Movie Theater Confrtontation => May have had a Prequil?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    From studying shooting incidents from the past year my conclusion is that unless shooting happens inside your house you are going to have a long and expensive process ahead of you. What would I do, I'd ask for my money back, no not a voucher for another movie my money back. I've push this point with the theaters before when one person was doing live translation of the movie to his Spanish speaking girlfriend. Don't take a voucher, they still have your money, get your money back. Maybe if enough people did this they'd start enforcing their rules which are displayed on the screen before the movie starts.

That's smart, especially the distinction between voucher and refund.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    A large segment.
    My son just said "we will take this up later"

If you had ended up in a shooting situation, and any witnesses had heard your son utter this, you and he would have been in serious, serious trouble. You did not de-escalate the situation, you (your son) as much as told them it was not over.

This whole scenario seems to be a good example of what NOT to do with a CCW.

The world is full of thugs, and one needs to decide which battles are worth fighting and which are not. If a thug enters my home, I am not afraid to defend myself and family. But being willing to put family at risk over a stupid confrontation in a theater, thinking that this will somehow make a meaningful impact in the behavior in the lives of a few career thugs...well, good luck with that. I'd just switch seats. I don't get into road rage battles with idiot drivers either.

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    I would leave before it ever got to that point. Would you really let an arguement over texting in a theater escalate into something where you would consider drawing your weapon?? Maybe we do need classes before getting an LTCH. I believe a person with LTCH has to hold himself to a higher level of responsibility than the average person.[/QUOTE

Let us not forget that the aggressor here was a 71 year old retired LEO. As a former officer, with formal training, he made the call to pull his gun and shoot this man in a theater, over words and popcorn. How, by any standard of thinking, would classes apply? He had already had the benefit of years of experience and training that the average citizen does not - ergo; there is no class that would have helped out here. It sounds to me like this man had an itch to kill, and found an opportunity to scratch it. :twocents:

Agree - I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about the original post. It is clear that the shooter has some issues. I was talking about the guy who seemed proud of the fact that he and son got into a confrontation in the parking lot. A confrontation like this could escalate very easily. I am not sure some people realize the ramifications of pulling and using a gun.

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    I would leave before it ever got to that point. Would you really let an arguement over texting in a theater escalate into something where you would consider drawing your weapon?? Maybe we do need classes before getting an LTCH. I believe a person with LTCH has to hold himself to a higher level of responsibility than the average person.[/QUOTE

Let us not forget that the aggressor here was a 71 year old retired LEO. As a former officer, with formal training, he made the call to pull his gun and shoot this man in a theater, over words and popcorn. How, by any standard of thinking, would classes apply? He had already had the benefit of years of experience and training that the average citizen does not - ergo; there is no class that would have helped out here. It sounds to me like this man had an itch to kill, and found an opportunity to scratch it. :twocents:

Agree - I guess I wasn't clear. I wasn't talking about the original post. It is clear that the shooter has some issues. I was talking about the guy who seemed proud of the fact that he and son got into a confrontation in the parking lot. A confrontation like this could escalate very easily. I am not sure some people realize the ramifications of pulling and using a gun.

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    If you had ended up in a shooting situation, and any witnesses had heard your son utter this, you and he would have been in serious, serious trouble. You did not de-escalate the situation, you (your son) as much as told them it was not over.

The world is full of thugs, and one needs to decide which battles are worth fighting and which are not. If a thug enters my home, I am not afraid to defend myself and family. But being willing to put family at risk over a stupid confrontation in a theater, thinking that this will somehow make a meaningful impact in the behavior in the lives of a few career thugs...well, good luck with that. I'd just switch seats. I don't get into road rage battles with idiot drivers either.

Yah, I already called him on this, turns out he and his son are right and everyone else is in the wrong, he is no longer taking crap or putting up with any thugs, he doesn't seemed to concerned with his son making the problem worse or having his whole family with him while all this happens as he made it clear these guys were of no threat and he made them all see how it is...

Oh yah and the rest of us are all just sheep and are putting up with it...

This will end up well for him and his family I am sure...

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    From studying shooting incidents from the past year my conclusion is that unless shooting happens inside your house you are going to have a long and expensive process ahead of you. What would I do, I'd ask for my money back, no not a voucher for another movie my money back. I've push this point with the theaters before when one person was doing live translation of the movie to his Spanish speaking girlfriend. Don't take a voucher, they still have your money, get your money back. Maybe if enough people did this they'd start enforcing their rules which are displayed on the screen before the movie starts.

I, too, have paid attention to 'in-home' and 'out-of-home' shootings and in nearly every 'out-of-home' shooting, charges were filed and the individual had to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars to prove their need for self-defense to a jury, whereas in nearly every 'in-home' shooting, where self-defense was the initial claim, no initial arrest occured either.

