• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dcahsr23

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I like the range with the sound activated clay pigeons. I would shoot more if it was a little cheaper. Rifle and pistol range is pretty awesome. Cant do full mags dumps anymore but this range setup helps keeps the crazies away. I give it 8.5 out of 10. will be back.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I think it's also labeled as CR800 and Edinburgh Street is Mauxferry on the north end? We always had guys that were coming to race at JCP that would get lost because we would say a road by one name and then they would map it and it was called something else.

Yeah, from the light at 31 to where the old gate used to be (just east of the Sugar Creek bridge) it's 800S. Mauxferry Road is the one which runs due north just west of the rock, and Edinburgh Street veers off to the northwest just west of that.

Mauxferry Road has kind of an interesting history. It was built to run from Maukport (or "Mauk's Ferry") down on the Ohio, to the newly-built state capitol in Indianapolis. Several years ago, the post engineers were rebuilding a section of it down on the military side, and turned up remains of some of the old logs which were used to "corduroy" the road back in the early 1800's.

woundedyak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    SouthSide
    I've only been shooting at the complex for about a year. Every time I go it's a blast! The staff and shooters are top notch. The guy in the lane next to me last week had a beautiful 1867 colt replica that shot 44mag long. At the time, I didn't know what it was and started to ask questions about it. Before he finished answering the first question, He handed it too me with a fresh box of reloads. It was one of the best triggers I ever felt. Now, Due to the complex and the clientele it keeps, I'm now in search of a revolver.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Yeah, from the light at 31 to where the old gate used to be (just east of the Sugar Creek bridge) it's 800S. Mauxferry Road is the one which runs due north just west of the rock, and Edinburgh Street veers off to the northwest just west of that.

Mauxferry Road has kind of an interesting history. It was built to run from Maukport (or "Mauk's Ferry") down on the Ohio, to the newly-built state capitol in Indianapolis. Several years ago, the post engineers were rebuilding a section of it down on the military side, and turned up remains of some of the old logs which were used to "corduroy" the road back in the early 1800's.

Interesting, the breeder we got our dog from is down in Maukport or however it's spelled.

Interesting, the google map posted is pretty recent, it's got the track in the new location in JCP.

Last edited:

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Interesting, the breeder we got our dog from is down in Maukport or however it's spelled.

Interesting, the google map posted is pretty recent, it's got the track in the new location in JCP.

My understanding is that it was originally called Mauk's Ferry. Some scribe, somewhere along the way (probably a government employee), misunderstood and thought it was spelled Mauxferry. The town itself later changed its name to Mauk Port or, simply, Maukport.

Bersalover

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Feb 14, 2011
    I am one who will not be back. After calling ahead and being told it was not busy I arrive to shoot for the first time with my young son (10 minutes later) only to find us placed in the very last open lane. No problem maybe there was a mad rush in 10 minutes. Due to the very large calipers going off all around us it spooked him and we decided to go to the woods alone instead and wait another day to find someone to accomodate us. 20 minutes later I was walking out having paid full price and shuffled along rudely. Beside the fact that we were on time out for 15 minutes and I fired 1 test round, he fired none. The price is right there but I always leave feeling rubbed the wrong way.

Guardsman89

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Kokomo
    I've not had the opportunity to shoot there, but I certainly plan to.

I'd love to shoot there and I drive right by there at least once a week on my way to CAJMTC. The problem: since I am headed on post, I cannot bring my weapons with me! You got secured lockers by any chance?

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I am one who will not be back. After calling ahead and being told it was not busy I arrive to shoot for the first time with my young son (10 minutes later) only to find us placed in the very last open lane. No problem maybe there was a mad rush in 10 minutes. Due to the very large calipers going off all around us it spooked him and we decided to go to the woods alone instead and wait another day to find someone to accomodate us. 20 minutes later I was walking out having paid full price and shuffled along rudely. Beside the fact that we were on time out for 15 minutes and I fired 1 test round, he fired none. The price is right there but I always leave feeling rubbed the wrong way.

Hmmmm. And I bet that they didn't even have the 38th Division band there to greet you, did they? :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana

Seriously? It's a SHOOTING RANGE! There will be GUNS!

<facepalm>

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Went twice in the last week, was good to see how busy it was on Saturday. Great range, great RO.
    I was told Saturday was much busier. Sunday was pretty busy, too. Ended up waiting just a few minutes for Trap and shared that with some much more experienced trap guys. But they handed out some good tips, too. It was a good day. Learned I don't like the M&P9 unless my buddy has a goofy one.

I did hear some BIG calibers but since I had my ear pro on I was OK with it. It's expected. I do agree a small range may be better for young beginners, so good on you for going that route.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    Love the range and having a place to shoot my rifles, but after the last time i went I'm not sure if I'll be back.

I generally shoot at my home but really only have about 75 yards of shooting area, so it's kinda small for high powered rifles. My buddy wanted me to shoot out at Atterbury with him, which he payed for. I'd been a total of 10 times and had fun every time except the last.

I brought a couple of my handguns with me just because i prefer pistol shooting over rifle generally. We had been shooting for about an hour already, when I finished up my last mag and rested my px4 storm on the bench for cease fire. I then stepped behind the yellow line and waited. When the RO got to my bench, he turns around and literally yells at me to come over. When i got there I realized my mistake. I had left an empty mag in my gun (with slide locked back mind you) but still a mistake for which i was wrong.

But what he did next is why i may never go back. After yelling about me leaving my mag in the gun, he takes my gun (which i gave him no permission to do) drops the mag on the bench and then from about a 6 inches in the air drops my gun on the bench. Then takes my other two guns, looks to see if the mags are out, and drops them on the bench too. WTF?

I'm not usually a confrontational guy, but that was enough for me to get pretty mouthy. I had realized my mistake and apologized, realizing it was a big safety issue. But I had bought each of those $500-$700 guns with my own hard earned money. You don't treat someone's possessions like that, ever! I still have the nice little scratch on my px4's slide where it hit my s&w 642 to remind of that every time i look at it.

I don't know if he was having a bad day or just naturally a jerk, but that was completely uncalled for!

So needless to say, i've been weary of returning. Which is a shame because it is a nice facility.

Top Bottom