• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Quick observation: speeding kills more people per year than rifles do.

Because this is the internet, sourcing is important:
    https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u....016/tables/expanded-homicide-data-table-4.xls - in 2016, 374 people were killed with rifles. (As an aside, more people were murder by knives/cutting, blunt objects, and fists/feet/hands than rifles.)

https://www.nhtsa.gov/risky-driving/speeding - in 2017, 9,717 people were killed because of speeding. That's about 30x a bigger problem than rifles.

You shouldn't be so unwilling to be suspicious about statistics. Virtually everyone is speeding pretty much all the time (review the 85th percentile for almost any stretch of road relative to its limit), thus speed is almost always cited as a contributing factor. Might as well cite breathing as a contributing factor to accidents.
    What are the standards for speed to be considered a contriubing factor? 5 over, 10 over?

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I was concerned about the ban of "bump stocks", but was reassured by numerous ingotarians that such things were simply novelty items for the range and that I need not be concerned. Only a paranoid fool would see it as a reach for something more.

Fear not, ladies. The government will keep itself in check and ensure your natural rights are not infringed upon...says so right there in the constitution. If push comes to shove, you can rely on the 9 folks in black robes to make the principled decision for the other 330,000,000 of us.

Dude, then vote for a Democrat. I'm sure they'll give you back your range toy. Or vote for a Libertarian, I'm sure they'll take up the 2A after they get done legalizing weed

"If not Trump - what, exactly"

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    This is the problem with most libertarians I’ve encountered. They seem to live in the world they want rather than the world that is.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    tenor.gif

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Aw shucks, ya got me on that one.

Sign me up for state.
    It’s a fair point though. Libertarians do the same thing every election. They do their own party convention, debate about how impure and statist the other candidates are, they get their 3-5% at the polls then go home. Every election, rinse, repeat.

You keep doing the same thing because that’s what you do. It’s deterministic. Its what we all do. People are wired differently. Don’t be surprised when the patterns of behavior reflect how they’re wired.

If you want the patterns to change you have to change the wiring, people’s worldview.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Don't forget that once in a while that wasted libertarian 3-5% at the polls turns an election for the worst. Joe Donnelly negated nearly every Indiana senatorial vote for six years.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Again with the assumption that everyone voting Libertarian would vote Republican if not Libertarian.

Not to mention that Donnelly still would have won if every Libertarian vote had been Republican.
    NomineeJoe DonnellyRichard MourdockAndy Horning
    PartyDemocraticRepublicanLibertarian
    Popular vote1,281,1811,133,621145,282

1,133,621+145,282=1,278,903

The only one responsible for that loss was Mourdock.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Again with the assumption that everyone voting Libertarian would vote Republican if not Libertarian.

Not to mention that Donnelly still would have won if every Libertarian vote had been Republican.
    NomineeJoe DonnellyRichard MourdockAndy Horning
    PartyDemocraticRepublicanLibertarian
    Popular vote1,281,1811,133,621145,282

1,133,621+145,282=1,278,903

The only one responsible for that loss was Mourdock.

Meh, it's close enough. There were a LOT of disillusioned voters that refused to vote at all. No way to measure those missed votes.

Due to the continual liberal fake news narrative that was repeated daily by the libertarian's, on top of the dems nationally, some people still buy into the Mourdock slamming.

It's still not the kid's fault, how he was conceived. Shouldn't make killing him OK. :twocents:

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I'm chiming in late, but I'm starting to truly regret the vote I gave to Mike Braun. I highly doubt that Horning would have even been apt to discuss gun regularions.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Don't forget that once in a while that wasted libertarian 3-5% at the polls turns an election for the worst. Joe Donnelly negated nearly every Indiana senatorial vote for six years.
    That’s bull****. I’ve debunked that six ways from Sunday.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Meh, it's close enough. There were a LOT of disillusioned voters that refused to vote at all. No way to measure those missed votes.

Due to the continual liberal fake news narrative that was repeated daily by the libertarian's, on top of the dems nationally, some people still buy into the Mourdock slamming.

It's still not the kid's fault, how he was conceived. Shouldn't make killing him OK. :twocents:
    Yep. Whatever tends to disprove a worldview is fake news.

Or, Mourdock ****ed up a gotcha question and the democrat favoring media ran with it. No one listens to libertarians. They have no platform. That’s why they get 3-5%. But people watch the news. Mourdock would have won if he hadn’t stomped on his dick. But after his gaff, they were able to spin it as ‘Mourdock thinks god approves of rape”, or whatever. Meanwhile they portray Donnelly as a sane blue-dog Democrat.

You may not want to accept that reality. But it IS the reality. You can’t put that loss on Libertarians. That’s, dare I say...tribal?

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm chiming in late, but I'm starting to truly regret the vote I gave to Mike Braun. I highly doubt that Horning would have even been apt to discuss gun regularions.

Well. What was the alternative? I was a binary choice. You vote for Donnelly, that’s a vote for whatever gun control the Democrats want, not to mention, one more Democrat away from flipping the Senate. Probably better to vote for a squish and hold his feet to the fire, than to vote for a Democrat and make it that much easier to have Democrats controlling what bills get voted on.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I'm sure you have, in your mind. ;)

Like I said...
    :):

Well. Facts. But you can call them what you want. And it's not just me. Others have shown the numbers which prove that the libertarian candidate did not siphon enough votes that could have saved Mourdock. But no. There are beliefs that must stay intact. There has to be someone other than Mourdock. Can't possibly be that he made a huge mistake that cost him the election. Can't possibly be the media which successfully portrayed Mourdock as a loon, and Donnelly as a "safe" choice for conservatives. Nope. Blame those pesky libertarian voters, who, by the way, don't have to vote the way you want them too. They're not Republicans. They're not in your tribe. They're not on your team.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    So, I was mowing over the weekend - and I hate mowing. Its a chore. But, it gives me time to think.

Unfortunately, I think I see a way for Braun's concept to get some traction.

There's already a list of machine guns: the NFA. For every semi-auto version of an NFA listed machine gun, any transfer needs to go through NICS. It would "close" the "gunshow loophole" for "assault weapons," especially if we ever get a decent integration with mental health records. (And a decent way to decide which mental health issues should deny firearm ownership.)

That's the kind of compromise approach that would give Dems a shouting point that they've done stuff to stop the "mass shootings" and it would allow the Republicans to say that they quelled the effort at gun control, because no one had to turn in their ARs or AKs.

I hate mowing.

Top Bottom