• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Everybody remembers that Louis XVI was king of France at the time of the French Revolution. (Ok, maybe not everyone, but some people do.)To be fair, Churchmouse is the only one that could really say he remembers, since he was there.

No one really remembers that the decisions that created the pressure that culminated in the revolution were made my many predecessors over a long period of time.

Trump's decisions are properly viewed in that context. Has every "national emergency" been an actual, real emergency? Has that definition been diluted over time?

If he goes through with this, that continued dilution will allow for a variety of scenarios to appear more of an "emergency" that needs dealt with by executive power.
    My one point of contention.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Raise your hand if you think any of your elected representatives will have read the thousand and some odd pages of legalese in the 24 hours they had to digest this new budget proposal.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Raise your hand if you think any of your elected representatives will have read the thousand and some odd pages of legalese in the 24 hours they had to digest this new budget proposal.

HAHAHA!!!

She's gonna sign it link the Chamber of Commerce coolie she is.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Serious question: Isn't that how despotic regimes start? Stack the court with sycophants, then start making laws and the courts stand by and respond...

Well, in my admittedly cursory review of history, I think despotic regimes start in many different ways. :)

The way you describe - controlling the organs of government that make decisions - is one path to autocracy in democratic republics.

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    I haven't seen this much crap since the Yeager Humping threads. :n00b:

EJyp0Pg.jpg

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Then should Congress do their job and rescind this law?

MN

That's a bit of a red herring.

Like I said, almost all of those don't involve any significant expenditure, and none have massive infrastructure tied to them. I.e. I believe those aren't in the purview of Congress.

And yes, Congress should do something, but I doubt McConnell, Trump's lap dog, will do anything.

mrrogers91

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    So, does a "national emergency" trump the constitution? What is the definition of a national emergency?

No pun intended.

sure... no pun intended... lol

in all seriousness this idea of just throwing around terms like this makes me very nervous about my rights in the coming years.
    time to start caching "ghost" weapons and ammo i think

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Regardless of the legislation, POTUS has executive authority. Generally, that includes the autonomy to deal with emergencies. By most definitions, those are things that you can't really plan for.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I always thought that securing the borders was one of the few things given to the federal government. So if congress won't do it, it should fall on another branch, in this case the executive to secure the borders. Therefore an emergency action to secure the southern border is well within the constitutional provisions.

As for Nancy of Sisco, an emergency ruling on firearms would be unconstitutional, but that has never stopped her in the past.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I always thought that securing the borders was one of the few things given to the federal government. So if congress won't do it, it should fall on another branch, in this case the executive to secure the borders. Therefore an emergency action to secure the southern border is well within the constitutional provisions.

As for Nancy of Sisco, an emergency ruling on firearms would be unconstitutional, but that has never stopped her in the past.

How would you know it is not constitutional until you passed it, enforced it, and finally had a court tell you for certain that it's unconstitutional?

draftsman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 5, 2012
    Greenfield
    If the policies, handouts and IRS loopholes for illegals were changed fewer of them would want to come here in the first place. Is any party discussing that?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...Generally, that includes the autonomy to deal with emergencies. By most definitions, those are things that you can't really plan for.

Like, say, not being able to plan for something you campaigned on years ago, haven't done much about in almost 2 years, then when Congress changes hands, picking the "hill to die on", losing and deciding he can spend money allocated elsewhere on whatever he likes?

I get it. No way he could have planned for this.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    If the policies, handouts and IRS loopholes for illegals were changed fewer of them would want to come here in the first place. Is any party discussing that?

Why?

We're too busy cheering Trump for something we would have called Obama a dictator for doing.

Top Bottom