Movie Theater Confrtontation => May have had a Prequil?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    If a person is engaged in disruptive behavior in a theater the proper course of action is to contact theater management. It is the theater's job to enforce their policies, not that of theater patrons.

If the malefactor persists in the behavior, the theater management has the option of summoning help that is equipped not only with a gun but a badge as well.

If theater management has no stomach for enforcing its policies you and your wallet can go elsewhere.

The only way I would personally confront someone in a theater would be in a situation where some innocent party was in physical danger.

As an old veteran officer once told me during my rookie days, "Never get in a pissing contest with a skunk."

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    This thread is awesome hahaha
    I've had a good one in a theater. A huge group of guys go together to go see lone survivor or some other movie of that sort (it's been a few years). A guy was texting in front of us, and someone asked him to put his phone up (he did but made a big deal of it). Everything was ok until after the movie and he turns around and wants to know who said something... He and his 2 buddies were all puffed up and did wait for us outside for what I thought was no reason. However, they had no idea that the 4 of us behind them were also with 8+ other guys that were in their row :):. They turned toward their vehicles in a large hurry without saying anything.

I do agree though with a lot of you guys... I don't ever assume I can take anyone and never look to fight. To be honest I've been whipped a few times (not in real fights) by some pretty unassuming guys who were pretty legit at their bjj and things. There are so many guys around me that do that kind of thing you never know. Sadly not all of them always seem to be super standup guys.

Happens all the time, back in early 80's we had a regular group that got together weekly to go see Rocky Horror Picture Show. One night a bunch of squids were down front antagonizing everyone and making total dicks of themselves, at some point my buddy got up and told their ring leader that if they didn't take it down a notch he was going to come down there and have a "discussion" with him about it. The other squids all stood up and the leader squid snidely replied "you and what army"? At that point EVERY other person in the theater stood up in support of my buddy!:rockwoot: Said dicks left the theater shortly thereafter to a standing ovation. Ah. . . .good times.:thumbsup:

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    If a person is engaged in disruptive behavior in a theater the proper course of action is to contact theater management. It is the theater's job to enforce their policies, not that of theater patrons.

If the malefactor persists in the behavior, the theater management has the option of summoning help that is equipped not only with a gun but a badge as well.

If theater management has no stomach for enforcing its policies you and your wallet can go elsewhere.

The only way I would personally confront someone in a theater would be in a situation where some innocent party was in physical danger.

As an old veteran officer once told me during my rookie days, "Never get in a pissing contest with a skunk."

I agree with you 100% LS but nowadays unless it's one of the big "Cineplex" theaters management consists of some zit faced 20 something that doesn't want to get his ass kicked and has probably been told NOT to call the cops until it's over. Society has really gone down hill and I don't see it improving much any time soon.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    It stops when we as a society stop allowing this to happen. As long as the sheep just walk away the thugs get bolder and bolder. They know it is 5 to 30 minutes for LEO to respond depending on circumstances. Enough time to get away in their eyes.

Sad as it is we have allowed the escalation through gun free zones and a turn the other cheek, hope they go away mentality. Not proposing mob justice just a stand your ground attitude.
    Each will respond as they see fit to these things but sheeple will not effect any real change.
    JMHO.

THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Look, and I will make this impossible to ignore: I want NO trouble, EVER, from ANYONE. NONE! EVER! But, when we are confronted by thugs, and animals, and ghetto rats, and we put our tails between our legs and slink away, they do indeed get bolder, they get much more brazen, and issues escalate from possibly a need for a simple ass-kicking, to the need for lethal force. Just like the cop the other day who, when he confronted little thugs on his lawn, and he grabbed the instigator by the collar, he was knocked down by one of the little animals, drew his weapon and it inadvertently discharged, and the entire episode developed because these out of control kids had been allowed to run crazy, with NO repercussions. Things have to be dealt with in a timely manner and fashion so they do not ever need to turn lethal.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    The older guy defiantly was assaulted. Unless I was on the jury and heard all the evidence I can't really say if the old guy's actions were reasonable, though the video seems to show he was under attack. Even if his actions were reasonable, this guy is out what, $50K in legal fees if not more? Sometimes the best course of action is to walk away. See the movie later. I get the comments about not running away, but maybe if things get bad enough things finally collapse and we can build the next thing better. Not walking away could cost one a significant part of their savings. I could see the old guy being in some fear, having two things thrown at his head. The attacker always could've just walked away, but of course he had to attack the old man for complaining about him. I have to wonder what was going through tough guy's mind once that bullet was fired.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    i think this guy was justified.

Based on what?

I see popcorn flying, then Florida Man shoots Florida Man. (which means they're both unpredictable and irrational)

I guess the judge disagrees.

Florida judge denies 'stand your ground' defense in shooting

Also, I not a fan of the whole "stand your ground", because of cases like this where Pistol Pete decides, "I've got a gun, and I'm not going to allow texting during the commercials!" He picks a fight with a douchebag then pulls a gun when he feels like he's losing. If there's one thing I've learn, it's that Florida Man doesn't have the common sense to realize that winning a fight leads to a whole lot of long term loss - money, time, liberty, etc.

Discretion is the better part of valor. Don't let your ego ruin lives.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Based on what?

I see popcorn flying, then Florida Man shoots Florida Man. (which means they're both unpredictable and irrational)

Also, I not a fan of the whole "stand your ground", because of cases like this where Pistol Pete decides, "I've got a gun, and I'm not going to allow texting during the commercials!" He picks a fight with a douchebag then pulls a gun when he feels like he's losing. If there's one thing I've learn, it's that Florida Man doesn't have the common sense to realize that winning a fight leads to a whole lot of long term loss - money, time, liberty, etc.

It had nothing to do with stand your ground. It was simply self defense.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Exactly. Based on my Monday morning quarterback analysis of the publicly released information and the ****ty video, I feel the man was justified in using deadly force because he feared death or serious bodily harm to himself was possible. That is the standard. It's just about if you can prove it. Certainly being hit in head with hard objects especially to an older person could create serious bodily harm or death.
    If you think I made my opinion based on bravado or ego of one person over the other or that I myself would make a serious life or death decision based on something so pointless then you have misjudged me. I don't know the men involved personaly and only have a glimpse based on statements released to us. But I don't believe it was a shooting based on ego or bravado.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Based on what?

Was there another hearing that I missed? Sounded to me like the Judge misquoted law, and ruled erroneously on the misquoted law? But I'm a simple guy with not much legalese inbred, so I may be totally off base?

Top Bottom