• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    Lawrence County - Went out last night to my usual area and found about a pound of them in half an hour. Then I went to a new spot and found over a pound in less than one minute.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    IAjsN1T.jpg

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    In typical fashion, I sat in a patch yesterday while turkey hunting. I don't have much luck finding them when I am looking for them, but I do a good job finding them by accident while turkey hunting. This place was close to the house so I quit hunting and went and got my wife so she could help. She loves hunting them and was excited to finally get the first ones of the season for us. We then found some at her dad's later on. Overall, we got about 2 lbs.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Stopped by a friend's farm in Illinois on the way home from a trip to St.Louis this weekend. He took my wife and I to see a Bald Eagle nest that is adjacent to his property, and while walking through the woods I asked if he ever found mushrooms around here. He doesn't like them,l so he never looks. So he took me to a pine grove close to the house, and we found these:
    II54JkP.jpg

after soaking and with a water bottle for size comparison:
    fzyvFu7.jpg

These were a day or so old, but not all burnt up. Had some last night with supper, but didn't get pics-PhotoNinja would have eaten the entire plate of them before the rest of supper was finished cooking if I hadn't stopped her. She actually found most of them...she is never good at finding the first one, but once she sees one, game on!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    We started finding them yesterday. My son just did a quick walk threw the hot spots from previous years and found a handful a few minutes ago. We will go back out in a bit and see what we can find. We have about half a gallon zip lock bag full so far. Nice start to the season. I think it will be a good year for them. We haven't had a good year for a few years.

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Well the snake heads are starting to dry out and fall over.

Found our first true morels yesterday in Hamilton county. Our woods are very dense with a lot of cover so they are probably a little behind the rest of the county.

Found and picked a dozen greys on the hillsides that were fully popped. Went up to the top land and found several small greys just starting to poke through the leaves...left them to grow.

This weekend should be amazing!

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    Stopped by a friend's farm in Illinois on the way home from a trip to St.Louis this weekend. He took my wife and I to see a Bald Eagle nest that is adjacent to his property, and while walking through the woods I asked if he ever found mushrooms around here. He doesn't like them,l so he never looks. So he took me to a pine grove close to the house, and we found these:
    II54JkP.jpg

after soaking and with a water bottle for size comparison:
    fzyvFu7.jpg

These were a day or so old, but not all burnt up. Had some last night with supper, but didn't get pics-PhotoNinja would have eaten the entire plate of them before the rest of supper was finished cooking if I hadn't stopped her. She actually found most of them...she is never good at finding the first one, but once she sees one, game on!

Kind of funny you mentioned pine groves.

we used to hunt a planted pine grove in Illinois that was great for morels.

Nice straight lines, no weeds, just pine needles and morels standing out like a sore thumb! That is the only place I have found them in the pines, I was always told that they didn't like pines.:dunno:

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    Morls

My son lives near Greencastle. His 10 year old daughter is the gatherer. This year they had a banner year. He generously brought some to me. Said most were found near a dead elm tree.

Attachments

• D987C513-47EE-42BE-8A64-D1B737F98E2A.jpg
      D987C513-47EE-42BE-8A64-D1B737F98E2A.jpg
      116.5 KB · Views: 6
    • 2C771483-8B9A-425B-9190-A9E64B98108D.jpg
      2C771483-8B9A-425B-9190-A9E64B98108D.jpg
      174 KB · Views: 7

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Kind of funny you mentioned pine groves.

we used to hunt a planted pine grove in Illinois that was great for morels.

Nice straight lines, no weeds, just pine needles and morels standing out like a sore thumb! That is the only place I have found them in the pines, I was always told that they didn't like pines.:dunno:

Most of the ones we found were near an elm tree that had been cut down this past winter. You are right, they are much easier to find in the pine needles!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I found 29 grays (about a pound) in..............my backyard. That's a first in 30+ years. I guess it was good that I put off the early mowing this year :D

I push mowing back as long as I reasonably can. The year us looking pretty shabby at the moment. I seldom find any after the first mow. The boy when back out side just before sundown and found 2 really large hand fulls. We are going to check tomorrow and see what we find. We have enough for a good meal. I would love a few more batches.

We are finding mostly small. I have been checking for the last week and a half. I thing we are at the start of the season. If so, we might find some larger ones.

FYI, you can freeze them. Cut length wise and soak in some salt water for an afternoon. Pat dry and store in a Ziplock bag. GEt as much are out as you can. I get then out in the middle of winter and we feast. They are better when fresh but pretty damned good froze.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I was mowing next to a ditch and thought I saw a basketball the grandkids had left out. Upon dismounting the tractor I found a tight cluster of morels, the ones in the center were about 8in tall. I have never seen them in a cluster like that, I had to pull them apart they were so tightly packed. Odd...

Top Bottom