health.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    He should have let it go a long time ago. Addiction to power is as bad as any street drug. It is so obvious he lived only for this.

Yeah, he certainly enjoyed being a career politician... but, to be honest, the vast majority of them do.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    The people of Arizona must've thought he was doing something right.

Their vote. Their decision.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

If Arizona is anything like Indiana, he gets elected every time because of the ‘R’ and because he’s the incumbent. The only way to get rid of him is like the way we gor rid of Lugar. Have the Democrats help an unelectable candidate beat the incumbent ‘R’ in primaries so that their Democrat can win. So it’s not as simple as “the people chose”. There are a lot of practical things that constrain choice.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

If Arizona is anything like Indiana, he gets elected every time because of the ‘R’ and because he’s the incumbent. The only way to get rid of him is like the way we gor rid of Lugar. Have the Democrats help an unelectable candidate beat the incumbent ‘R’ in primaries so that their Democrat can win. So it’s not as simple as “the people chose”. There are a lot of practical things that constrain choice.

I gotta imagine how pitiful the democrat alternatives were over the years to not attract enough republicans to unseat this guy. Donnelly proves that at least in Indiana, when the stinch gets too much (whether real, perceived, or drummed up), they'll give the guy in the other party a chance.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I gotta imagine how pitiful the democrat alternatives were over the years to not attract enough republicans to unseat this guy. Donnelly proves that at least in Indiana, when the stench gets too much (whether real, perceived, or drummed up), they'll give the guy in the other party a chance.

I see it differently - If it would have been Donnelly v. Lugar, we'd still be (R). The general populace was happy with Lugar, but the hard right wing of the party didn't want the public to get their choice. In other words, there were plenty of democrats and flip-flop voters who would vote for Lugar, but couldn't stomach Murrdock.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Classy is as classy does. :)

Exactly.

I found the remark regarding Sarah Palin to be particularly classless. She continued to speak highly of him after much difficulty caused by he and his staff who wanted her as a prop rather than a VP candidate, especially after she brought the only real boost to the campaign after the media got done carrying him through the primary as easy meat for Obama.

Jcfx4Ob.jpg

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I see it differently - If it would have been Donnelly v. Lugar, we'd still be (R). The general populace was happy with Lugar, but the hard right wing of the party didn't want the public to get their choice. In other words, there were plenty of democrats and flip-flop voters who would vote for Lugar, but couldn't stomach Murrdock.

Oh I agree. Had it been Lugar v Donnelly, most would have voted for Lugar, probably even me.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Luger was basicly the same as Donnelly. That was the point of getting rid of luger. The Republican party wanted to be little *****es and not support Mourdock and thats why he lost overall. He flubbed some at the end but if he would have had the support of the party who's ticket he was on he would have won.
    Was luke messer the Republican state chairman during all that? I cant remember but it wouldnt surprise me. The leadership of the Republican party is exactly why people want change. Same with democrats.
    Indiana state politics is not about the candidate whose best for the state and the people, it's about which candidate either sucked enough blue or red poles or will push the party agenda the hardest and most true to the letter. Its very sad that people put party over state and country. That's why I stopped being directly involved in politics.
    I voted for rokita today because voting for messer is basicly like voting for a john McCain in Indiana.

Last edited:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Someone please refresh my memory on Mourdock and the big hubbub at the end.
    I can't remember, was it a "morality" play that the dems use constantly?

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis

X ring.

The Democrats didn’t put Donnelly in office. The fringe right of the Republican Party did.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

He made a comment about a hot issue (rape & abortion), but instead of saying what he actually meant, he said something that enraged a lot of people. It was a really stupid thing to do, but shouldn't have been enough to sink a campaign at that point.

He said this:

I know there are some who disagree and I respect their point of view but I believe that life begins at conception. The only exception I have to have an abortion is in that case of the life of the mother. I just struggled with it myself for a long time but I came to realize: Life is that gift from God that I think even if life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that it is something that God intended to happen.

So people naturally interpreted that as him saying that God actually intended for a woman to be raped. What he meant was that he believes that the conception itself would be God's will. For some, that's a small distinction. For some, it's a huge, gaping, grand canyon of a distinction. Unfortunately, after he said it, he failed to recover in any meaningful way.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

It was a gotcha question about Abortion, which, of course, Mourdock had to answer with utmost awkward honesty. He made his answer spinnable into "God meant that rape to happen."

Of course that wasn't his actual answer. I remember watching the debate. It was a cringy answer, but not as bad as the spin they put on it.

Top Bottom