• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    First, thank you all who have served. I truly appreciate what you have done or are doing for our country.
    So, I am on the outside looking in and mean absolutely no disrespect when I say this but I will voice my .02 cents.
    I have no problem whatsoever with our Veterans recieving a variety of benefits. I also believe you deserve a much better medical resource than what I hear is the norm with the VA. But, I don't think run of the mill everyday injuries should qualify for a lifetime of compensation. All of us who work in any service industry are prone to endure some life long ailments simply from doing our job. That is part of life and it shouldn't qualify a person for life long compensation simply because you served. Now, if it was because of, say an injury due to not being supplied safety equipment suitable for the job (such as hearing protection for artillery) that is one thing. But if you have an ailment such as bad knees or joint pains from being a paratrooper, infantry man or a mechanic, or carpel tunnel from pushing buttons on a keyboard (and nothing combat related) that is a stretch for me unless it is so severe that you can't work and are disabled from it. Just like any of the rest of us, you knew there were risks when you took the job. I have worked for the local government for almost 17yrs, and it has taken a toll on my knees, shoulders and back too. But I don't get any compensation for my ailments. Heck they compensate us with a high deductible insurance plan that doesn't really cover anything until you meet said yearly deductible. Now again if it is disabling, exceptionally severe, chemical related (such as Vets who were exposed to agent orange) or combat related it should be covered. Again, no disrespect meant and I will always be thankful.

hog slayer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2015
    Camp Lejeune, NC
    I don't read any disrespect in your post. I think you're good there. I would throw in the equation that I didn't join with the expectation of any compensation outside of possible retirement pension. Yet, I've seen people intentionally trying to misuse and abuse the system in many ways, they would not be the norm in my experience. The dishonest muddy the waters, unfortunately. But the real difference between a job in the military and a government job somewhere else is the "blank check" cliche and the need for maximum readiness at all times.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    First, thank you all who have served. I truly appreciate what you have done or are doing for our country.
    So, I am on the outside looking in and mean absolutely no disrespect when I say this but I will voice my .02 cents.
    I have no problem whatsoever with our Veterans recieving a variety of benefits. I also believe you deserve a much better medical resource than what I hear is the norm with the VA. But, I don't think run of the mill everyday injuries should qualify for a lifetime of compensation. All of us who work in any service industry are prone to endure some life long ailments simply from doing our job. That is part of life and it shouldn't qualify a person for life long compensation simply because you served. Now, if it was because of, say an injury due to not being supplied safety equipment suitable for the job (such as hearing protection for artillery) that is one thing. But if you have an ailment such as bad knees or joint pains from being a paratrooper, infantry man or a mechanic, or carpel tunnel from pushing buttons on a keyboard (and nothing combat related) that is a stretch for me unless it is so severe that you can't work and are disabled from it. Just like any of the rest of us, you knew there were risks when you took the job. I have worked for the local government for almost 17yrs, and it has taken a toll on my knees, shoulders and back too. But I don't get any compensation for my ailments. Heck they compensate us with a high deductible insurance plan that doesn't really cover anything until you meet said yearly deductible. Now again if it is disabling, exceptionally severe, chemical related (such as Vets who were exposed to agent orange) or combat related it should be covered. Again, no disrespect meant and I will always be thankful.

Hi there, KellyinAvon here. Blue-ID Mafia (AKA USAF Retired, 21+ years), 10% service-connected disability AND an employee of the Indy VA Medical Center. I can't speak for other VAMCs, we do pretty damn good with what we've got. Unfortunately it's a huge government entity that operates within a budget (utilitarian budget in a do-no-harm world). We also get to deal with the brilliant ideas coming out of Congress and other DC swamps that really don't work as advertised (see Veteran's Choice program).

Ever notice the close proximity of Medical Schools to large VA Med Centers? YES! VA Med Centers are often teaching hospitals. Don't get really sick in July, the residents don't know anything yet.

Big problem: perpetual cycle of sub-par leadership (Think GS-15 and SES level). Who in their right mind would want the job? I will give Obama credit for bringing in Bob McDonald (West Point, former Ranger, P&G CEO) as VA Secretary, that guy was the real-deal. If Bob couldn't fix this mess, who can?

Are there VA Med Centers I wouldn't set foot in as an employee or a patient? Yes. Is it mine? Obviously not. My bosses are awesome. I tell my boss he's harder on bosses than I am. I've had one in 10 years, he's had like 15. Some of his didn't have management styles as much as they had personality disorders.

