• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Tickets! Did somebody mention tickets for the Indy 500? The race that used to be "the greatest spectacle in racing" and is now just a spectacle? Several years ago I worked with a IN National Guard soldier who was detailed to IPD as part of the Guard's Counter Drug Initiative. Early in May she asked if anybody needed tickets to the 500. A co-worker asked how many she could get. She replied "how many do you want?" Her unit was given several hundred and very few were used so they were encouraged to give them away. They weren't by any means the best seats in the place but the Speedway was giving away hundreds so they could continue to claim a sellout. Go back to drivers you could see racing a sprint car every Friday or Saturday night, whose name you could pronounce, and you could buy him a beer at the White Front or The Checkered Flag tavern. Yeah, I know. $$$$$$$$

My NASCAR complaint? They don't have enough races.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    They've had tube chassis cars since at least the early to mid 80s.
    Making everything fit the same templates is what drove me away. And the intermissions suck as well as their qualifying format.

I used to be an avid fan when they were still "factory" chassis cars, never missing a race on the tube. Knew all the info you could at the time on the various teams and drivers but when the tube cars showed up and then ultimately all started looking alike they lost me. Hell, the only difference on the outside at least is the decal package to make it look like a Honda, ford or chevy.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    If anybody watches dale jr download, he talked about getting the costs down making a big difference in the entertainment. He goes into detail about the affects of prices, but racing is struggling across all series, not just the mainstream. Bring costs down to entice more to get involved in the sport and the sport will naturally grow. Make it a rich mans sport like it has become and you will only have few rich guys driving and watching. Also let em race! Quit with the punishment every time someone bumps someone. Let them handle it. NASCAR has oversanctioned

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Is NASCAR still a thing?...

Barely...

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Fthumbnails%2Fblog_5153%2Fpt_5153_1376_o.jpg%3Ft%3D1536055213

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    If anybody watches dale jr download, he talked about getting the costs down making a big difference in the entertainment. He goes into detail about the affects of prices, but racing is struggling across all series, not just the mainstream. Bring costs down to entice more to get involved in the sport and the sport will naturally grow. Make it a rich mans sport like it has become and you will only have few rich guys driving and watching. Also let em race! Quit with the punishment every time someone bumps someone. Let them handle it. NASCAR has oversanctioned

The "Good old Boys" and add in the occasional ruckus and it made it a successful sport. Filled the stands, brought in sponsors, and got TV on board.
    Bite the hand that feeds you and you'll go hungry. It shouldn't be that difficult to remember.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Any of y'all been to an F1 race? I saw 2 of them when they were in Indy. Now THAT was cool. Not the same as TV, for sure. I'd go again, if they came back,.

We used to have tickets on the front stretch for Indy back in the 1990's. It got so bad, they would let ticket holders sit ANYWHERE in the grandstands to make it look full. We finally just stopped getting tickets. My FIL would read the paper during the race...

Road trip to the Grand Prix de Montreal? :dunno:

All the complaints can be boiled down to one thing

Money ruins racing

F1 has far, far more money in it than NASCAR, and it's vastly superior. Heck, most all other racing series makes NASCAR look like troglodytes. Sure, financial inequality naturally prevents poorer teams from winning, but what are you, Bug, some kind of pinko commie? ;)

In NASCAR, the steering wheels don't have any LCD display, there's a bunch of heavy, oversized toggle switches like from a 1960's missile complex, the engines are commonplace and inefficient, the wheels use lug nuts, they're always fawning over their sponsors, fuel is delivered from some weird bucket, the drivers are fat and out of shape*, the body is just some generic skin with stickers, and braking and acceleration is only needed for pit stops.

And of course being Canadian, I have a natural bias to equate Southern accents with all the stereotypes.