One other point to make here is that it also appears that the 1st person to dial 9-1-1 is viewed as the 'victim' and the other the 'assailant' by law enforcement's perspective. So anytime you are in a scrap (of any sort) that requires LE action to resolve...be the 1st 9-1-1 caller!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

Wow. The miss-interpretations and sheeple responses have me in a state of confusion. Keep letting these a$$hats run amok and the problems will never go away. To have gotten up and moved would only embolden them and escalate how they acted later on. Did we make a difference, probably not.
    His response was to give them an out and they chose not to take it.
    I am probably more aware of how thugs act than a lot of folks as we have had so much interaction with them. Know who you are dealing with. We do.

We did not start a "stupid" confrontation....They did.....we stood our ground. I guess I should have mentioned that there were maybe 10 to 12 other people in the entire theater including those 4 idiots. They could have sat anywhere and chose to post up in front of us and act like idiots.
    Hang around for a while (I see you are fairly new) and come to know who you are calling stupid.

You have every right to walk through life as you see fit. I see you live in the country so I doubt you get much of this out your way. I have friends in the area.
    To compare this with road rage is just idiotic.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Wow. The miss-interpretations and sheeple responses have me in a state of confusion. Keep letting these a$$hats run amok and the problems will never go away. To have gotten up and moved would only embolden them and escalate how they acted later on. Did we make a difference, probably not.

You have every right to walk through life as you see fit. I see you live in the country so I doubt you get much of this out your way. I have friends in the area.

I read your initial post and while it might not be as bad as some rage incidents, what you described was seriously flawed. Maybe you are sitting on millions and figure some lawyer can post up pictures of thugs to the jury and you will be good to go, but most of us would rather avoid having to even spend one dime on legal fees related to an incident as you described that didn't turn out the greatest. Maybe thugs/a$$hats where you live are different, but here in Indy, many grow up with a view a lifetime is to your mid-20s, 30s if your lucky. Their concepts of life and death, incarceration, etc. are likely vastly different than yours.

I get your point about how if people don't stand up, things get just worse. The problem is, things are already bad, and part of it is that a good % of the population is OK with how things are. They vote politicians and judges who have created a complete mess, so why put one's personal safety and financial well being at risk? This is especially true if one is with loved ones. Do you think that these punks/a$$hats aren't capable of just doing a drive-by after they backed down and fled in fear? Yes, they are cowards, and they do things like shoot and run, drive-bys, etc. just like a coward would.

Like you I also avoid such people, but anymore, rudeness doesn't just involve gangster thugs, it involves all types. It is has gotten to the point that for something like a movie, I would rather save my money and get the movie from Redbox. Don't have to worry about missing part of the movie. Don't have to worry about fist fights and shootings that seem more and more common at theaters. I guess my response is the collapse the entire system. If we all start staying home more, our entire economy folds....then things will turn out however they turn out, maybe for worse or better, who knows. If things get bad enough in the future, might just have to finally move to a better area of the country.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    As I said before, we all have the right to see this through our own eyes. Having lived almost my entire life in the area I have grown tired of this and just do not take it anymore. I/we have dealt with these idiots for a long time.
    Flawed, not as we see it. Again perspective. I understand your opinion and the remarks concerning the system. Agree on most of it.
    Sitting on a stack, nope. If we were I would have my own theater in my home on some ground outside the bus lines so the thugs would have a long way to drive. We have a seriously nice set up but every once in a great while we like to go "outside". Like i said, just damn tired of it. Can't move so we stand our ground. We treat these idiots pretty much the same across the board. You see them at the store, the corner gas station, everywhere you go at least around here.

There are flaws to be found in every situation, how it starts, is handled and how it ends.

I did not start share this to jack the OP's thread but it seems to have derailed it.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    It is ashamed that you cannot go to a movie after dropping $50 or more and some moron is texting or talking on their phone disrupting the movie for all those nearby. It is simply common courtesy not to do that in a theater.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    His response was to give them an out and they chose not to take it.
    I am probably more aware of how thugs act than a lot of folks as we have had so much interaction with them. Know who you are dealing with. We do.

We did not start a "stupid" confrontation....They did.....we stood our ground. I guess I should have mentioned that there were maybe 10 to 12 other people in the entire theater including those 4 idiots. They could have sat anywhere and chose to post up in front of us and act like idiots.
    Hang around for a while (I see you are fairly new) and come to know who you are calling stupid.

Living in the country now, does not mean I always did. I spent years living and working in Detroit. Indy is pretty tame by comparison. I know a thing or two about thugs. And once I had the opportunity, I made sure I went where I did not have to deal with them.