"The VA". The VA includes Veteran's Health Administration, Veteran's Benefits Administration (GI Bill, backed mortgages, disability pay) and the National Cemetery Administration. There are over 120 VA Med Centers with countless clinics in and around the area. There is NO STANDARD ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE leading to the saying, "If you've seen one VA, you've seen one VA."

Anyway, I'll keep on plugging away and doing my best. Being able to fire people who suck would help but that seems to be everywhere in .gov.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've been encouraged to go in and seek a disability rating but I haven't done it. Probably stupid on my part but I've always felt like I took more away from that 6 years than I ever put in.

I have a recruiter friend who always bugs me about not applying for my knee. It does bother me here and there, but I am still able to work 75 hours a week. If I am able to work full time I would not feel right about taking a check every month. Besides, I never left the states. If I had done a tour or two I may feel differently.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    I have a recruiter friend who always bugs me about not applying for my knee. It does bother me here and there, but I am still able to work 75 hours a week. If I am able to work full time I would not feel right about taking a check every month. Besides, I never left the states. If I had done a tour or two I may feel differently.
    You can go through the process, get in the VA system and see your outside Doc. If you have a service connected disability greater than 0% (we have those) you get a check. If you don't want it put it in a 529c for a college fund or give it to a charity. I'd buy ammo, but that's just me.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    Hi there, KellyinAvon here. Blue-ID Mafia (AKA USAF Retired, 21+ years), 10% service-connected disability AND an employee of the Indy VA Medical Center. I can't speak for other VAMCs, we do pretty damn good with what we've got. Unfortunately it's a huge government entity that operates within a budget (utilitarian budget in a do-no-harm world). We also get to deal with the brilliant ideas coming out of Congress and other DC swamps that really don't work as advertised (see Veteran's Choice program).

Ever notice the close proximity of Medical Schools to large VA Med Centers? YES! VA Med Centers are often teaching hospitals. Don't get really sick in July, the residents don't know anything yet.

Big problem: perpetual cycle of sub-par leadership (Think GS-15 and SES level). Who in their right mind would want the job? I will give Obama credit for bringing in Bob McDonald (West Point, former Ranger, P&G CEO) as VA Secretary, that guy was the real-deal. If Bob couldn't fix this mess, who can?

Are there VA Med Centers I wouldn't set foot in as an employee or a patient? Yes. Is it mine? Obviously not. My bosses are awesome. I tell my boss he's harder on bosses than I am. I've had one in 10 years, he's had like 15. Some of his didn't have management styles as much as they had personality disorders.

"The VA". The VA includes Veteran's Health Administration, Veteran's Benefits Administration (GI Bill, backed mortgages, disability pay) and the National Cemetery Administration. There are over 120 VA Med Centers with countless clinics in and around the area. There is NO STANDARD ORGANIZATION STRUCTURE leading to the saying, "If you've seen one VA, you've seen one VA."

Anyway, I'll keep on plugging away and doing my best. Being able to fire people who suck would help but that seems to be everywhere in .gov.

Over the years I dealt with the VAMC with my dad.....both the hospital and more often Cold Springs(Alcohol). I just wanted you to know I think you guys did awesome stuff and were a very good place to be, and that was a long time ago. His last surgery at VAMC was a hip replacement and let me tell you, them doctors done a damn good job. They had some of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country. They did what many doctors couldn't do for my dad for the previous 25 years. He had 7 operations on his hip, the first 6 was before he had to use the VA( he lost his disability insurance he had before). He had so called good doctors back then that butchered him. He went to Mayo Clinic once and we commuted back and forth for 6 months until he could leave, Methodist about killed him with staph infection. Nothing worked until VA did his hip and he was like a new man a few months later, of course he was 55-60 years old then. I sometimes wonder how his life would have been if he had just let VA take care of him from the start. The worst thing that happened to him at VA was he got a new wife(who was his nurse).

