• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Anima mundi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 14, 2016
    Southport
    Is ten minutes of dryfire every day a real roadblock to people who want to become better shooters? Because that is how you get sub-second first shots. It is not something that is forever out of the reach of all but the most ninja.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Is ten minutes of dryfire every day a real roadblock to people who want to become better shooters? Because that is how you get sub-second first shots. It is not something that is forever out of the reach of all but the most ninja.

I like the way you think. Sub 1 second draws depends on distance as well.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I will concede that most people could get a sub-one second draw and hit to the A-Zone at 7 yards or less with diligent practice.

I reject the assertion that most people could get sub-one second draw and hit from concealment as a natural result of practice. When I say concealment, I mean real concealment and carrying the gun the way they really carry it, not a starched IDPA vest and a belt holster that is offset just enough to be within equipment rules.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I will concede that most people could get a sub-one second draw and hit to the A-Zone at 7 yards or less with diligent practice.

I reject the assertion that most people could get sub-one second draw and hit from concealment as a natural result of practice. When I say concealment, I mean real concealment and carrying the gun the way they really carry it, not a starched IDPA vest and a belt holster that is offset just enough to be within equipment rules.

I have seen you get a 1.2 second draw from concealment. I was on the timer. You do not practice. You could do it if you practiced. I think a lot if not most people could do it if they made it a priority.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I have seen you get a 1.2 second draw from concealment. I was on the timer. You do not practice. You could do it if you practiced. I think a lot if not most people could do it if they made it a priority.

Okay, you're right. You knew it and I knew it, but I'm admitting it to both of us.

I was rationalizing.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am not certain what the you time on the draw is necessary for a good chance at success on the street is. But what was/is driving me crazy on this thread is the people looking to say it is not possible, not necessary or looking for a way to say it is not realistic. But the importance of a draw stroke and a good hit for EDC is important. I don't buy into the diminishing returns argument on draw stroke.

I am amazed at the number of handgun owners that do not own a holster, and then the number of people who do not practice the draws stroke. ( some of them offer training which makes my head explode) The the crowd here wants to talk about these standards are not real because people cannot do them. How do you do something well that has not been made a priority?

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I am not certain what the you time on the draw is necessary for a good chance at success on the street is. But what was/is driving me crazy on this thread is the people looking to say it is not possible, not necessary or looking for a way to say it is not realistic. But the importance of a draw stroke and a good hit for EDC is important. I don't buy into the diminishing returns argument on draw stroke.

I am amazed at the number of handgun owners that do not own a holster, and then the number of people who do not practice the draws stroke. ( some of them offer training which makes my head explode) The the crowd here wants to talk about these standards are not real because people cannot do them. How do you do something well that has not been made a priority?

I think I might be responsible for sending this thread down the wrong road and I apologize for that.
    I wasn't implying that any of the skills or times were bad, just that for me the amount of work to get from 1.12 consistently to under 1.00 consistently is significant.
    I would need to change up what I'm working on to get there and it would take some time.
    With that I will shut up.:):

I copied the drills in my practice book
    If I can dodge the rain Tuesday I'm going to run them cold
    And see what I get.

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis

LOL, so Cedartop, Jackson and Rhino have not made drawstroke a priority?

Still no word on whether you can run them or not and you are a USPSA master.

Arbitrary standards are, well, arbitrary.

Mischaracterizing what was said in this thread as that drawstroke shouldn’t be a priority is just ridiculous.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    LOL, so Cedartop, Jackson and Rhino have not made drawstroke a priority?

Still no word on whether you can run them or not and you are a USPSA master.

Arbitrary standards are, well, arbitrary.

Mischaracterizing what was said in this thread as that drawstroke shouldn’t be a priority is just ridiculous.

I have not been to the range to do it. I do not make these things a priority. But I think I can do them but I don't want to make a claim that I cannot back up. You whined about them being too hard. Make master in USPSA and then talk to me. Me being able to do them or not does not make them relevant or not.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I think I might be responsible for sending this thread down the wrong road and I apologize for that.
    I wasn't implying that any of the skills or times were bad, just that for me the amount of work to get from 1.12 consistently to under 1.00 consistently is significant.
    I would need to change up what I'm working on to get there and it would take some time.
    With that I will shut up.:):

I copied the drills in my practice book
    If I can dodge the rain Tuesday I'm going to run them cold
    And see what I get.
    If this thread has gone South it is not your fault. There were a number of things going on here and many of them were dubious in nature.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Wow, whined? Your emotions are showing through. Maybe you should reread your sig line.

