• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    There are abuses, I'm sure. But, I've never been around those guys that I'm aware of. Most of em I know can't hear the voices of soft-spoken females or their little grandkids. Or have herniated discs. Or ischemic heart disease associated with defoliants. Or spent more than a couple of weeks drinking the water at Camp Lejeune and are paying the consequences. But, they were fortunate in some ways. They got to old age and didn't pull the pin. What is the effect on a family from a suicide? What is that worth in VA compensation?

The younger guys did multiple tours. It takes its toll on the body and the marriage and the kids.

This thread sounds as if some of you feel vets are equivalent to welfare queens.

Join up. I'll drive you down to the recruiting center. Put yourself out there.

I seriously hope you do not lump me in there. I just have some experiences with folks who scam the systems....both sides.

Again, I get it now.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I know a few people like that as well.
    I'll tell you about just one.
    You'd never know it to look at him but he's a friggen walkin' tranqued up' mess inside.
    Poor dumb bastard cleared explosives for 10 months. He don't got a scratch on him, he don't limp, nothing wrong with anything you can see. He's just screwed up for life.
    He didn't twist his ankle either.
    We fish a lot together. He doesn't have much of a comfort zone in life. He's included in my nightly prayers. I figure it can't hurt.

In this I understand.
    I guess we can all get a bit jaded.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Don't people who get hurt on the job file for workman comp and sometimes there is a settlement? If so that's the same at the VA only you get paid out over the time of you life. So in my case 10% is 133 a month. I know the amount increases a little every year but for math sake it comes to 1596 a year. I'm 31 yrs old if I live another 50 years. It comes to 79800 which seems to be a common settlement number.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    There are abuses, I'm sure. But, I've never been around those guys that I'm aware of. Most of em I know can't hear the voices of soft-spoken females or their little grandkids. Or have herniated discs. Or ischemic heart disease associated with defoliants. Or spent more than a couple of weeks drinking the water at Camp Lejeune and are paying the consequences. But, they were fortunate in some ways. They got to old age and didn't pull the pin. What is the effect on a family from a suicide? What is that worth in VA compensation?

The younger guys did multiple tours. It takes its toll on the body and the marriage and the kids.

This thread sounds as if some of you feel vets are equivalent to welfare queens.

Join up. I'll drive you down to the recruiting center. Put yourself out there.

Nobody made most of these guys join up...they volunteered for whatever reason. My entire family was military up until my rebellious soul came along. I have never been too good at taking an ass chewing and didn't want anything to do with the military. I had one Uncle who was a Chief Warrant Officer in Nam, chopper pilot for the 101st. He did 5 or 6 tours and the last 4 he asked to go back. He retired after about 40 years in the service and died of throat cancer. He never once blamed his country for the divorce, 3 kids who he never seen much of, the 6 months as a POW or the sickness it left him with.

I can't hear, have a bad back with herniated disc, shoulder that kills me, my mother(non military) and Grandfather(Veteran) both took their own lives. What's it worth? I can't tell you an answer....I don't think there is a price, but I have never been compensated, it's just how life goes. I guess is what I am saying is many people die all the time of suicide, not just military people. There is nothing to say they wouldn't have had mental issues had they never joined. Maybe some people are just destined for that.

I don't think of them as welfare hounds, that's for sure. If they are going to give it, take it. I wish I had never asked this question. I didn't mean to cause hurt feelings and am sorry if I caused anyone hurt feelings. I was just curious because of how often I hear guys talking about it. I am glad we have the military, it definitely makes us the safest nation in the world and can't imagine not having them....and I believe that.

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    If you signed your name on the dotted line and did what was asked of you, go to the VA and get assessed, damned what anyone says or thinks about you. These are the very people you will find in other threads talking about how people shouldn’t kneel because it is “disrespectful” to service members. Yet, there are still vets killing themselves left and right, but they want to ***** over a thousand dollars a month going to someone who stood on the line while they were going to class or work. If you choose not to do so, that’s your choice and I support your decision. But, those without a DD214 and have complaints can kick rocks. Take it as you will. I meet too many young vets who are suffering from injuries that can’t be seen and refuse to be assessed. It’s too late once they start beating on their wives, getting DUI’s, and making other wrong choices.

