• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    In all seriousness how many more times will this happen before a sandbag wall is implemented at the 1500?

Every time, every single time, you load or unload the weapon can discharge and it does not matter where your finger is.

IF we have to unload them, then the 1500 should have a designated fiddle area instead of letting Jethro and Cledus jack with them "in the parking lot".

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    In all seriousness how many more times will this happen before a sandbag wall is implemented at the 1500?

Every time, every single time, you load or unload the weapon can discharge and it does not matter where your finger is.

IF we have to unload them, then the 1500 should have a designated fiddle area instead of letting Jethro and Cledus jack with them "in the parking lot".
    Haha, yup.

These sort of incidents aren't making gun owners look good, that's for sure. I cringe every time I hear of something like this.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    It's happening once per show and everytime I point out how unsafe the gun handling is at the 1500 I just get open mouths and shrugged shoulders.

Someone, not me (because I carry a framing hammer at gun shows), is going to get shot dead by some doofus with his Kel-tec because he does not understand that each and every time you load or unload the weapon can discharge. I have been told over and over throughout the gun culture to "just unload it in the parking lot". Parking lots do not have magic force fields.

Unloading it does NOT make it safe and by coonfingering the gun it creates another opportunity for it to go bang. IF we must jack with the guns at the gun show because we are playing with the lowest common denominator, then for the love of John Browning let's get a safe fiddle area instead of having 38th Street or riccing into Jasper's smelly beer gut as a backstop.

kevman65

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    Indy
    Unfortunately, in the area the show is located, a firearm discharging is not uncommon. We may never know if it was intentional or not.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I may recall incorrectly, but didn't we have clearing barrels a couple decades ago? Maybe even as recent as 10 years? This last time I went the only thing I saw was the "flower area" on the Southside of the main entrance to the 1500. It's still better than the parking lot.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If I ever have to go to the show I would make sure to wear a vest, I hear the same story all the time and that doesn't make me want to go.
    Kirk is right once again about safety issues.

If you are carrying, loaded or unloaded, just dont take your gun out of the holster.
    No accident will happen that way.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    You can't not. They ask you on the way in, and have big "unload guns here" signs. The nice officers want to put a nylon tie through your action. Reckon you could lie to them, but we're the good guys, right?

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    While any gun could go off due to a mechanical issue, something tells me that is just not happening here. There is no way to prove this, without clear cut video evidence, but I would bet more on people pulling triggers than some sort of mechanical issue with the firearm. It does seem like it is happening at every show, but what do we expect? The last show I went to was two or three years ago, maybe even longer than that. I definitely have never been to the show when it seemed "packed to the walls," which seems to be a general description of every show for the last two to three years. More people just means more likelihood of an ND.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Did we ever get any confirmation on a ND? That area does have the occasional sporadic gunshot. Unloading barrels might be of some help.

zenbruno

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    If I ever have to go to the show I would make sure to wear a vest, I hear the same story all the time and that doesn't make me want to go.
    Kirk is right once again about safety issues.

If you are carrying, loaded or unloaded, just dont take your gun out of the holster.
    No accident will happen that way.

Sylvain, except that, in the case of the 1500 (and probably other gun shows, as well), you have to unholster, unload and present your weapon(s) at the entrance to be zip-tied and rendered "safe" for the duration of your visit on the premises. Of course, this is assuming that each show participant follows the requested safety protocol, which, admittedly, is based on the honor system.

So, the idea of designating a "safe area" for weapon loading / unloading, to me, is a good one! :yesway:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sylvain, except that, in the case of the 1500 (and probably other gun shows, as well), you have to unholster, unload and present your weapon(s) at the entrance to be zip-tied and rendered "safe" for the duration of your visit on the premises. Of course, this is assuming that each show participant follows the requested safety protocol, which, admittedly, is based on the honor system.

So, the idea of designating a "safe area" for weapon loading / unloading, to me, is a good one! :yesway:

So all the ND always happen when people try to unload their gun before they get it?
    It's never a guy that didn't tell he had a loaded gun on him and for some reasons took it out of the holster to play with it inside?

Im just curious.

I agree that a safe area to unload is a must if you are asked to unload.
    But if for some reasons you decide to stay armed then do it but dont take the gun out of the holster at any time.
    It's even safer than having to take it out, rack the slide on a live round in front of people and realoading after.

Top Bottom