Or maybe you really just are this arrogant.[/QUOTE

Maybe I am .

Show me by making Master and then we will be on equal footing. Or just come out to a match and beat me. Lots of people have done it. Have you?

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Wow, whined? Your emotions are showing through. Maybe you should reread your sig line.

Or maybe you really just are this arrogant.[/QUOTE

Maybe I am .

Show me by making Master and then we will be on equal footing. Or just come out to a match and beat me.

I am unclear where I expressed interest in a wiener measuring contest. I lost interest in those when I was much younger.

I was under the impression that we were discussing our differences of opinion as to the relevance of THESE standards. It would appear I was wrong.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I am unclear where I expressed interest in a wiener measuring contest. I lost interest in those when I was much younger.

I was under the impression that we were discussing our differences of opinion as to the relevance of THESE standards. It would appear I was wrong.
    wrong about a number of things.

You said these standards were irrelevant because no one here can do them and because they do not matter and because there was a point of diminishing returns regarding these standard and achieving them. I have pointed out that a draw stroke is important in the field of EDC. I have pointed out where these standards come from. You want me to say that I cannot do them. Then you will shift the argument yet again. I believe I can do them. Even though I do not make drawing from concealment a priority. Being a USPSA anything does not involve concealment. But you have called me out on pistol drawing and shooting skill but make no statement about what you can or cannot do. Then you want to talk about measurements and where you are not interested.

Put your name out there. Develop a track record. Compete head up. And let the score sheet speak for itself. Otherwise you are an unnamed soul talking about things where you have not walked the walk. Put up some video. Put you some scores. Put you some AAR where you have gotten the job done. Till then the only thing you are is a screen name that blows hot air. Put up or shut up. Quit looking for allies. Just put up or shut up.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    wrong about a number of things.

You said these standards were irrelevant because no one here can do them and because they do not matter and because there was a point of diminishing returns regarding these standard and achieving them. I have pointed out that a draw stroke is important in the field of EDC. I have pointed out where these standards come from. You want me to say that I cannot do them. Then you will shift the argument yet again. I believe I can do them. Even though I do not make drawing from concealment a priority. Being a USPSA anything does not involve concealment. But you have called me out on pistol drawing and shooting skill but make no statement about what you can or cannot do. Then you want to talk about measurements and where you are not interested.

Put your name out there. Develop a track record. Compete head up. And let the score sheet speak for itself. Otherwise you are an unnamed soul talking about things where you have not walked the walk. Put up some video. Put you some scores. Put you some AAR where you have gotten the job done. Till then the only thing you are is a screen name that blows hot air. Put up or shut up. Quit looking for allies. Just put up or shut up.

TSk, emotions and all.

IIRC, my first post stated my position on whether I could run these.

The last trainer I remember whose response to a argument was to bluster, insult and challenge people is James Yeager. You are in some pretty fine company there.

Last edited:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    TSk, emotions and all.

IIRC, my first post stated my position on whether I could run these.

The last trainer I remember whose response to a argument was to bluster, insult and challenge people is James Yeager. You are in some pretty fine company there.

You're not making a good showing here. As an observer, your insertion of the "you're getting all emotional" routine is lame, especially in this specific situation. It's unclear to me what you expect to gain from this.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    You're not making a good showing here. As an observer, your insertion of the "you're getting all emotional" routine is lame, especially in this specific situation. It's unclear to me what you expect to gain from this.
    Why do you think I have something to gain? I was having a discussion about a topic with some people of like and disagreeing minds.

That turned into straw men, insults, bluster and Mano y Mano challenges.

If you think that’s a good way to argue, you do you.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    By all accounts, you are at or near this level. I would honestly like to know your thoughts on these standards.

I might be able to do a accomplish some of these on a good day, but it would take some real practice to do it consistently and on-demand. I definitely believe there is merit in being as fast and accurate as possible in a defensive situation.

The chances of me needing to defend myself with a pistol are extremely low. Chances of needing to do so with a sub-second draw and/or reload are exponentially lower.

With that said, I still carry and strive to perform all aspects of doing so to the best of my ability. There’s no magic number that equals “good enough”, but any goal you work toward above your skill set will push you to improve.

Top Bottom