Bingo.

Had more than one friend just this year kill themselves. No outward signs anything was wrong. But they couldn't deal with it all anymore. And they got that way because they served their country.

If you like the way doctors are paid, become a doctor. If you want the summer off, become a teacher. If you want to get paid for your work-related injuries, join the military. Come on, it's a sweetheart deal, right? It sounds great until it's time to raise your right hand. Then the excuses start coming. I understand that there are a lot of ways to get injured on the job. But I can't think of too many that have "target" in the job description.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I know a few people like that as well.
    I'll tell you about just one.
    You'd never know it to look at him but he's a friggen walkin' tranqued up' mess inside.
    Poor dumb bastard cleared explosives for 10 months. He don't got a scratch on him, he don't limp, nothing wrong with anything you can see. He's just screwed up for life.
    He didn't twist his ankle either.
    We fish a lot together. He doesn't have much of a comfort zone in life. He's included in my nightly prayers. I figure it can't hurt.

Understood. And yes any vet who si struggling mentally from their service then by all means, yes they should receive compensation. Those are effects that they will carry for the rest of their lives.

ChrisK

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Starke County
    Unless you have served, most but not all will understand why a Vet that is getting disability from the VA most likely earned it. I myself am getting $133 per month for hearing loss/tinnitus from working on aircraft for a total of 24 years. My wife, grandchildren and any others must get my attention or I have difficulty hearing them. Could I file for more, Yes but others need it more than me. I’ve been told I could file for PTSD because I still have flashbacks over working in the mortuary at Dover AFB for the Jim Jones deal. When you open a transfer case and pull out 5 body bags with children in them and have to spray them down to kill the maggots it kind of sticks with you.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Unless you have served, most but not all will understand why a Vet that is getting disability from the VA most likely earned it. I myself am getting $133 per month for hearing loss/tinnitus from working on aircraft for a total of 24 years. My wife, grandchildren and any others must get my attention or I have difficulty hearing them. Could I file for more, Yes but others need it more than me. I’ve been told I could file for PTSD because I still have flashbacks over working in the mortuary at Dover AFB for the Jim Jones deal. When you open a transfer case and pull out 5 body bags with children in them and have to spray them down to kill the maggots it kind of sticks with you.

There are about 23M vets in the U.S. and about 5M of them receive some kind of compensation pay. We are not running out of money and there is no one being denied because others are in need. I would encourage you to consider going to a VFW, American Legion, state agency, or other support service to talk about filing a claim. You could even do it yourself by filing on eBenefits.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I wish I had never asked this question. I didn't mean to cause hurt feelings and am sorry if I caused anyone hurt feelings. I was just curious because of how often I hear guys talking about it. I am glad we have the military, it definitely makes us the safest nation in the world and can't imagine not having them....and I believe that.[/QUOTE]

Don't sweat it, I don't think it has caused any hurt feelings. Sure some of us have some differing opinions (as always), but I think the commonalty is we all support our Veterans and are thankful for their service and sacrifices.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Bingo.

Had more than one friend just this year kill themselves. No outward signs anything was wrong. But they couldn't deal with it all anymore. And they got that way because they served their country.