Anyhow, sorry to ramble. Just wanted you to know, I for one think the world of the VAMC and what you all do. Trust me when I say, it's not just the patient you are helping.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Yes sir. I have given my body to my trade. Also given a few bits and pieces to other things along lifes path as many of us have.
    In this I can look for zero compensation. Not a compliant just a statement. I feel as you do. I know more than a few people drawing a check that by all outward appearances are just fine.
    If you have a combat related injury then yes, be taken care of. Beyond this join the rest of us living with pain.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Yes sir. I have given my body to my trade. Also given a few bits and pieces to other things along lifes path as many of us have.
    In this I can look for zero compensation. Not a compliant just a statement. I feel as you do. I know more than a few people drawing a check that by all outward appearances are just fine.
    If you have a combat related injury then yes, be taken care of. Beyond this join the rest of us living with pain.
    Heck, I could have gone to work for the Post Office. They paid better.
    Instead I took a more important job with minimal pay, lousy work hours, horrible work environment.
    Part of my pay package was the compensation.
    Lots of guys behind the typewriter, driving an officer around, cooking chow, or policing the grounds might not have seen combat. The possibility of being deployed to a combat area at any time is always there.
    Try being taken away from your wife and kids for 14 months at a time with NO notice.
    This compensation is part of your pay package.
    The medical treatment isn't what you think it might be. Anyone remember Vets dying 'cause they can't get in line? Sub standard medical care is always present but much better than nothing.
    IF you put on this country's uniform and raise your hand then you are NO different than any military member. That's the way it's laid out from day one. You're just another serial number with a job.
    How many people will join the ranks with nothing offered but minimal wage?
    I understand some people know how to manipulate the system for more money.
    Imagine a govt run system not being perfect?
    Don't like service men and women drawing money 'cause they didn't get shot, shot at, shot down, blown up, beat up, broken down physically and mentally, etc, etc, and the list doesn't quit.
    Sign your name on the bottom line, raise your hand and swear to defend this country and your life is NO LONGER YOUR LIFE to run.
    No one knows what military life is going to be like until you live it.
    This stuff isn't perfect, don't expect it to be.
    Lots more **** to cry about than who should and who shouldn't get a biscuit after breakfast has been served.
    Be damned thankful there's a bunch of people that will CYA while you're chasing Sally Smelly Belly and living a free life. Just my not so humble opinion.
    This is not directed at anyone but everyone.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Instead I took a more important job with minimal pay, lousy work hours, horrible work environment.
    Lots of guys behind the typewriter, driving an officer around, cooking chow, or policing the grounds might not have seen combat. The possibility of being deployed to a combat area at any time is always there.
    Try being taken away from your wife and kids for 14 months at a time with NO notice.
    The medical treatment isn't what you think it might be. Anyone remember Vets dying 'cause they can't get in line? Sub standard medical care is always present but much better than nothing.
    IF you put on this country's uniform and raise your hand then you are NO different than any military member. That's the way it's laid out from day one. You're just another serial number with a job.
    Don't like service men and women drawing money 'cause they didn't get shot, shot at, shot down, blown up, beat up, broken down physically and mentally, etc, etc, and the list doesn't quit.
    Sign your name on the bottom line, raise your hand and swear to defend this country and your life is NO LONGER YOUR LIFE to run.
    Lots more **** to cry about than who should and who shouldn't get a biscuit after breakfast has been served.
    Be damned thankful there's a bunch of people that will CYA while you're chasing Sally Smelly Belly and living a free life. Just my not so humble opinion.

I get that Harry and agree with most of it. You know me and how much I respect the service members. In the end I think just knowing a couple of guys that draw 40% plus and run around like athletes on a pit crew at the Motor Speedway it kind of taints it for me.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't read any disrespect in your post. I think you're good there. I would throw in the equation that I didn't join with the expectation of any compensation outside of possible retirement pension. Yet, I've seen people intentionally trying to misuse and abuse the system in many ways, they would not be the norm in my experience. The dishonest muddy the waters, unfortunately. But the real difference between a job in the military and a government job somewhere else is the "blank check" cliche and the need for maximum readiness at all times.
    Good point about not joining with an expectation of being compensated beyond that of a potential pension. But I would disagree on the "blank check cliche". Sure local gov't doesn't have the same resources at the fed's but the practices are much the same. If they need money they know all they have to do is sell the people (city council etc) on it being needed for public safety and well being. Also, I understand service members/and equipment have to be kept ready at all times. However the demand on local gov't operations to keep equipment ready at all times is pretty demanding as well.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

A bit more info there than I realized. But I do certainly think it needs improvement and that law makers/ bean counters creates serious obstacles. I would simply say keep up the good work and fighting the good fight

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Good point about not joining with an expectation of being compensated beyond that of a potential pension. But I would disagree on the "blank check cliche". Sure local gov't doesn't have the same resources at the fed's but the practices are much the same. If they need money they know all they have to do is sell the people (city council etc) on it being needed for public safety and well being. Also, I understand service members/and equipment have to be kept ready at all times. However the demand on local gov't operations to keep equipment ready at all times is pretty demanding as well.

