• ...and so much more!
  • DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    As long as the range at Atterbury is open, thats where I will be doing the majority of my shooting. Phil, thanks for bringing in the reloading components and keeping prices very reasonable. Nice to see someone isn't running the range to fund an early retirement like the folks before you took over.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Thanks for supporting the shooting community with a well run range Phil. I have been shooting at MCF&G a lot lately since it's closer for me, but still do rifles at Atterbury. The range is definitely run support for shooters in mind.

The only thing I can think of that would be nice to see is to allow customers to hang their own steel at the 100 yard range. When shooting with irons, I'd love to be able to ring steel instead of poking holes in paper that my older eyes have trouble seeing.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    The only thing I can think of that would be nice to see is to allow customers to hang their own steel at the 100 yard range. When shooting with irons, I'd love to be able to ring steel instead of poking holes in paper that my older eyes have trouble seeing.

Agreed... without a spotting scope, shooting at distance with iron sights is a game of guess work for my old eyes as well. But plinking on steel, now that's another story. I was ringing the steel at MCF&G with my 15-22 a few days ago, and would love to do the same with my AR somewhere.

doublebarrel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Sep 26, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Ever since I got my AR, I've been going to Atterbury a lot more often. And after ECPR closed for winter, I shot at Atterbury almost every Saturday, like yesterday(12/31). I've never seen the ROs picking on someone for picking up the brass (they actually ask us to pick up the brass, "also shooters are responsible for picking up your brass. We appreciate it". They say this every time range goes cold). The rules are strict, like when the range is cold, no one is allowed to come near the shooting bench ("Get off the bench!", you hear this quite often, as someone just can't follow the rules the first time they were told. I was, once)...

I actually can understand and appreciate they enforce the safety rules like that. I've been to Wilbur Wright range before. Talk about scary, that IS a scary place to shoot. There is usually one RO at Wilbur, but he doesn't do anything for safety. People handle their guns, point it down range, etc. when other guys are replacing target...

The only thing I'd like to see changing, is allowing fast shooting. Atterbuy want you to shoot one shot per second. You can't practice self defense kind of shooting like at ECPR. Another maybe allowing us to stick a swinging steel target in the ground. ECPR already allows this...

For $6 an hour (they allow lane sharing, so me and my wife together still cost the same. ECPR should adopt this policy), and with rifle lanes, Atterbury will be my shooting range for a long long time in future...

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have been shooting there for the last two years. Sometimes 2-3 times a week. I see some people gripe and such. However, I have never seen actions that they claimed have happened. Everyone has been nothing but friendly toward me. Where I'm located I do not have many choices. I was glad when Atterbury under went new management. Keep up the good work and look forward to a new season of shooting.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Ever since I got my AR, I've been going to Atterbury a lot more often. And after ECPR closed for winter, I shot at Atterbury almost every Saturday, like yesterday(12/31). I've never seen the ROs picking on someone for picking up the brass (they actually ask us to pick up the brass, "also shooters are responsible for picking up your brass. We appreciate it". They say this every time range goes cold). The rules are strict, like when the range is cold, no one is allowed to come near the shooting bench ("Get off the bench!", you hear this quite often, as someone just can't follow the rules the first time they were told. I was, once)...

I actually can understand and appreciate they enforce the safety rules like that. I've been to Wilbur Wright range before. Talk about scary, that IS a scary place to shoot. There is usually one RO at Wilbur, but he doesn't do anything for safety. People handle their guns, point it down range, etc. when other guys are replacing target...

The only thing I'd like to see changing, is allowing fast shooting. Atterbuy want you to shoot one shot per second. You can't practice self defense kind of shooting like at ECPR. Another maybe allowing us to stick a swinging steel target in the ground. ECPR already allows this...

For $6 an hour (they allow lane sharing, so me and my wife together still cost the same. ECPR should adopt this policy), and with rifle lanes, Atterbury will be my shooting range for a long long time in future...

They follow rules set forth by the DNR, the property is leased. So, it would have to be taken up with the DNR.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My wife and I were there yesterday, and had a great time. We practiced with our pistols, and then put a few rounds thru the M1 carbine. I can say this about Atterbury.... I had a friend from Illinois tell me that he was envious that we had such a beautiful, safe range for outdoor shooting. He told me this after we had spent some time shooting there recently.
    Deb and I are proud to consider it our "home range" and we intend to continue to support it. :yesway:

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I'm with schafe in this, my Dad is retired Chicago PD, prior to his retirement he was in R&D and part of committee that approved firearms for department use and they tested everything extensively so it involved a lot of range time. My Dad has said what a nice facility atterbury is.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    It is my goal this year to get there more often. I kinda miss being able to take pop cans and milk jugs filled with water, but if not being able to do so means the moron can't bring his cast iron tub and put it a 50 yds I'm okay with that.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I will not be returning to the Atterbury Shooting Complex for any reason. The range officers leave a bad taste in your mouth and like to make a spectacle of anyone they can.

I just started reloading and while picking up my brass, an officer runs down and over the loud speaker (while standing right in front of me) yells at me that I am only allowed to pick up my own brass and no one else's. I thought I had only picked up what was mine because all my brass was still warm. Maybe I'm wrong and while he was on the other end of the complex, he saw something I didn't.

It's your right to run it the way you choose but my right to not return.

Whatever DB....:xmad::xmad:

Phil is as honest as the day is long. I know how he runs his business, you're full of crap.

This is why we need neg rep back....;)

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It has been several years since I have been to Atterbury. Where is the range located?

Veer off to your right (northwest) just west of the "Camp Atterbury" rock which is located at the top of the hill. The range will be on your right. The winter hours are 12:00 - dark on Tuesday and Friday and 10:00 - dark on Saturday and Sunday.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Some people just can't handle being told what to do by anyone. You really have to wonder if they were ever in the military and how long they lasted if they were.

Very true. We where not allowed to even touch a weapon until told so by the RO when we qualified, and we where considered to be professionals.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Veer off to your right (northwest) just west of the "Camp Atterbury" rock which is located at the top of the hill. The range will be on your right. The winter hours are 12:00 - dark on Tuesday and Friday and 10:00 - dark on Saturday and Sunday.

I believe that's Hospital Road which intersects with 252 to the east coming from Edinburgh or 31/252 if you are coming from Franklin. I was pretty involved with the RC club at JCP and I think every mapping site calls it something different LOL

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    It's off of Hospital Road.

You know, after umpteen years I finally realized that "Hospital Road" actually ends there at the top of the hill. The road which the range is located on is actually "Edinburgh Street", and it's also "Edinburgh Street" on out to US31. Before Camp Atterbury was built in 1942, the road all the way through (from Edinburgh to Nineveh) was SR252. When the post was built, 252 was re-routed north (with US31) and then west to Trafalgar (as it is today).

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    You know, after umpteen years I finally realized that "Hospital Road" actually ends there at the top of the hill. The road which the range is located on is actually "Edinburgh Street", and it's also "Edinburgh Street" on out to US31. Before Camp Atterbury was built in 1942, the road all the way through (from Edinburgh to Nineveh) was SR252. When the post was built, 252 was re-routed north (with US31) and then west to Trafalgar (as it is today).

I think it's also labeled as CR800 and Edinburgh Street is Mauxferry on the north end? We always had guys that were coming to race at JCP that would get lost because we would say a road by one name and then they would map it and it was called something else.

Top Bottom