If you like the way doctors are paid, become a doctor. If you want the summer off, become a teacher. If you want to get paid for your work-related injuries, join the military. Come on, it's a sweetheart deal, right? It sounds great until it's time to raise your right hand. Then the excuses start coming. I understand that there are a lot of ways to get injured on the job. But I can't think of too many that have "target" in the job description.
    Double BINGO!!! Veteran suicide rates are nearly double that of civilians, there’s probably a reason for that. and the scammers of the system are probably substantially less than the scammers of welfare. Hell there are non-veterans that are scamming the VA benefits system.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Alpo. Your response earlier implied that some of us view Vet's as welfare queens. You also challenged some to put themselves out there.
    I tried twice and the Army wouldn't take me. But I have come to realize there are other ways besides the military to serve our nation. That is one reason I chose to work for our local gov't, it was a way to use my skill set to serve my community. And just for the record, my only issue with compensation for Vet's are those who either abuse the system or those who have run of the mill ailments such as arthritis, lack of cartilage in knees (other joints) etc.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Sounds like it is kind of the common thing then. The crazy part is the one guy who gets 1100-1200 a month is always dogging people who draw disability but could work, but then I find out he is drawing it as well....and getting to work full time, plus be in the Guard until he retires and gets his full military pension....now it sounds like he gets property tax discount and his kids who are in college may be going for free. I don't begrudge him getting it....he was in the sandbox for years as a full time soldier and has been in for 20+ years.

But a couple of these guys I know have always been worthless, never left US soil, never had a job.........one wasn't even in for 1 1/2 years and is fighting for his disability while he lives at mom and dads and has no job. I am sorry, but that is pathetic. He is as healthy as a horse. I am surprised the military took them to start with.

If I had known about all this stuff though.......I may have given them a few years as well, recruiters should use this in the sales pitch.

I did not go in to get anything, I went in to serve.

I am at 30% and get less thsn $500 a month. I am not complaining. I havn't looked into the property tax benefit and all of my kids are working where they like and not interested in state colleges.

Edit: I could have gotten 30% the day I got out, but had no idea I was eligible.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Alpo. Your response earlier implied that some of us view Vet's as welfare queens. You also challenged some to put themselves out there.
    I tried twice and the Army wouldn't take me. But I have come to realize there are other ways besides the military to serve our nation. That is one reason I chose to work for our local gov't, it was a way to use my skill set to serve my community. And just for the record, my only issue with compensation for Vet's are those who either abuse the system or those who have run of the mill ailments such as arthritis, lack of cartilage in knees (other joints) etc.

I have fibromyalgia (joint pain), arthritis in my hips, and reduced cartilage in my knees, among other ailments. Please explain to me how I’m abusing the system?

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    OH BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!! Retirees like me (service connected disability, less than 50%) have the VA disability pay deducted from our retired military pay. Yes, we pay for our own disability pay.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    OH BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!! Retirees like me (service connected disability, less than 50%) have the VA disability pay deducted from our retired military pay. Yes, we pay for our own disability pay.

Seriously?!?!?! That's a load of **** if I've ever heard one.

raptrbreth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    New Palestine
    I did not go in to get anything, I went in to serve.

I am at 30% and get less thsn $500 a month. I am not complaining. I havn't looked into the property tax benefit and all of my kids are working where they like and not interested in state colleges.

Edit: I could have gotten 30% the day I got out, but had no idea I was eligible.
    Go here:

DVA: Property Tax Deductions

it is really just a reduction of the assessed value of your home.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Seriously?!?!?! That's a load of **** if I've ever heard one.

I found out my VA disability claim was approved when my retired pay decreased by (in 2008) $116. The pay statement had a line "VA waiver". A couple days later I got the paperwork that explained my service-connected disability. My favorite was "The VA" wouldn't state that I have arthritis. I have service-connected GERD (gastroesophageal reflux disorder) from the buckets of NSAIDs the USAF gave me for having arthritis.

Property Tax exemption and college tuition is from the Great State of Indiana and is TOTALLY AWESOME. I will also tell anyone the USAF did more for me than I could ever imagine. I was a high school grad who worked at Smith Cabinet in Salem when I found a USAF recruiter. It's not an easy life in the military and I will tell you I like being a retiree more than I did being active duty. Thank you Veterans Benefit Administration, I have a zero-down mortgage and I have an MBA (Post 9-11 GI Bill is really awesome.) I also pay for my own service-connected disability and if things get REALLY REALLY BAD (if they are bringing guys like me back to active duty space aliens are invading and ****, but I think that will happen before there is another draft) I can be recalled to active duty. All said and done I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

Top Bottom