Local Govt operations are grossly overlooked. In my thinking they're another important piece of the puzzle. That puzzle can't be completed without all the pieces.
    Tomorrows aren't a given and no one knows what to expect.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Wow. Fist I would say, I wanted to join when I was 18 but couldn't due to a seizure disorder I had in my teens. But at 39, with my crappy knees and other on the job ailments I would still gladly raise my right hand, put on a uniform, and serve in whatever capacity possible. Whether that is as a cook, mechanic or even grabbing a rifle and marching into battle. I know all too well that many of us took a job with lesser pay but are compensated with some additional benefits. In large part I am good with our service men and women getting the benefits they do. I just don't think average minor injuries should be compensated with a check for the rest of ones life. Unless it was due to gov't negligence (lack/ improper equipment)etc), or either in combat or direct support of combat. Hell, again I work for the gov't and when I retire I won't even be eligible to keep my insurance. Again I stand by we all knew most of the possibilites when we chose our jobs.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I get that Harry and agree with most of it. You know me and how much I respect the service members. In the end I think just knowing a couple of guys that draw 40% plus and run around like athletes on a pit crew at the Motor Speedway it kind of taints it for me.

That's how I feel. I know a lot of veterans that didn't volunteer but were forced to war, and they got or asked for nothing. I see these guys I speak of and am amazed they would even start to consider themselves disabled in any way. I started digging and found I guess a lot of this has to do with liberal laws and politics.

BTW, I would think if anyone would have been owed disability it would have been them Nam guys...I mean spraying chemicals then flying and walking thru it. But yet they made up a very small number of recipients.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    There are abuses, I'm sure. But, I've never been around those guys that I'm aware of. Most of em I know can't hear the voices of soft-spoken females or their little grandkids. Or have herniated discs. Or ischemic heart disease associated with defoliants. Or spent more than a couple of weeks drinking the water at Camp Lejeune and are paying the consequences. But, they were fortunate in some ways. They got to old age and didn't pull the pin. What is the effect on a family from a suicide? What is that worth in VA compensation?

The younger guys did multiple tours. It takes its toll on the body and the marriage and the kids.

This thread sounds as if some of you feel vets are equivalent to welfare queens.

Join up. I'll drive you down to the recruiting center. Put yourself out there.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy

I know a few people like that as well.
    I'll tell you about just one.
    You'd never know it to look at him but he's a friggen walkin' tranqued up' mess inside.
    Poor dumb bastard cleared explosives for 10 months. He don't got a scratch on him, he don't limp, nothing wrong with anything you can see. He's just screwed up for life.
    He didn't twist his ankle either.
    We fish a lot together. He doesn't have much of a comfort zone in life. He's included in my nightly prayers. I figure it can't hurt.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    If you signed your name on the dotted line and did what was asked of you, go to the VA and get assessed, damned what anyone says or thinks about you. These are the very people you will find in other threads talking about how people shouldn’t kneel because it is “disrespectful” to service members. Yet, there are still vets killing themselves left and right, but they want to ***** over a thousand dollars a month going to someone who stood on the line while they were going to class or work. If you choose not to do so, that’s your choice and I support your decision. But, those without a DD214 and have complaints can kick rocks. Take it as you will. I meet too many young vets who are suffering from injuries that can’t be seen and refuse to be assessed. It’s too late once they start beating on their wives, getting DUI’s, and making other wrong choices.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Over the years I dealt with the VAMC with my dad.....both the hospital and more often Cold Springs(Alcohol). I just wanted you to know I think you guys did awesome stuff and were a very good place to be, and that was a long time ago. His last surgery at VAMC was a hip replacement and let me tell you, them doctors done a damn good job. They had some of the best orthopedic surgeons in the country. They did what many doctors couldn't do for my dad for the previous 25 years. He had 7 operations on his hip, the first 6 was before he had to use the VA( he lost his disability insurance he had before). He had so called good doctors back then that butchered him. He went to Mayo Clinic once and we commuted back and forth for 6 months until he could leave, Methodist about killed him with staph infection. Nothing worked until VA did his hip and he was like a new man a few months later, of course he was 55-60 years old then. I sometimes wonder how his life would have been if he had just let VA take care of him from the start. The worst thing that happened to him at VA was he got a new wife(who was his nurse).

Anyhow, sorry to ramble. Just wanted you to know, I for one think the world of the VAMC and what you all do. Trust me when I say, it's not just the patient you are helping.

Thanks for the kind words Randy.

KellyinAvon

Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A bit more info there than I realized. But I do certainly think it needs improvement and that law makers/ bean counters creates serious obstacles. I would simply say keep up the good work and fighting the good fight

Thanks TC.

Top Bottom