* Look no further than Juan Pablo Montoya - he was too fat for F1, and since transferring to NASCAR, he's only balloon.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

F1 has far, far more money in it than NASCAR, and it's vastly superior. Heck, most all other racing series makes NASCAR look like troglodytes. Sure, financial inequality naturally prevents poorer teams from winning, but what are you, Bug, some kind of pinko commie? ;)

In NASCAR, the steering wheels don't have any LCD display, there's a bunch of heavy, oversized toggle switches like from a 1960's missile complex, the engines are commonplace and inefficient, the wheels use lug nuts, they're always fawning over their sponsors, fuel is delivered from some weird bucket, the drivers are fat and out of shape*, the body is just some generic skin with stickers, and braking and acceleration is only needed for pit stops.

And of course being Canadian, I have a natural bias to equate Southern accents with all the stereotypes.

* Look no further than Juan Pablo Montoya - he was too fat for F1, and since transferring to NASCAR, he's only balloon.

F1 doesn't have the same roots as NASCAR though. I doubt anyone was running moonshine down gravel roads in a supercharged open wheel car. ;)

"Now Daddy ran whiskey in a big block Dodge
    Bought it at an auction at the Mason's Lodge
    Johnson County Sheriff painted on the side
    Just shot a coat of primer then he looked inside

Well him and my uncle tore that engine down
    I still remember that rumblin' sound"

-- Steve Earle

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    F1 doesn't have the same roots as NASCAR though. I doubt anyone was running moonshine down gravel roads in a supercharged open wheel car. ;)

I get that. If you want to stick to the heritage, then loose the comical body "styles" and go back to stock cars.

And then go race on a dirt road from point A to B and turn both ways.

Oh, wait, that's exactly what rally car racing is and it's far, far more entertaining. ;)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

1...there is on no level any comparison between the 2 series. 1 is bull riding and the other go kart racine albeit some very high tech go karts.

2.....the dash boards in NASCAR have actually come into the new age. All digital. Wow, go figure. There is no high tech traction controls or fuel management to deal with on a NASCAR. In the day these cars were built and raced out of peoples garages.

3.....there is nothing common place about the engines in that series. You or I will never see one just here or there. They make some very serious power with the push rod designs that us good-ole boy troglodytes like. North of 800 HP. It takes that to push them to near 190/200 MPH.

4...you try and hang one of those cans during a pit stop I dare you.

5....The 5 lug wheels are about as close as they get to being "Stock"

NASCAR "Was" a mans sport. Key word here is "Was".....It has been sissified, made political correct and is ran by a group of non-racer college kids that have no clue.

F-1 in all its high tech wonder is a snotty elitist series. Most of those drivers would not last 3 laps in a dirt sprinter. Jeff Gordan actually wheeled Juan P's F-1 car around the track with some modicum of cool.
    F-1 in its hay day when those beautiful machines were hand built was a glorious series full of advancements and mechanical spender. Now, it too has been over sanctioned.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I get that. If you want to stick to the heritage, then loose the comical body "styles" and go back to stock cars.

And then go race on a dirt road from point A to B and turn both ways.

Oh, wait, that's exactly what rally car racing is and it's far, far more entertaining. ;)

You are completely missing the point. "Sigh"

Yes, Rally is really great but not comparable.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Hey man! I was told I'm suppose to complain in this thread! :):

Just trying to do as told. ;)

And a fine job you are doing.
    I believe most of us were one time fans. When bubba built a car and came out to do battle. And like anything the sport grew and the cars became more refined examples of actual stock cars and those boys would ride those bulls for 500 miles on a high bank track in the hot southern sun. The fans would sit on the campers swilling beers and eating off the grill. The girls would dress appropriately. Great times.
    Then the big money big race transports big shops invaded our world. They manipulated the rules so the cars would stay packed up and all the sponsors got ample camera time. Now we have a field of cookie cutter template's with decals stating a brand on them. Complete Bull****.

Thats how you complain.....:):

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I think they should put more restrictor plates to use in every race. That way no one can pass or even race. The Liberals will love it. Every team gets a participation trophy and get taken out for ice cream after the race.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ljmiddleton3
    Top Bottom