My wife is a gun hater and I'm sick of it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AuntieBellum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Rensselaer
    Are you (I'm not quoting since it was mentioned several times) serious about hiding a gun purchase from your wife? There are certainly some things that I don't care about my man hiding...a new dvd, a new video game, heck - even a new computer wouldn't hurt anything (just examples of possible non-threatening things...you DO NOT need a new computer, dear). But, if you were to not tell your wife about a new gun, I think you're asking for trouble.

1. If you don't have any guns in your house and it is found, there are several possible bad consequences ranging from her throwing a fit to your daughter finding it and playing with it (if if unloaded, not a good idea) - I'm guessing it's easier to hide a single gun than it is to hide an entire safe. Although the crawlspace would be a great place to hide stuff from me in our house since I've never been in it!

2. If you hide it in your car and she takes it out for a drive and gets stopped, she's in for a load of trouble if searched for whatever reason (this is assuming that you yourself have a LTCH) - and I'm guessing she wouldn't be very happy with you.

3. If an intruder did make their way into the house and found the gun before she did, you might really regret that fact later. I want to know the where and number of guns in my house so that I can be aware enough to head straight for that spot/s before the intruder does even if only to know that they're not using it on me. Although I'm usually close enough to a carry gun (mine or the hubby's) to do some damage even if the intruder does find the rest of the stash.

Just my :twocents:. If you think your marriage is rocky now, taking the advice of hiding a gun purchase from your wife will certainly turn your home life into a mountain climbing disaster.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sorry to hear about your situation, belive me I have been there!
    I agree with many of the previous posts. It is most likely a fear of guns rather than hatred. Most people not just women that do not know about guns are scared of them. I don't necessarily think that is a bad thing though. A gun is a weapon and can kill people, if you do not know how to handle one properly you should be scared in my opinion. I will admit I know I was kind of scared the first time I ever fired a gun. I would just try to include her in your hobby, if she wants nothing to do with guns then that is fine too. Her choice and her loss then.

On the bright side if she is willing to learn about guns, at least with my personal experiences, people that are scared of guns make the best listeners! :) The worst thing about teaching a new shooter is when they want to act like they already know it all and do not want to ask for help because they will feel embarassed or something. Good luck!!

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Wow.
    Just remember...You picked her.

No kidding.

My SO is out Christmas shopping right now with her M&P in tandem - she really enjoys shooting whenever she can. We garden together, read a lot of the same books, enjoy a lot of the same activities, etc... Life is good!

She has her hobbies and I have mine, but we're both smart enough to understand what makes each other tick and what makes each other happy, and we love each other enough to respect it.

If a persons relationship is nothing but drama and gnashing of teeth then a second look at it is probably in order. But don't for a second conclude that it's somehow "normal" or how things are supposed to be - it's not.

Granted, I waited for a long time to find the right one, but it was totally worth the wait!

45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I can understand where you are coming from. My wife is anti gun, she freaks out at the sight of a gun and I have a lot of them.
    What I found helpful was to tell her the truth and that is that one of biggest reason that I carry a gun is to protect her. She still does not like guns and freaks out when she finds my carry pistol a pocket, but she know that the guns are not going away.

I hope that helps at least a little.

Manan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    West Central
    So I finally get enough money to buy a handgun...a Ruger P95 9mm, after having to sell my other guns (except for one shotgun) three years ago when we fell on hard times, and she is giving me total crap. Now I'm not saying we don't have some other problems in our marriage, but damn I think I'm with the wrong woman!

I got a good rifle for my wife.

Good trade. :dunno:

rtrouten

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My wife hates the idea that I like to own let alone carry. I have had many discussions with her about it, and she says that we should just agree to disagree. That was till today, I earned a few points!! I had my PP with me and we walking into Macys today and on the front door it is posted clear as day, NO GUNS, so I said babe I will be right back. Came back to the store and meet back up with my Wife and daughter and she said Thank you. With out one word she knew at that point I dont carry to draw attention and scream 2nd amendment and I respect all sides. Even though I dont like the fact that they dont welcome it, I am still willing to compromise. That is the key to HAPPY MARRIAGE

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    So I finally get enough money to buy a handgun...a Ruger P95 9mm, after having to sell my other guns (except for one shotgun) three years ago when we fell on hard times, and she is giving me total crap. Now I'm not saying we don't have some other problems in our marriage, but damn I think I'm with the wrong woman!

