Movie Theater Confrtontation => May have had a Prequil?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    I would leave before it ever got to that point. Would you really let an arguement over texting in a theater escalate into something where you would consider drawing your weapon?? Maybe we do need classes before getting an LTCH. I believe a person with LTCH has to hold himself to a higher level of responsibility than the average person.[/QUOTE

Let us not forget that the aggressor here was a 71 year old retired LEO. As a former officer, with formal training, he made the call to pull his gun and shoot this man in a theater, over words and popcorn. How, by any standard of thinking, would classes apply? He had already had the benefit of years of experience and training that the average citizen does not - ergo; there is no class that would have helped out here. It sounds to me like this man had an itch to kill, and found an opportunity to scratch it. :twocents:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I'm talking about during the movie. And it's pretty distracting to have someone's screen light up in front of you, especially when the scene in the movie is a darker one.

*shrug* If the movie theater doesn't want my business that's fine by me, and I've come to expect fairly rude behavior out of a segment of the general public.
    We haven't been to a movie since "Titanic" in 1997 for exactly that reason.
    Many people today don't give a rats ass about the people around them.
    They are "Very important" and the rest of us are in their way when they want to have fun.
    I'd like to have a few words with their parents about how they raised their self centered offspring and turned them into the Me-Me-Me generation.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    So your son started a confrontation and both of you then followed through with continuing the confrontation? You do realize that had the situation escalated and you used your firearms that would be a felony right? Know the laws and grow up, sounded like a good way to endanger your entire family! Those punks could have just as easily flanked you out in the parking lot, grow up man!

Really. Grow up. My son showed great restraint in the theater. So did I. We let the situation die down and they could have let it go. They did not. I sent the wife on and we had our chat. If it would have escalated they would have been broken and bleeding on the ground. Like I said, we showed great restraint when "They" were disrespectful. "They" chose to push the issue that "They" started. If we continue to bow down to thugs and A$$ hats we will become a bunch of sheep.....oh, wait, I did not mean to offend you kind sir. I should cower off.
    Pay close attention. They continued to push the issue. Long after we let it die down. They were asked very politely to keep it down. They told my son to _F_ off. He said later on boys. Not here. They were dumb enough to take it to the next level. They were punks. Pure and simple. Learn to recognize who you are dealing with.
    I am fully aware of the law and how it works. I am way past grown up. I am a man. You have that part right.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Quoted once again since no one can figure out the problem...

Again my friend....we asked nicely.....note the word please. No one followed looking for trouble. You are not reading this and comprehending. They were waiting. We just obliged them.

Why are you having issue with folks who stand their ground. Do you cut run and cower for fear of a felony. If we would have cowered they would have jumped us. Show of strength. Thugs realize this is no easy dance and walk away.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    People just need to do what I do in theater situations like that. I send bad vibes.
    I bore holes into the back of their heads with my evil eyes.
    Eventually, if the movie's good, they quit texting. So, it must work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    People just need to do what I do in theater situations like that. I send bad vibes.
    I bore holes into the back of their heads with my evil eyes.
    Eventually, if the movie's good, they quit texting. So, it must work.

Good advice....anything past that is a felony you know.....:)

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Good advice....anything past that is a felony you know.....:)

Not so much the felony I would be concerned with, more the getting my women and children shot by strangers part. My guess is that the guy who got shot in the theater in Florida tried to play billy badass with the shooter and the shooter didn't want to "take it outside". If that is how it turns out, billy got himself killed and his wife shot too.

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    I have a feeling there is an old guy in Florida that wasn't used to people not doing what he said. One day he met a complete jerk in a movie theater and neither one was going to cower away . I wonder what they think now...

I've "cut and run" before and can see where I'd do it again. It doesn't bother me one bit. Mid 90's I pull into a supermarket parking lot in Norfolk, VA (nice place!) and as I'm getting out of my car the turd parked next to me puts his cart right up against my car and starts unloading it. I asked if he would move it over a little. His reply was something like "what are you the parking lot police?" It goes from there but he's basically pulling the whatcha gunna do about it attitude. I'm trying to be nice but I'm getting a little wound-up....so, I take a few steps towards the back of his car, a nice long, obvious look at his license plate and look up at him and tell him I don't have time for this and to have a nice day. I turn and walk to the store and do my shopping. He even got in the "you better walk away"line. That REALLY hurt. ;)

I was armed, if I hadn't been I may have let my temper get the better of me. I know, I've seen me do it. To me it's just not worth it over something so trivial when I'm carrying. I don't care what he thinks of me, what he tells his buddy's later that night, and I'll probably never see him again. If I had pushed it what then? Maybe he backs down. Maybe I get into a fight while having to retain my weapon? That makes fighting a little harder. What happens if I lose and during the dancing he figured out I had a gun? Now he has a gun, and that's, ummm, bad. Now I know no one on INGO has ever or would ever lose a fight but statistics show that almost 100% of people going into a fight think they're going to win but nearly 50% of them are wrong. No, really...

Now let's say he's armed and I have to shoot him.. Dead people are not fun at all. The crap that happens after people get dead is not fun. Even if the law has no problems with how it went down you can bet your bottom dollar little Johnny's momma is going to dig out the picture of him at church when he was 10 and find a lawyer. Even if I win that one I lose... a lot.

It's just not worth it to me for what amounts to pride. I already know who I am.

Now had he been waiting for me when I came out with my bacon and orange marmalade......

