• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    If I'm not mistaken NRA had no qualms about concealed carry at the convention when it was in Indianapolis but you can't carry on their ranges??? To another point, no pun intended. I was shooting at Point Blank and noticed that one of their instructors had a student in the range but the instructor's holstered pistol had no magazine in it. I asked the RO and he said they weren't allowed to teach with a loaded gun in their holster?????? You are teaching firearms safety but you are not considered responsible or competent enough to be trusted to keep a loaded pistol in the holster while you teach?
    The longer I live the more things I see that make absolutely NO sense. Just my two "sense" pun intended.
    There is a difference in sense, scents, since and cents. :)
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    Glock certified armorer- M&P Certified armorer
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Zombieman34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Wells, Co
    Like was said before these rules have been in place at Huntington Res/Roush lake range since it opened. The one second rule makes since to me especially when you see all the holes in the baffles right above the firing line, same goes with holster use. Not everybody that shows up at these ranges is that experience to do advanced shooting drills put that doesn't stop them from trying, hence the dents in the close baffles. Does that stink and hinder practice time diffidently, hopefully there are other places to shoot that are close that will let practice advance drills. Recently Hillside Shooting had to tighten up some of their rules because somebody sent a over the 12 berm and into town 1/4 mile away.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    If I'm not mistaken NRA had no qualms about concealed carry at the convention when it was in Indianapolis but you can't carry on their ranges??? To another point, no pun intended. I was shooting at Point Blank and noticed that one of their instructors had a student in the range but the instructor's holstered pistol had no magazine in it. I asked the RO and he said they weren't allowed to teach with a loaded gun in their holster?????? You are teaching firearms safety but you are not considered responsible or competent enough to be trusted to keep a loaded pistol in the holster while you teach?
    The longer I live the more things I see that make absolutely NO sense. Just my two "sense" pun intended.
    There is a difference in sense, scents, since and cents. :)
    [FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member [/FONT]NRA Basic pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] /[/FONT][FONT=&amp] RSO[/FONT]
    [FONT=&amp]“[/FONT]Safety is not something that you hold in your hands, it happens between your ears”
    Col. Jeff Cooper

Many instructors use blue or orange guns when teaching, so they know absolutly whether it is a gun or a prop. There have been shootings reported where LEO's practicing force on force with blue bullets in their service weapons have been shot afterwards because they thought it was still loaded with blue bullets.

I actually believe that the instructors at Point Blank are in danger because they are using a real gun.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Many instructors use blue or orange guns when teaching, so they know absolutly whether it is a gun or a prop. There have been shootings reported where LEO's practicing force on force with blue bullets in their service weapons have been shot afterwards because they thought it was still loaded with blue bullets.

I actually believe that the instructors at Point Blank are in danger because they are using a real gun.

In danger of what? How would you teach anyone to use a firearm without a real firearm in the range? Although I know Point blank does teach a CCW skills class but they will not allow drawing from a holster? Still haven't figured out how you do that.
    I use a blue gun or SIRT pistol for demonstration when I teach but I don't disarm myself. What does it say about me as instructor if I am so undisciplined that I can't have the pistol I use for personal defense loaded and on my person while I teach?

Col. Jeff Cooper

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Can all these DNR locations regulate carry and post it as a GFZ that's enforceable with a sign? I thought the only reason Roush Lake could get away with it was because it is a army corps of engineers area.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I know that no instructor has ever had an AD, ND, shot himself or others, But Maybe it could happen to someone else beside you some day. Hubris.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Can all these DNR locations regulate carry and post it as a GFZ that's enforceable with a sign? I thought the only reason Roush Lake could get away with it was because it is a army corps of engineers area.
    From best i can tell and again im not an atty.
    The DNR rules are not law. So you are not breaking a law by oc/cc. You are breaking dnr rules which the state has given dnr the authority to fine you. Just like you can go fishing without a fishing license. Well you can but if dnr fines out they will fine you and then make you leave the pond/water hole/etc you were at.

The same concept here. You will get fined, they will remove you from the range for some time.

I suspect it will take legislative action to stop this.

sheepdog697

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 2, 2015
    Cedar Lake
    Not a big fan of the no holstering firearms. Instead you will have inexperienced gun owners, or users carrying their firearms to the lane muzzle flashing everything and anything.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I know that no instructor has ever had an AD, ND, shot himself or others, But Maybe it could happen to someone else beside you some day. Hubris.
    When it happened it wasn't a holstered firearm that went off. I know it's happened but if you have the least bit of discipline and keep the firearm holstered it WILL NOT happen. I can make a mistake and have made them but I don't handle my EDC during my classes so this is a mistake I won't make. .. I'll quote John Wayne.. Life is tough, it's even tougher if you are stupid. Call it hubris or what you want but don't assume because some idiot made a mistake I will make the same mistake. Maybe you know people that handle loaded firearms absentmindedly but you obviously don't know me.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    INGO member Joe arrives at DNR range OC his GLOCK

First of all, glocks are icky.
    Second, I never start trouble with the ROs.
    Third, these new rules are stupid AF, but unfortunately people are too.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Being new to Indiana, how often are these places filled up with a wait line?
    I usually get to Winamac early, like when they open or shortly after and never had to wait. Not sure about after 2 or so because I'm leaving by than, but I really don't remember anyone waiting. Granted, like Ballstater said, nice weather or season will pack it up but again I don't remember people having to wait.

Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Porter county
    I went to Winamac yesterday. The only range that was crowded all day was the 200 yard, there is only one table. I was at the 25 and went halfway down to do some pistol shooting, I was the only one there. The RO came and told me "We do not go close anymore". He was not mean about it, just making the sure the new rules are obeyed. I am just going to somewhere else from now on. T

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Sadly winamac has no way of putting a handgun range ie under 10' due to space limitations.

JP will be doing an upgrade and shortern on of their lanes for handguns. That project is in the works.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Being new to Indiana, how often are these places filled up with a wait line?

The last time I was at the Winamac range (month ago) the RO and I had a conversation about the busiest days for the range. He told me that the busiest day is Sundays. I asked about Mondays? He said that the locals wait and come on Mondays because they do not like to deal with the peoples Republic of Illinois crowd.

Top Bottom