Dump her.

BUCK HINKLE

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2009
    greenfield
    Woah there bucko, that changes everything. We talk about being willing to die or kill for our kids here and we generally mean it. The same goes for doing anything it takes to make the marriage work, anything, just for your daughter.

Statistics do not bear this out. Having a difficult marriage puts that girl in a better place than a divorce hands down. Yeah, sucks now, but guess how bad it will be when some other guy, a far, far worse guy is raising your kid for you, and putting her future out of your hands.

And as for having guns? Divorce/Separation is the fastest way to having no guns at all thanks to Lautenberg. Guaranteed.

Keep your eyes on the prize, make it 15 more years, and save your kid.

Sure, there may be a day you need a gun, but without question every day your daughter needs you!

Hang tight, please, for her.

Just to be clear for all the step-parents out their. Some step-parents could be the best thing that ever happened to a child. I know zip about anyone here but I know I am a step dad and I work very hard to raise my kids as it they are mine.. sorry this is very sensitive subject for me

Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I'll admit that I didn't read all of the post between alpha and omega, but if she hated guns, what did she say about the ones you had when you first got together. Perhaps she is angry that after "hard times" you went out and made a major purchase without talking about it? She wasn't harping on you about the shotgun was she? If you're in it together, then things are a whole lot better...

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Woah there bucko, that changes everything. We talk about being willing to die or kill for our kids here and we generally mean it. The same goes for doing anything it takes to make the marriage work, anything, just for your daughter.

Statistics do not bear this out. Having a difficult marriage puts that girl in a better place than a divorce hands down. Yeah, sucks now, but guess how bad it will be when some other guy, a far, far worse guy is raising your kid for you, and putting her future out of your hands.

And as for having guns? Divorce/Separation is the fastest way to having no guns at all thanks to Lautenberg. Guaranteed.

Keep your eyes on the prize, make it 15 more years, and save your kid.

Sure, there may be a day you need a gun, but without question every day your daughter needs you!

Hang tight, please, for her.

Yes, yes, and more yes.

The one most statistically important factor for all kinds of positive outcomes for children is having a father in the home. Notice I didn't say "two parents" which is also important. Not one major thing has a more positive outcome on children than a father in the house.

mx_chick_42

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Syracuse, IN
    i agree with getting her to go out with some of us women that carry. i didnt really care to carry untill that incident in chicago when the guy held 6 women captive in a store then shoot them all killing all but one. it also freaked out my b/f cause he si not always there to protect me, so he got me my first gun and started showing me the ropes. maybe talk to her about that sort of scenario where you would rather have one. plus i would rather have a gun and not need it than not have a gun and need it

floatch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    Yes, yes, and more yes.

The one most statistically important factor for all kinds of positive outcomes for children is having a father in the home. Notice I didn't say "two parents" which is also important. Not one major thing has a more positive outcome on children than a father in the house.

Whoa, powerful words here. This guy knows what he's talking about. I heartily agree. I'm an elementary schoolteacher, and see evidence of this truth on a daily basis.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    communication is the key to any relationship , the original post said he sold all his guns when he fell on hard times , and now that he has finally found a way to buy one handgun she is giving him crap.
    Maybe you can barter things with her , tell her you will agree to her being able to spend an equal amount on something she likes.
    I don't know how long you've been together but this is hardly a reason to get a divorce , it's simply a disagreement, take her out to dinner and hear her out.
    My wife isn't very fond of guns either , but she will go to the 1500 with me , even though she could care less , but in return I have to go to the mall with her and I hate the mall , we discuss all purchases in advance , if I plan on buying a Kimber , then I better plan on letting her buy a big ticket item also, and if I don't , then I know I owe her one , and believe me I know the day will come when she calls me on it too.

Top Bottom