Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Benp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 19, 2017
    Avon
    If I remember correctly, life insurance doesn't pay out for a suicide, it has to be an accident, homicide, natural causes. So they may need to rewrite some of the language and instead of mentioning "suicide" they need to say "homicide committed by another person." Since "homicide" already means "being killed by someone else" ...we would now have the literal translation of "being killed by someone else committed by another person." So insurance companies would say that someone needs to be either killed by two people, or by one person once removed in order to pay out.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    If I remember correctly, life insurance doesn't pay out for a suicide, it has to be an accident, homicide, natural causes. So they may need to rewrite some of the language and instead of mentioning "suicide" they need to say "homicide committed by another person." Since "homicide" already means "being killed by someone else" ...we would now have the literal translation of "being killed by someone else committed by another person." So insurance companies would say that someone needs to be either killed by two people, or by one person once removed in order to pay out.

This depends on the policy.

Generally, I believe that a suicide within 2 years of the start of the policy means that you only get the paid premiums back. After that, it may be full payout. But, insurance policies are not just "like" contracts, they "are" contracts. So, the actual words are important, even the fine print, footnotes, and riders.

Don't blame me. Blame Kirk. After you cry.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I don't quite understand why so many people are being overly emotional about this. You got Frank with his snarky remarks just because someone showed him to be wrong... and now a poster who is dramtically declaring that one definition must somehow "trump" everyone else when the post he was answering had nothing to say about that. It just gave a definition the same as any other definition. And then he contradicts himself by admitting that definitions can "vary" and there is a "most purposes" concept.

Why not just accept the concept that suicide as a homicide is a prevalent enough idea that if someone wants to use it that way he can do so? It's not like it is a major concern in life, and since there are supporting views about it then so be it.

It is my mistake that I did not use purple in the first sentence to denote sarcasm.

And, I think I made that point in my second sentence, that definitions vary by purpose. However, the commonly accepted use, at least around these parts, is that "homicide" and "suicide" have distinct, separate meanings. But, that is not binding on anyone on the INGO message board.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This depends on the policy.

Generally, I believe that a suicide within 2 years of the start of the policy means that you only get the paid premiums back. After that, it may be full payout. But, insurance policies are not just "like" contracts, they "are" contracts. So, the actual words are important, even the fine print, footnotes, and riders.

Don't blame me. Blame Kirk. After you cry.

That's right. I represented an insurance company fronted by a popular duck and had to litigate this issue a couple of times....with the twist that both cases involved a murder-suicide (or, because it's oh-so more clear, a homicide-homicide). Constructive trustee, anyone?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Questions that get discussed in law school library conference rooms while studying Criminal Procedure:
    If a murderer tries to kill someone, but that person ends up killing the murderer, based on felony-murder transferred intent, did the murderer commit suicide?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Questions that get discussed in law school library conference rooms while studying Criminal Procedure:
    If a murderer tries to kill someone, but that person ends up killing the murderer, based on felony-murder transferred intent, did the murderer commit suicide?

I am lying to you.

Top Bottom