I hope none of these thugs ever call your bluff, because being tired of it or just standing your ground won't save you from legal fees...right or not. It matters little who started it, especially if a witness comes forward to confirm that one of your party indicated that the confrontation was not over.

I did not call YOU stupid. I called the confrontation stupid, because it was. It was a bad decision, but you don't have to be stupid to make bad decisions. You elected not to be a bigger man than a party of thugs and elected to play the game, putting yourself and your family at greater than necessary risk. If it had escalated to shooting and you had taken on of them out, sure, it may have been decided as "standing your ground"....but there is a chance one or more of your family would not be there and you'd be up to your eyeballs in legal fees. I guess if you think making a fool's errand attempt to correct the behavior of a couple thugs who are un-correctable is worth that, it's your prerogative.

Comparing to road rage is not idiotic. I've had more than one driver try to engage with such behavior with me. The reason it did not result in a collision or physical altercation is because I refuse to play on their level. I visibly snap a photo and dial 911 (funny how quickly that ends their rage). I separate myself from them in traffic and take an exit. I don't stay there and flip them off and drive aggressively back at them because that's somehow supposed to show them and prove I'm a man.

tobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    Maybe you do, I do not.

Neither did George Zimmerman - I wonder if he would do things differently if he had it to do over? I am not saying what he did is right or wrong but his life has changed. Was it worth it???????

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Depend on which part. Going outside that night? Maybe not. Defending himself after he was on his back about to be killed? Yeah, worth it.

dmonsche

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2013
    So your son started a confrontation and both of you then followed through with continuing the confrontation? You do realize that had the situation escalated and you used your firearms that would be a felony right? Know the laws and grow up, sounded like a good way to endanger your entire family! Those punks could have just as easily flanked you out in the parking lot, grow up man!
    This was my thought too. I wouldn't feel the need to confront someone like that. Why put yourself in a potentially bad situation over a movie

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    No where did I see CM and son chasing down or even looking for the thug punks. They were waiting on CM and son. I look at it this way, you run your mouth and act like you bad, you better be ready to play because it's GAME ON. I will make sure my non-combatants are safe and then the party begins. If your mouth writes me a check, better make sure your ass can cash it. I was taught to never run from a fight because you may have it happen later anyway. I will run from no man and only one woman. Never empower a punk thug by cowering down or letting them think they can get away with intimidation, the next time it could be someone you love. I stand with CM on this one!!

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm over the macho stuff personally. If you chest puff even if you're right then you just escelated the incident from an issue that could have been handled by going to theatre management and having the punks removed (problem solved) because as soon as you say something like we will handle this later then the other side isn't gonna back down because their manhood just got called out. It's the same in white trash land, black neighborhoods, middle class hoods, upper class hoods. Everyone is gonna puff their chest if you do it. Now if after you get the manager and they are removed for being in their phones or talking or whatever and they are waiting for you outside after the movie then it's game on and it is not your fault and if you have to defend yourself then you are justified because you didn't cause the situation.
    Walking away from an arguemebt that is just going to get physical or maybe deadly isn't being a wimp. It's being an adult.
    if they want to fight with the theatre manager then the cops are gonna come and put them in jail. If you fight with someone then even if you are right you're probably getting kicked out too, or even if you can fight and win you're probably gonna get some injury and possibly go to jail or get banned from the place.
    Everyone is gonna do what they are gonna do. I used to enjoy fighting. I've had enough fights now and if someone wants to be the bad ass I let them think they are and walk away.
    i try really hard not to shoot people or fight people.
    If someone actualy hits you or someone you're with then that's a whole new ball game. Words, eh, whatever. Actual threats, then yeah handle it. Some people do need punched in the face. But it's a last resort.
    Obviously cm and his son didn't have to do that. Good for them.

Last edited:

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    This thread is awesome hahaha
    I've had a good one in a theater. A huge group of guys go together to go see lone survivor or some other movie of that sort (it's been a few years). A guy was texting in front of us, and someone asked him to put his phone up (he did but made a big deal of it). Everything was ok until after the movie and he turns around and wants to know who said something... He and his 2 buddies were all puffed up and did wait for us outside for what I thought was no reason. However, they had no idea that the 4 of us behind them were also with 8+ other guys that were in their row :):. They turned toward their vehicles in a large hurry without saying anything.

I do agree though with a lot of you guys... I don't ever assume I can take anyone and never look to fight. To be honest I've been whipped a few times (not in real fights) by some pretty unassuming guys who were pretty legit at their bjj and things. There are so many guys around me that do that kind of thing you never know. Sadly not all of them always seem to be super standup guys.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Seyboldbryan
    Top Bottom