My wife is a gun hater and I'm sick of it.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Quote from SilentWarrior1:
    Back when I first started carrying, my wife often asked: "Do you have to take that thing with you everywhere?"

I didn't go into any tirade, I answered simply, "Yes."

She tried to pull the, "I'm not going anywhere with you if you carry that thing" bit, and I simply said, "Alright, but you're going to be spending a lot of lonely nights by yourself."

And she did.

She finally conceded to the idea that I was going to carry regardless of what she said or did. I didn't force the idea on her, but I was firm and consistent. I figured, if anything drastic was going to be done, it would be done by her and she would then be responsible for anything that happened.

She doesn't have to like it... but she'll respect it or she can leave. I once told my wife to never make me choose between her and my guns. She wouldn't like the outcome.

She's came around to having her own guns and getting her LTCH some time ago. She still doesn't carry, but I'm not going to press that either. I figure she'll come around to that eventually, if she does at all.

I believe this applies here as well.

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Sad to hear. My wife only gives me poo when I leave one out which hardly ever happens. Just remember the reasons you married her in the first place. Guns or no guns you can still be happy if you work through your problems. We had alot of issues in the early years of our marriage and I questioned if she was the "one" but we let the Lord create a base we can go to when we have problems. No marriage is worth a gun especially if kids are involved. Just my .02. Praying for ya.

ryanrw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I can relate, but maybe not to your extent. I will say that it's been a slow process, but mine is finally coming around. Preach safety, bring up issues that tend to have a "pro-gun" angle, talk politics, try to get her involved somehow (bb guns and .22's). It's tough, man. But you've got to gradually get her to that point where she doesn't view them as evil.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Try this approach

Having just started Dave Ramsey's Fianancial Peace University, he said somthing interesting about money, that would work for Firearms. He says that money is AMORAL. Meaning without morals not good, not bad it only becomes good or evil when someone uses it for a purpose. Guns are the same, they are AMORAL, not good, not evil, but simply a tool to be used for a purpose determined by the user. This isn't something that hasen't already been said before...but maybe not quite this way. :ingo:

3gunshooter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Williamsport
    My wife and her family were pretty much anti gun. After some good talking to and some pictures of people murdered in their homes now my wife carries and her mother and stepfather are buying gun like there is no tomorrow. Its all in the presentation and they seen how fun shooting is when i took them out. Good luck

7.62shooter2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Central Illinois
    My wife and her family were pretty much anti gun. After some good talking to and some pictures of people murdered in their homes now my wife carries and her mother and stepfather are buying gun like there is no tomorrow. Its all in the presentation and they seen how fun shooting is when i took them out. Good luck

I think this is a sound approach. Parents can have a significant impact on changing their children's minds. Even when they are adults. Of course this is based on a good relationship between them. At least this is true in my experiences.

I guess I selected my mate based on similar beliefs. My ex wife bought me several guns for holidays and b-days ... second wife as well. Don't come around causing mischief ... I have no doubt my second wife will empty the clip in you. She makes me proud! :draw: :patriot:

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    my fiancee just gets mad if i carry more than one. or if i take a long gun (read keltec sub2k) along. really wish she would be less touchy on the subject. oh and she's been shooting with me before. she's a pretty good shot and fairly competent with loading, unloading, and fixing simple malfunctions. maybe its one of those oh she'll come around things.

tuoder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Meridian-Kessler, Indianapolis
    Just another reason to add to my extensive list of reasons why to never have children.

Women and children are tactical liabilities.

:): Now that is funny. All this good advise and he is not even listening. :dunno:

Others can benefit from good advice when they find themselves in a similar situation provided that they learn to use the search tool effectively.

I've told my girlfriend of a few years that in any situation, if she asks me to choose between X and her, I will always choose X. It isn't because I don't love her, it's because I don't love coercion. If she wants to have a discussion about gun locks and safes and things like that, then fine. If she wants to tell me what I may or may not do in my free time, then the answer is no.

fw501

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Sorry to hear that. That said, I have a friend who is an attorney (yeah I know...) He always tells me "its cheaper to keep her and have a girlfriend".
    My problem is I'd get caught, thats my luck!:whistle:

Top Bottom