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I have a feeling there is an old guy in Florida that wasn't used to people not doing what he said. One day he met a complete jerk in a movie theater and neither one was going to cower away . I wonder what they think now...

I've "cut and run" before and can see where I'd do it again. It doesn't bother me one bit. Mid 90's I pull into a supermarket parking lot in Norfolk, VA (nice place!) and as I'm getting out of my car the turd parked next to me puts his cart right up against my car and starts unloading it. I asked if he would move it over a little. His reply was something like "what are you the parking lot police?" It goes from there but he's basically pulling the whatcha gunna do about it attitude. I'm trying to be nice but I'm getting a little wound-up....so, I take a few steps towards the back of his car, a nice long, obvious look at his license plate and look up at him and tell him I don't have time for this and to have a nice day. I turn and walk to the store and do my shopping. He even got in the "you better walk away"line. That REALLY hurt. ;)

I was armed, if I hadn't been I may have let my temper get the better of me. I know, I've seen me do it. To me it's just not worth it over something so trivial when I'm carrying. I don't care what he thinks of me, what he tells his buddy's later that night, and I'll probably never see him again. If I had pushed it what then? Maybe he backs down. Maybe I get into a fight while having to retain my weapon? That makes fighting a little harder. What happens if I lose and during the dancing he figured out I had a gun? Now he has a gun, and that's, ummm, bad. Now I know no one on INGO has ever or would ever lose a fight but statistics show that almost 100% of people going into a fight think they're going to win but nearly 50% of them are wrong. No, really...

Now let's say he's armed and I have to shoot him.. Dead people are not fun at all. The crap that happens after people get dead is not fun. Even if the law has no problems with how it went down you can bet your bottom dollar little Johnny's momma is going to dig out the picture of him at church when he was 10 and find a lawyer. Even if I win that one I lose... a lot.

It's just not worth it to me for what amounts to pride. I already know who I am.

Now had he been waiting for me when I came out with my bacon and orange marmalade......

I know this is serious stuff. But that line "Dead people are not fun at all" is great. I'm going to remember that.

Tc343

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Apr 17, 2012
    Greenfield
    Cops in Florida are a lot more aggressive than any I have met in Indiana.... When I moved to Florida there was a HUGE scandal going on that led to many fired officers and pressure for the chief to resign. Its every day stuff down here. Much more violent in my opinion. I don't know what they are showing or telling on the news channels in Indy but the cop shot the mans wife first through the hand. Same bullet killed her husband.

To many people and drugs piled in this state.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Not so much the felony I would be concerned with, more the getting my women and children shot by strangers part. My guess is that the guy who got shot in the theater in Florida tried to play billy badass with the shooter and the shooter didn't want to "take it outside". If that is how it turns out, billy got himself killed and his wife shot too.

I was concerned for the woman. That is why we let things tone down until they could get safely to the vehicle. My wife was not pleased with their behavior and gave us the nod when she realized they were going to push this issues. No one in my party was going to get shot that day. Never walk in blind.
    I understand how folks look at these things and respond in a way that fits their views.

As to the self appointed texting/behavior police....throwing popcorn is not the way to confront this guy. It is sad the people are conducting themselves in such a way. Common courtesy is fading away. That said, no one expects to be shot for this.
    If the story rings true the retired LEO was on a vendetta. His mental state will come into question.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Well said. Well handled.
    A good fist fight is one thing. All the paper work and BS after ending someone is just to much.....:)

I would have moved his cart off of my car......Just me...:dunno:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I agree...during a movie, people should be respectful and keep their phones closed/off/quiet/etc. I have 2 brothers who are physician's and I know they've had to take calls during a movie...but they tend to sit by an exit so they can leave and return with minimal interference to others.

Thus proving physicians are kings among men

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I would leave before it ever got to that point. Would you really let an arguement over texting in a theater escalate into something where you would consider drawing your weapon?? Maybe we do need classes before getting an LTCH. I believe a person with LTCH has to hold himself to a higher level of responsibility than the average person.[/QUOTE

Let us not forget that the aggressor here was a 71 year old retired LEO. As a former officer, with formal training, he made the call to pull his gun and shoot this man in a theater, over words and popcorn. How, by any standard of thinking, would classes apply? He had already had the benefit of years of experience and training that the average citizen does not - ergo; there is no class that would have helped out here. It sounds to me like this man had an itch to kill, and found an opportunity to scratch it. :twocents:

I concur...this guy had a 'control issue' be it with himself and lack of self-control or an overpowering urge to control others! Either way, he let something as little as an individal texting BEFORE the movie get under his skin.

As I stated in another forum, it's still considered 'childish' to get mad when one doesn't get their way! Maybe some time in prison will help him to overcome that issue?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sunday I went to a late matinee of "Lone Survivor." I saw a whole family texting on each of their phone right after the announcement that use of phones in the theater was prohibited. I toyed with the idea of whipping out my Fenix PD 35 and lettin' have 850 lumens to demonstrate just how annoying a little light during a movie can be. Then I got over it and watched the movie.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Sunday I went to a late matinee of "Lone Survivor." I saw a whole family texting on each of their phone right after the announcement that use of phones in the theater was prohibited. I toyed with the idea of whipping out my Fenix PD 35 and lettin' have 850 lumens to demonstrate just how annoying a little light during a movie can be. Then I got over it and watched the movie.
    What? You can control yourself? No gun carrier could EVER do that!

Top Bottom