• ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Really? Success stories have been on the downhill slide for nearly 80 years? Do you really want to argue this point when the percentage of people who make over $100k/yr (inflation adjusted) tripled since 1967? What do you reckon that looks like if we push back to the 1920's?

household-incomes-mean-real.gif

Remember this is HOUSEHOLD and not INDIVIDUAL. Which percentile do you reckon is more likely to have more than one person working?

What time frame are we talking about?

My reference was to when people coming here did so with the expectation that they would leave "the old country" behind and start a new life. They came, they worked their butts off, they learned a new language, and strove to fit in. They started with almost nothing and in a dearth of regulations, were able to open stores and build businesses. I know my grandfather opened a small store, built it up, saved his money (he actually owned a rental property in later years that he called the "dime house". Wanna guess how it got that name?) and even when his store burned to the ground, he picked himself up, went to work for a family member in a haberdashery, and started over... opened another store after that. My mother has spoken of many nights that her parents worked late there, where she would go to the store and do her homework there, go home late to eat supper and go to bed, then back to school the next day. She was born in the late 1920s, so we're probably talking about the 1910s to 1940 or so, figuring up to 20 yrs before she was born, and up to maybe fifth grade or so. I don't remember precisely, but I believe he had employees there also. Too much regulation to do something like that today, and too little ROI to save for a "dime house". My point is that people stood up for themselves and set a value on their work. Employers did the same; if they needed employees, they better offer something to incentivize someone to come work for them over their competition. People didn't need government telling them what their work was worth.

Blessings,
    Bill

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    so we're probably talking about the 1910s to 1940 or so...My point is that people stood up for themselves and set a value on their work.

So pretty much the heart of the labor reform era that led up to the FLSA? The time frame when we started outlawing child labor, set a minimum wage, the 8 hour work day became standard, set labor safety standards? Yes, they stood up for themselves, set a value on their work, yet today we're arguing about tearing all that down.

I wonder how his store, or the haberdashery, would do today in the face of competition from Wal-mart or Amazon? Is it really regulations, or is it simply that big players have rightfully earned their spot in the market via efficiency of logisitics, economy of scale, etc? It's a different world, and we have to take the good with the bad. Obviously the good is forced down prices for the consumer, choices we wouldn't have dreamed of having even 30 years ago as far as availability of goods, etc. The downside is Mom n Pops are at a huge disadvantage and giant companies have giant influence in the economy.

Let's be honest. Not everyone can open a business. Its like everyone being a singer. There's not enough audience to go around even if talent was equally distributed. Simply setting a floor for the basic labor of the economy doesn't strip the business owner of his ability to far exceed the income of basic labor. If your business plan requires paying starvation wages, than maybe your business just sucks and its time to free those resources up for a better business to utilize.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...If your business plan requires paying starvation wages, than maybe your business just sucks and its time to free those resources up for a better business to utilize.

Hillary Clinton couldn't have said it better herself. "We've figured out what the economic enemy of the middle class is; it's grocery-bagging and summer corn-tasseling!"

Exhibit A of what a Statist sounds like.

Last edited:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Let's be honest. Not everyone can open a business.

Not nearly enough. And the more obstacles that are introduced, even fewer people will be able to start successful businesses. Upward mobility is stifled in this way, and new competitors cannot enter the market.

But you're aware of that, as your following comment indicates.

If your business plan requires paying starvation wages, than maybe your business just sucks and its time to free those resources up for a better business to utilize.

Better businesses, such as ones willing to close up American factories and export its manufacturing to the third world. Where "starvation" is not political hyperbole.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    The difference is automobiles created more jobs than they replaced.

Changes aren't permanent, but CHANGE is... - Neal Peart

We don't get to choose whether a disruptive technology that increases productivity either adds or takes away jobs. Once that disruptive technology is in play, we can't stuff the genie back in the bottle. We just have to learn to adapt and survive. Artificial controls - such as the minimum wage, are simply intellectual masturbation designed to make us feel better. THERE is no SECURITY like having the skills that you know are marketable and will continue to be. All of the rest may be stolen, or dry up and blow away.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

To be honest, the price increase can't correlate exactly with the wage increase. The article says the wage increase was 14%. The price hike was 14.4%. Wages aren't the only price determining variable. It's likely more due to other coincidental cost increases that the price hike % was around the same as the wage increase. Of course it may just be an excuse to hike the price above what the increased wages would cost. They may be counting on this as being their good will dividend, that people will be more willing to pay higher prices because of how benevolent they are to pay a "living wage".

I dunno though. A dollar more for a steak burrito is kinda much.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    To be honest, the price increase can't correlate exactly with the wage increase. The article says the wage increase was 14%. The price hike was 14.4%. Wages aren't the only price determining variable. It's likely more due to other coincidental cost increases that the price hike % was around the same as the wage increase. Of course it may just be an excuse to hike the price above what the increased wages would cost. They may be counting on this as being their good will dividend, that people will be more willing to pay higher prices because of how benevolent they are to pay a "living wage".

I dunno though. A dollar more for a steak burrito is kinda much.

Plus, a 14% increase in wages translates to a bigger increase in overall payroll expenses.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's likely that a 14.4% increase in prices does not cover the additional wage related expense.

Correct.

It's likely that 14.4% is what they project is the maximum amount they can raise prices at this time without losing enough customers to offset revenue increases. Then they'll bump it again as much as they can and as soon as they can because they have to do it offset the payroll expense increase.

And all the customers pay more, whether they got a raise or not.

rhino thinks he may have successfully completed ECON 101 in college.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound

When I saw this was only in San Francisco, this didn't surprise me but for other reasons. To think the hike was the only cause is a sophomoric answer. For one its a private business that can charge whatever they want. Overhead costs could have gone up, their suppliers could have increased their prices, shareholders/owners wanted more money, etc. The hike was one cog in a machine. Not to mention this is an expensive place to live with naturally high cost of goods and services.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    House passes bill to hike the federal minimum wage to $15 per hour.

https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2019/07/18...e-wage-act-15-per-hour-minimum-wage-bill.html

This likely won't go anywhere in the Senate, but House Dems get to show how progressive they are.

I have a crazy thought.

If you want to make $15/hour (or hopefully you set your sights higher), do something worth at least, or more than, $15/hr. Most all people working full time do. See what they are doing, and try doing that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not to mention that businesses now have higher labor costs. Do they think that takes place in a vacuum? When their cost of living goes up, are they any better off than they were before? Doubtful, their situation may even become worse

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have a crazy thought.

If you want to make $15/hour (or hopefully you set your sights higher), do something worth at least, or more than, $15/hr. Most all people working full time do. See what they are doing, and try doing that.
    But living wage...I can’t support my family on just one ENTRY LEVEL job?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    While the left has done a great job presenting this as something to help the working poor, my understanding is a whole slew of union and government contracts have labor costs based on the minimum wage times a multiplier of some sort. So folks making WAY more that $15/hr will benefit while we get screwed.

BTW, many local fast food restaurants in nice locations here are advertising starting wages at $10/hr and $12.50/hr for premium shifts.

Top Bottom